ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   Parking brake probs... (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/parking-brake-probs-8333/)

Carl's Z 01-29-2004 08:16 PM

Parking brake probs...

Ok, when I put on the parking brake, and then release it, it "hangs up", meaning I have to fight the rear brakes for 2-3 miles before the cable will release the calipers all the way. I really need to replace the whole cable (calipers are new). Meanwhile, what I'm wondering, is can I just go ahead and cut the cable now and let it go like that for awhile, since I think it's causing my rear brakes to hum sometimes? I haven't used the handbrake but maybe 3-4 times in two years, and I don't forsee using it until I can replace the cabling. Any problems with doing that??

Thanks...

AllmyZs 01-30-2004 06:23 AM

No problems doing it. i ahve had 3 Z,s with out e- brake cables. Just make sure it doesnt drag on the ground when you cut it. You also might just want to disconnect it. good luck

Bleach 01-30-2004 07:44 AM

Dang, I've been fighting rear brake problems ever since I've owned my 280zx. Right now I have the same problem. One side froze up pretty solid. I use my parking brake all the time though.

I finally just disconnected the end from the caliper on the side that sticks. The other side still works at about 50% pressure. So that's basically 25% of my factory parking brake hold. :rolleyes:

I got the cable to replace it but I'm lazy....

Carl's Z 01-30-2004 05:50 PM

How much was the cable you got, and where'd you get it, Bleach??

Did you get the whole thing, from the lever back?

duckyz 01-30-2004 07:27 PM

Well...my parking brake ripped right out of the floor!!!! I had to drill and tap holes to fix that.....what a pain, I wish I had a welder.

Skully 01-31-2004 09:18 AM

same with mine ill hafta put in a new bracket and slap it back in there...

Bleach 01-31-2004 12:18 PM

I was lucky. I got just the rear section that connects the two calipers. Mine cost me $10 on eBay. I think those things run $70+ from the dealer... and mine is brand new in the Nissan package. :D

I heard a rumor that you can get a generic brake cable and make it fit for applications like the 280ZX. I'd be interested in trying that for my Maxima. (same suspension/brakes as the ZX)

Carl's Z 01-31-2004 08:17 PM

Well, what I think happened was this car had a MAJOR oil pan leak when I bought it. The under carriage was completely covered with old oil. I didn't really look, but I'm pretty sure the spring where the forward and rear cables meet is probably gummed up pretty good, so that the spring cannot return the cable to it's "idle" position. Anyways, I think I'll just disconnect the whole cable from the lever back to the wheels and wait to find a whole new rig when I see a good price...

Thanks all ;)