280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Hazard and Turn signal switch wiring

Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Hazard and Turn signal switch wiring

I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the 82 280ZX non-turbo and it doesn't show anything about where the wiring goes for the hazard and turn signal switches. When I bought the car the switches didn't work at all. I found that the hazard switch has power and it is switching it over, but I don't know where the wire goes from there? On most of the Honda's I worked on, it goes to the hazard switch first, and then it goes to the turn signal switch and then to the lights and dash display. Are they separate on these cars? Also, the passenger side fuse box, does anybody have a diagram for it? I've been searching all morning and can only find the engine bay fuse box diagram. Any help is very appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM

I think I figured it out. I noticed that the hazard switch was switching power over to the green/yellow wire, and that was going to the flasher. The turn signals work and you can hear the flasher working. But when I try to put the hazard switch on, power goes to the flasher, and it said that the flasher should send power back to the switch, that should switch power over to the lights and everything. I took the switch apart and noticed that it can only switch power from the main constant power to the green/yellow, but there is no contact point for the other wires that go to the lights and flasher. If anybody has a hazard switch that is taken apart, could you post a picture of it, because I think something is missing.

Also, the rear wiper isn't on any of the wiring diagrams, it shows the rear washer, but not the wiper. There is a yellow and some green wires, just wonder which should get power. I put power to the yellow wire and it turned on, but what are the other green wires for? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Funny, I just got my rear wiper working yesterday. I knew from the beginning, that somebody swapped the hatches on my Z. (before I owned it) Because my rear wiper nor my defroster ever worked. I finally decided to investigate it yesterday. Sure enough I removed the black rubber boots. And the wires were all cut, and tucked inside the hatch. So I pulled them all out, re spliced and connected them. And now my wiper works. As for the wiring, I am not sure. Maybe the other wires are for the rear washer or defroster? I am sure they are in the wiring diagram somewhere. Are you looking at the FSM?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Funny, I just got my rear wiper working yesterday. I knew from the beginning, that somebody swapped the hatches on my Z. (before I owned it) Because my rear wiper nor my defroster ever worked. I finally decided to investigate it yesterday. Sure enough I removed the black rubber boots. And the wires were all cut, and tucked inside the hatch. So I pulled them all out, re spliced and connected them. And now my wiper works. As for the wiring, I am not sure. Maybe the other wires are for the rear washer or defroster? I am sure they are in the wiring diagram somewhere. Are you looking at the FSM?
Yeah, I looked at the FSM and some other random wiring diagrams, but none show the rear wiper, don't know why. All the wires are good, and the rear defrost works, and rear washer works. I tested the switch, and it doesn't seem to work when I pull it out for the rear wiper. I tried pulling the switch out, but unscrewing the plug on the end, but I can't pull it out, because the black cover and metal part goes over it, there isn't any screws to take off so I can pull the switch out. Anybody know how to take the switch out, I didn't want to break anything. Thanks for the help guys, this car is going to be very nice when it's done.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Try barely pulling out the rear wiper switch. On one of my other Z's. If I pulled it out all the way, the wiper wouldn't work. But if I pulled it out partway, it would work.

As for getting the switch out. Push the **** in while turning left (counter clockwise) and the **** should come out. Then, unscrew the black plastic washer, and finally if you want. You can pull the plug out of the switch. Or pull the unit out with it plugged in. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Try barely pulling out the rear wiper switch. On one of my other Z's. If I pulled it out all the way, the wiper wouldn't work. But if I pulled it out partway, it would work.

As for getting the switch out. Push the **** in while turning left (counter clockwise) and the **** should come out. Then, unscrew the black plastic washer, and finally if you want. You can pull the plug out of the switch. Or pull the unit out with it plugged in. Good luck.
I tried pulling out slowly, hard, but not luck. I'm just going to take it out and maybe see if the contacts are bad. Thanks for all the help, I probably would of been cutting it out now if it wasn't for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Took it apart and cleaned the contacts, now it works perfectly.