280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New to forum with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM

New to forum with some questions.

I just joined this forum because I am considering buying a 1979 ZX for my son. I have friend that has had this 280ZX in his garage for the past 4 years. He wants to recover his space in the garage and wants to sell it. He told me that he drove it to the garage and it ran fine at the time (heard this one before) and that all it needs is a new battery and clean gas to get it going.
The car has 160K miles, there is no rust or cancer anywhere that I could tell when I inspected it; it is a California car. The body looks pretty straigh with the exception of a few dings and an "oil can" dent on hump of the hood, also the clear coat is starting to flake because he used the wrong kind of rubbing compound to get of oxidation and made it dull and flaky. The interior looks ok, but needs cleaning and of course the dash is cracked.
He told me make him an offer and after I did my homework on the Internet, I think $500.00 is about right.
Without looking and the car and based on the info do you guys think this is a fair price?
Also what kinds of things do I need to do before I try to start the engine other than putting clean gas in it?
I noticed that it will need new tires and the front pass side strut is bouncy.

Thanks,

AT
Old 10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Über User

if it really does run fine...500 is reasonable..or 700
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 PM
User Friendly

Welcome, zxxyzx! Yes, $500 sounds reasonable, based on the car's current condition and problems. I'd recommend replacing the fuel filter when you drain the gas tank. Please keep us updated, and post some pix if you get her.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 PM

hey if he'll let it go for 500 thats great but from wat ur sayin a 79 280zx in fair conidition with no rust is worth way more than that but go for it he wants to get rid of take advantage n get it cheap these r great cars n im sure ur son would luv it
Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 PM

And make sure he doesnt read that ^^^ post in the mean time
Old 10-31-2006, 04:37 AM

Hell, I'd offer him a case of beer and a bottle of whiskey. Seems to be workin' for me!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:06 AM
The Evil Twin

ya, I've seen decent 280ZX's that don't run selling for $800 to FREE. It depends on the seller. I always wait for the deals.
$500 is a fair price

the car should start on old gas (not that you really want to run that through the injectors for very long) but if he won't even charge the battery to see if the car starts then the owner doesn't care about the car at all
Old 10-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

Thats a good basis for a project car. Are you buying it for the son to be a daily driver? If so and the need is urgent you don't have a lot of time to get things right. If you can't work on the thing 4-5 hours a day it takes a long time to go thru everything. Z's are pretty bulletproof and 160k isn't that much. my 83zx has 225 and stil going strong. I sure wouldn't pay more than 600-700 cause just what you said I'd guess you would put 1000 in it right away. Tires gonna run $500 unless you just put whatever on it. Its a lot easier to go to jiffy lube and change the tranny, rear end fluid might as well get the oil changed $100. Exhaust quite likely shot $150. Rust lurks in many places on z's check some posts on other sites classic z is good on this. Rear wheel rusted out and rust on driver side rear common cause the triangle windows often leak. They are fun and dependable once you get them right but you gotta love working on them. My son got my z31 offered him an 81zxt free but he didn't like the long nose retro look. If you can afford to junk it (just in case) after spending $500 then go for it. Paint probably isn't clear coat cancer unless a repaint. I believe that year didn't have clear coat but not entirely sure.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Über User

he said 100 for the oil change, rear diff flush, and tranny flush. my buddy works at jiffy lube if you do all those services they should give a deal on them. and that is about the right price.
you and me might do it our selves but for some people thats a bit much. and yeah i woulda taken the zxt over a z31 to though....
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Cmon . . .Lets be chill about this, no bashing. This sound like a good deal. These cars are pretty good about age and milage. I have 265k on the original engine and tranny and i saved it from a wrecking yard about to be squashed. The car can be an enjoyable daily driver or a weekend project car with TONS of potential. 500 is very reasonable, plus its a slicktop i presume. I say go for it and if you ever have a question this is the place to ask. We have the largest collective of 280zx owners here who have seen just about every problem these cars will present, which isnt much.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
No Club Love

yeah black must of had a bad day or something...but w/e and, apollo i hear you sold your 130's?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackzxT
$100 bills for a oil change lolololololololololololol jiffy lube my *** do it your self for $15 buck's....
use GTX 20 50w get it at walmart with filter 15 buck's for under ..
in fact make your bitchass kid do it ...
mabe then he will learn something and stop being a ***** little faggit .
as for the kid that didn't take the z31 or zxt
Dumb *** cry baby.he "COULD" have been one of the cool kids , his loss......
really make your kids work for it or its just going to be in a dumpster 6 months after YOU buy it for him!
buy him a geo and keep the z for your self .
Man, thats the **** that got you banned in the first place. Who the f@#K are you to rag on someone elses kid and call them a faggit. WTF??? You used to have a cool attitude on here. This site has a positive vibe, lets keep it that way.

And $15 will get my oil changed. I drop the Focus off and 20 minutes later I'm $15 lighter but my hands are still clean and I didnt have to hassle with getting under the car for something as petty as an oil change.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM

We have a service center in town, that will change the oil and the filter, using Castrol and will balance and rotate my tires for $29.95. I'll pay them and keep my hands clean anyday. Besides some places in town charge $30 just to rotate and balance the tires. Whenever i get new tires, i dont balance them at the store but drive them to this place and it amounts to getting a free oil change. One thing is for sure, your kid won't have a car that looks just like all the other kids cars in the lot!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
No Club Love

yo 3xazowner, can you pm me or get a hold of ups for me...Yeah i like what you all said but i like to get dirty and won't let anyone else touch the z, so yeah, anyother car can go to the mechanic though.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM

My Z never had anyone else change the oil either. It was never registered (a couple months total it was) so I never took the chance of taking it in for something like that. When it comes to having my cars fixed or having something put on...I dont let anyone else get near em. For one, I dont trust anyone else to do the job right. And second, the cost of letting someone you dont trust work on your car is ridiculous...and thats before they break something else and end up trying to charge you to fix that as well. No thanks...I'll do it myself After spending so much time fixing other peoples cars though doing something as petty as an oil change just doesnt seem worth the time. After I spend my week busting knuckles wrenching on customers cars so they can continue on with their commutes day in and day out I dont feel like changing my own oil. Hell...a lot of the time its hard to be motivated to want to do anything on my own car. I still dont pay to have work done...the work just takes forever to get done cause it takes forever to get around to it

Word to the wise: If you LOVE working on cars and fixing them up, then DO NOT persue a career in the automotive repair field It's bad for your own car and its bad for your back. I'm 25 years old and I have a tough time getting up off the couch or lieing down. I should've been a computer programmer with cars as a hobby
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM

LMAO...... J dont get your panties in a bunch just becuase i give my point of view..It being rather harsh yes ....but please dont take me to serious .lolololol
It just seems like you're coming off a wee bit to hard on some of your posts. Just try to remember that we all started somewhere When you're not bashing people you're great to have around...I remember the good ol' days
Old 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM
No Club Love

Really j, i was planing in getting in the auto field. Well the diesel mechanics first then later into a specific field probably ford, but still not sure. yeah i'm only 17 and changing the water pump last weekend hurt my back like an s.o.b. but i'll get use to it when i start getting the paycheck. I also want to get into fiberglass, and carbon fiber but most of those people are stingy in teaching others.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 PM
User Friendly

LMAO...... J dont get your panties in a bunch just becuase i give my point of view.. It being rather harsh yes ....but please dont take me to serious .......lolololol
Serious or not, it was definitely "harsh" and in absolute violation of forum rules. If it happens again, BlackzxT, expect an extended vacation or permaban.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

Obviously blackwhatever is functionally illiterate or does not know much about cars as he seems to think changing engine oil is equivalent to changing out the differential and transmission fluid. Probably both illiterate and not very knowledgeable.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
My Z never had anyone else change the oil either. It was never registered (a couple months total it was) so I never took the chance of taking it in for something like that. When it comes to having my cars fixed or having something put on...I dont let anyone else get near em. For one, I dont trust anyone else to do the job right. And second, the cost of letting someone you dont trust work on your car is ridiculous...and thats before they break something else and end up trying to charge you to fix that as well. No thanks...I'll do it myself After spending so much time fixing other peoples cars though doing something as petty as an oil change just doesnt seem worth the time. After I spend my week busting knuckles wrenching on customers cars so they can continue on with their commutes day in and day out I dont feel like changing my own oil. Hell...a lot of the time its hard to be motivated to want to do anything on my own car. I still dont pay to have work done...the work just takes forever to get done cause it takes forever to get around to it

Word to the wise: If you LOVE working on cars and fixing them up, then DO NOT persue a career in the automotive repair field It's bad for your own car and its bad for your back. I'm 25 years old and I have a tough time getting up off the couch or lieing down. I should've been a computer programmer with cars as a hobby
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! your only 25??? wtf!?!?! i always thought you were like some older dude like in there 30's somewhere.... good job telling me that now your ranked in as one of my peers instead of some old wise knowledgable guy.... lol
Old 10-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Big Poppa

that is what i am doing, all i do is work on cars every waking second of my life, no time for anything, the g/f is getting , cause i work on everybody elses cars to pay for the dang ring, and my car parts

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Old 10-31-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
Really j, i was planing in getting in the auto field. Well the diesel mechanics first then later into a specific field probably ford, but still not sure. yeah i'm only 17 and changing the water pump last weekend hurt my back like an s.o.b. but i'll get use to it when i start getting the paycheck. I also want to get into fiberglass, and carbon fiber but most of those people are stingy in teaching others.

dont take it too literal I couldn't see myself doing much else.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! your only 25??? wtf!?!?! i always thought you were like some older dude like in there 30's somewhere.... good job telling me that now your ranked in as one of my peers instead of some old wise knowledgable guy.... lol
wisdom and knowledge come with experience, not age But I dont consider myself either

I've hinted at my age quite a few times though.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 PM

Thanks for all the good pointers and advise. I will go back there this weekend and bring a new battery and some clean gas and try to start it and if it starts without any problem I will offer my friend $500.00.
BTW: I do my work and maintenance in my own cars and my son is learning with me, he will have to work for the car and on the car, I'm not raising free loaders. His job is to get good grades in school, finish his Eagle Scout, keep his nose clean and learn to work.

Thanks again...
AT
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
No Club Love

How old is your kid? and sorry for some people on this forum, they are cool as hell once you get to know them, but are ***'s when questions get asked that are in your opinion. Not saying your question, but most people get easily annoyed since they can't find a car. They just need to take a chill pill and go with the flow, or just not post. Sorry Bro

Quick Reply: New to forum with some questions.