ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   My Z is dead! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/my-z-dead-29339/)

WildmaN 09-10-2009 10:42 PM

My Z is dead!

Yep, as it states. My '82 T-top can now get his rest. I blew the head on the way to work today. And it has been a crappy day since then. I lost the heater hose near the firewall. And of course my temp gauge was not working. And so I had no warning. And I lost all my coolant. I ran it long enough. (which wasn't long at all) To either blow the head gasket, or crack and warp it. :(

I am a mess right now. I was close to crying today. Thanks to my fiance. I got a ride back. And she is going out of her way. To pick me up for work tomorrow. Anyway too much going on. My head is a mess right now. Feel free to leave feedback.

79monster 09-10-2009 11:01 PM

Wow i'm so srry bro

BlueKitsune 09-10-2009 11:11 PM

Do you think the block is salvageable? If it is I'm sure someone will be willing to help you get a new engine head for it. I even have a spare engine head (tho I have NO clue what condition its in)

WildmaN 09-10-2009 11:37 PM

I am sure the block is good. Thanks for the offer. But I have another Z, that I will start working on this Saturday. It is my '82 slicktop. It has a great engine in it, and a new performance clutch. Also it has only 96k on the Z itself. The big part of it sucking. Is...I just got my Z through the smog nazis this week. And I have new 2 year tags coming in the mail. I am hoping I can get a refund on those. Seems like such a waste. Anyway does anybody know, if I could send them back, and get refunded?

Oh..and thanks 79monster for the condolences. Appreciate it bro'.

BlueKitsune 09-10-2009 11:53 PM

Ah So I'm guessing you going to take the parts like the interior from the T-top and put them into the slick top huh?
Still sorry to hear your Z died tho

FubarI33t 09-11-2009 12:13 AM

Damn bro. i remember steam comin from under the hood many times. i was lucky though. let her cool off. forced it to drive back empty, did 13 miles like so with it 26F out side. L engines take one hell of a beating. I'd be more then willing to help in anyway possible. but i am in iraq. so helpin ya might have a time delay

WildmaN 09-11-2009 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune (Post 267403)
Ah So I'm guessing you going to take the parts like the interior from the T-top and put them into the slick top huh?
Still sorry to hear your Z died tho

Nah...my slick top has a black and gray interior. In the end it's going to have all black. The blue and silver interior is staying in my T-top. I will prepare him for the Turbo conversion restoration later on. In the meantime...get my slick top on the road. And hopefully all goes well with that. I am starting early Saturday morning on it. And hope to have it going by the evening.

Anyway my T-top isn't going anywhere. He is just getting an earlier rest than planned. I figured eventually...he would give out. Because I travel over 60 miles both ways everyday. Including going to my fiance's house also.

WildmaN 09-11-2009 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t (Post 267404)
Damn bro. i remember steam comin from under the hood many times. i was lucky though. let her cool off. forced it to drive back empty, did 13 miles like so with it 26F out side. L engines take one hell of a beating. I'd be more then willing to help in anyway possible. but i am in iraq. so helpin ya might have a time delay

Yeah..doesn't help to overheat it in 100 plus degree heat. And yes...the L engines can take a beating. But unfortunately...the cylinder heads cannot. It has happened to me twice. And with the same exact engine in different Z's. Anyway thanks bro' appreciate it. And thank you for serving. :038::023:

FubarI33t 09-11-2009 12:52 AM

it's nothin to serve. just another day on the job. and ARP head studs can really help the integrity of these heads. so much so i plan on one going onto a LD28, but shhhhhh. nuff said

Bleach 09-11-2009 09:24 AM

aaarh! so sad...

The value of a temp gauge should be apparent.

FubarI33t 09-11-2009 09:36 AM

if only i can get mine to work. once i did that engine swap. it never worked again. same sensor. wire harness. even replaced the sensor. still nothin

njgheewala 09-11-2009 09:40 AM

Damn man! I am so sorry...I really am sorry :022:. Let us know if we can help in any ways...u know like keeping an eye out for any parts or anything like that in our area. This is truly sad:089:! I can imagine how you feel. I consider my Z as my second most favorite thing in the world (First is my wife, who helped me get the Z).

icice9 09-11-2009 11:01 AM

why dont you just swap the engine out of your slick to your blue one for now since its already regestered and passed smog...

PurePontiacKid 09-11-2009 02:05 PM

Or pull the head and find out just what blew... It's not really all THAT hard to pull a head... (heck, I pulled a head off a 280Z in the junkyard, with the intake manifold, and Clifford Header all in one piece! lol)

Switchtr3 09-11-2009 06:32 PM

That's really sad to hear, I understand how upset you must be, I never got over my loss yet. You'll figure something out, and when you do it will be better than ever.

flatblack 09-11-2009 06:50 PM

Hey man it's unfortunate that this happened but dead? That's a bit harsh.

When I pulled my motor for the turbo swap I got it out in just under an hour, and L28s go for $100 if you can find one close.

It's not a big deal, man, just throw a new long block in there and you're good to go!

WildmaN 09-11-2009 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by icice9 (Post 267423)
why dont you just swap the engine out of your slick to your blue one for now since its already regestered and passed smog...

I did think about that. But the problem with that is. I would be swapping the engine in dirt and gravel. And on a incline. Plus it would take me longer. It is a lot more work involved. I think it will be easier to just get my slick top running. Even though I have to eat the tags, and smog test. Anyway will start working on it in the morning. Wish me luck everybody. And I will pray on it also.

WildmaN 09-11-2009 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by flatblack (Post 267460)
Hey man it's unfortunate that this happened but dead? That's a bit harsh.

When I pulled my motor for the turbo swap I got it out in just under an hour, and L28s go for $100 if you can find one close.

It's not a big deal, man, just throw a new long block in there and you're good to go!

Well...not literally dead. Just metaphorically dead, as in the engine is not in driving condition anymore.

Anyway no need to buy an engine. When I have a great one in my other Z. Besides all that. I don't even have that kind of money right now. And those engines are not as cheap around here. Just going to get the other one running. And get it on the road. Hopefully by tomorrow evening. I will bust my arse on it.

WildmaN 09-11-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid (Post 267439)
Or pull the head and find out just what blew... It's not really all THAT hard to pull a head... (heck, I pulled a head off a 280Z in the junkyard, with the intake manifold, and Clifford Header all in one piece! lol)

I am pretty sure, it is the head gasket. But the problem being with that is. One, I don't have the tools to do that kind of job. And Two, I don't have the money, to even buy the head gasket. Plus, I would need to take the head to a machine shop. To see if it is straight or not. Because if it is warped. And I try to fix it, and I put it all back together. All that work would be in vain. So...I will just work on the Z, with the much better engine. ;)

BlueKitsune 09-11-2009 11:15 PM

Good luck on getting your other Z running!

WildmaN 09-11-2009 11:23 PM

^ Thanks man, appreciate it. I will do the best I can. And if successful, I will have new pics to post. :D Stay tuned, and thanks for all the comments everybody. Keep them coming. :023:

BlueKitsune 09-11-2009 11:34 PM

Well a Z isn't to complicated (sept for the wiring) so I'm pretty sure you'll get it running, still good luck just in case lol. Cant wait to see some pics!

kittyz 09-12-2009 06:32 AM

yah good luck i like slickys better. they are rare, sorta. i've never seen in real life another slicky. just mine. i got a z31 w/ t-tops but my 280 doesnt need em. its more of my muscle car and the z31 is like a tuner. i got the bank account set up for savin for my v8 that'll be going in it. im gonna rebuild the l28 and drop it in another 280 that needs it, just to let all the purists know that one z may be "unpure" but it'll help save another. lol. good luck bro. yah my woman doesnt understand all the time, money and pain i put into my z's.

79monster 09-12-2009 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=Oh..and thanks 79monster for the condolences. Appreciate it bro'.[/QUOTE]

no problem bro i really do feel for you its happened to me on 2 of my cars it really does suck i just had to do the head on my Z let me tell you not fun
and if you took your other Z to the nazi couldn't you just switch the tags over or you can't do that over there you kno what i mean and still keep the stickers

kittyz 09-12-2009 08:15 AM

^just do it any ways. no one is gonna look that close to which 280 it is. haha we dont have smog nazis in my county.