ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   no newbie area really (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/no-newbie-area-really-6326/)

roninuta 07-11-2003 11:52 AM

no newbie area really

Hello all - this is my first post here so please forgive if I error in the posting rules (I'm sure a mod will assist me later).

There is no real area for newbies that want to start a restore project. I have a 79 280zx 2+2 that runs, not well but it runs. The interior and the right fender need a lot of work as well as the fule system (I don't know what part but there is fuel leakin on the manifold - one of the reasons I had to stop driving it for a while).

Basic questions - how do I start on this restore? Where is a good place to start?

Thanks in advance for any help.

icice9 07-11-2003 12:18 PM

your engine is always the best palce to start... before you do anything else to the car you should get it running like a champ.. the most probable cause of your fuel leak on your intake manifold are worn out injectors.. most of the time you can tell which injector is leaking cuz thats where your fuel puddle is.. replace all of your injectors or jsut the one thats leaking.. then get the car tuned up.. change all your filters fuel , oil air. change all your fluids.. spark plugs spark plug wires distributer cap and rotors.. replace any hose that has cracks or anything on the engine you can see that might need to be replaced.. and hopefuly after that your car should be running a lot better...

roninuta 07-11-2003 12:29 PM

thanks

Thanks Ice!

That's a pretty serious list - but a good place to start I think. Also - your Z freaking rocks. I saw your pics a few days ago through a friend. It is what inspired me to restore mine.

Thanks for the sage advice too - do you have any suggestions on where to get the parts from? I don't trust the local Nissan dealership at all.

I will try to get some pics tonight of the engine and body as it is and post it on cardomain.

icice9 07-11-2003 12:40 PM

i replaced all my injectors about 2 years ago.. i went with refurbished ones i got for around $30 a piece.. i got them at my local auto parts store.. theyre alot cheaper then the dealers price which is around $85 each..

roninuta 07-12-2003 12:04 PM

a start

Well even though it has been sitting unstarted for the last 10 months - it kicked over last night after a 20min jump.

I took some photos and will post soon. Here is the link.my zcar.

yomammaZ 07-22-2003 11:34 PM

Hey Ronin! Your Z looks a heck of a lot better than the Z that I started out with. If you are looking to spruce up the interior a rear cargo mat and rear interior trim panel (the one underneath the hatch) from a late 80s 300ZX will fit in there nicely. Plus, the rear trim panel is made of solid plastic instead of that cheap particle board wrapped in vinyl, as found on the 280ZX. I just ended up ditching my back seat because it was an eyesore and the 300ZX cargo mat covers the area just fine.

After you replace the injectors, make sure to adjust the valves. They have probably never been touched. Also, this might be a good time to replace all of your vacuum lines and your breather hose. Check your timing too, and make sure that the cooling system is still up to par.

Good luck with this project!

roninuta 07-23-2003 06:08 AM

thanks

Thanks for the help yomammaZ, the hardest thing right now is finding a place to do a tear down. I have no garage in the apartment complex and my parents (where the Z is currently) has their's filled with their stuff.

I am looking now for a place that will let me have enough space as well as store it. I think replacing parts will be easy - this is the hard part....

Thanks - I'm always open to advice so please keep it coming.