ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   I am soooo Stupid! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/i-am-soooo-stupid-17761/)

thxone 04-08-2006 12:42 AM

I am soooo Stupid!

I took off my stock air filter box to paint the lid and lower body black. I took some paper towels and made a wad of it to stuff in the small opening and then taped it in place so I would not get paint on the inside of the air box. I made sure I cleaned all the parts and washed them before painting. I painted them because of some surface rust that was showing on the lid. When they were finish drying they looked real good so I put everything back on the car and I patted myself on the back. About 2 hours later I decided to goto the store, well all was going well until the car started making this chirping noise then bogged down at the stop sign and shut off! I got it going enough to get to the store and back but my gas pedal was real stiff and the car would only go 10-15 miles per hour.

Once back at the house I rememberd the wad of paper towels I stuffed into the air box outlet hole so I looked in the trash for it to see if it was all still in one piece....then I started thinking..." I don't remember actually removing it before I put it all back together. " Sure enough after 30 minutes of removing car parts I found that the wad went through the air box, through the AFM and came to rest like the cork in a wine bottle right in the throttle body! I went from patting myself on the back to punching myself in the sack! I got it out with some needle nose pliers and it is all good now. I really AM stupid.

entropy31 04-08-2006 12:49 AM

D'oh!!!!!!

SHADY280 04-08-2006 12:50 AM

no, not stupid, just human dude. i forgot the dowel pins for my engine the first time i did it (machine shop took them out to plain the block and never gave them back), it even lasted 8000km before it blew the head gasket!!

duowing 04-08-2006 08:24 AM

Man that sounds like when I was doing the fuel rail and I ended up dropping a socket into the car. It got really cold and I didn't work on it for a few days. After I was done I had forgotten to make sure to look for that socket. So I had everything back in, started the car and I heard a horrible noise. Shut it off, found the socket underneath. It had bent the alternator fan blade, cause the belt to jump and get caught around the blades. So I had to replace the belt and bend all the fan blades back into place. Luckily it didn't do more damage.

FubarI33t 04-08-2006 09:01 AM

i think the most Humman thing i have done so far on the z, might be the silicone onthe injector leak, now it's just a whole lot worse. and i got a puddle of gas on my intake manafold under then injector.

jfairladyz 04-08-2006 10:23 AM

Yeah I was doing an intake manifold gasket and stuffed some paper towels into the ports on the head so gasket crap I scraped off wouldn't get in. Well I got everything bolted back up before I spotted a waded paper towel on the floor I had dropped. Thats when it dawned on me that I forgot to remove them. I had to take off the fuel rail and the intake manifold and do it all over again. Thats what happens when I get in a rush :rolleyes:

Skully 04-08-2006 10:42 AM

im sorry but i gotta laugh...not that your stupid but just at the situation lol
i leave shit like that too...how about you put on a valve cover and wonder where you left the screwdriver?? hahahah