280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Might have a cracked block

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Might have a cracked block

I got the head off tonight. Need help I was cleaning the deck with carb cleaner to degrease it a bit. Noticed Antifreeze bubbled. Hit all holes in the block antifreeze bubbles.

How ever Question is whats water passage and whats oil?

Directly above the oil filter there is what looks like a wee tiny hole? Also in front of the block looks like a matching wee tiny hole? I looked at my book nothing says whats what. I hit the oil plug hole with compressed air to no avail. The holes I think are oil ports are roughly 1/4 in water passage looks roughly 7/16. Begging god at this point I didn't crack the block.

If I did crack the block shouldn't I have oil in the rad. Also I do have brand new green prestone in the block. I shouldn't have this at all? and plus I should have two gallons of water in the oil pan? Hate to Panic
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM

OK after much sobering up and careful inspection. Does the head circulate coolant from inside the block using the 1/4 holes between think #3? lol I thought these were oil ports for the center cam tower. Noob question But I have water in the oil and concerned maybe I did crack the block.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Got prices today for head gasket set. Felpro set was 30.00 cheaper than the Beck/ arny set at advanced auto. Kid tried saying the Beckly is some ricer gasket that can be re-used. Anyone hear of this? And I gotta do my home work ol red my 81 junked out 2 years ago and I didn't think to write down the build date. Lil pissed today all I know is its a 54 block with a p79.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Ok; first, don't worry about that block, they dont crack in holes. A crack would be between cylinders or something other than a clean hole. The head bolts or studs often end in the cooling passages. I'm not sure if any head bolts require sealing but the manual should say.
Reusing head gasket? Don't. Build your engine to last 200,000 miles and that extra $30 is used long ago. Felpro is a good gasket, torque properly and that Z motor will hold fine.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 AM

Wasnt going to re-use the gasket. Felpro kit is roughly 63.00 the Beck/Arney??? from advanced auto parts is 89.00 Kid could not tell me what exactly is different. Did say the beck brand set is WAY better than Felpro. ok why?

I find it hard to compare "Stock" "Better" "exceptional" according to a 19 year old with a computer what Makes "exceptional" Better than "Better" Writing my congressman.

And I did make some calls. They are water ports serving the head. I had no way to tell since I had pudding for motor oil. To me it felt like the oil should of went to the center cam tower to deliver the oil to the cam. Noob error how ever I grew some ***** and tore the engine down for the first time. thanks for the heads up
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM

The "better" head gasket is the one that fits your engine. Stock engine = stock gasket. A "better" gasket might be needed if you were running higher with compression. You're right, 19 year olds with computers aren't to be trusted. I used to be one.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Felpro is fine. ITM makes a nice gasket set as well - I get mine from NorthernAutoParts.com - ask for Regal. Great price and there are guys who use the ITM in their race cars - good enough for me
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Once again thanks Fric I ordered the felpro kit 65.86. Bought new Nissan head bolts e-bay 119.86 rip off I know. and new manifold studs. I will place pics of the progress.

Need approval on my cleaning job lil nervous. Major hint to everyone doing a head gasket EZ OFF OVEN SPRAY! Removed all traces of carbon in the head and pistons .

Now the shitty question has anyone just thrown the head back on and bolted her down? Not in the financial mood for anymore machine shops to tell me to do a full rebuild. If its warped can I get a few months of the new gasket? I will be grabbing my 4 ft level and my trusty notebook paper. Note note book paper is around .003 of an inch thick. Rather use my granite block at work but my boss is a *****!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You could have got ARP head studs for that price - eeek!

Thanks for the pointer on the EZ OFF. IIRC correctly it's sodium hydroxide based (lye) which will actually EAT aluminium (draino is a combination of sodium hydroxide and aluminum - when you add water the NAOH eats the aluminum and bubbles breaking up the clog in the drain). Be careful not to let it sit there too long! Regardless it might be the ticket to remove the oxide of my aluminum intercooler.... I'll have to talk to the chem cleaner guys at work....
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

If it's really warped and the boss won't let you use the granite block what about a big belt sander.... I've got manifold pretty flat with one by rotating the piece and checking it.... depends on the bed of the belt sander of course....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 AM

Belt sander and your worried about eating aluminum? I didn't leave it sit washed it down with a bottle of Windex. then wd-40 worked very well. Saved 100.00 cleaning it myself then I over paid for them dam bolts

We checked warp with a drywall square which I admit being a machinist myself is not the most accurate system. So were going to use a 4ft level next. But if I had to bet its warped around .005-.006 But 14 bolts torqued down plus gasket crush am I wrong to believe it will seal?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I recomend 40 grit ;P