ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   drifting a 280zx (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/drifting-280zx-9622/)

Pistolio 06-30-2004 10:42 PM

drifting a 280zx

hey ppl

just curious about drifting a 280zx, where they used in ther time?
i have found that they tend to oversteer quite a bit. so its pretty easy to lose it and do a full 360 spin :eek:
iv had a few close calls with it especially in the wet

does ne1 use them 4 drifting on any regular basis on tack or street?

just wondering

CrAzY_84na 07-01-2004 01:08 AM

i like to practice in my Z31, but i need new suspension because the stock shit does not cut it. Becareful drifting tho. You gotta remember our cars are old and fragile. Make sure you have replaced or are ready to replace most parts on your Z lol

Bleach 07-01-2004 08:28 AM

The 280zx definatly needs a new suspension. The Z31 isn't much better. They are fairly soft for smooth highway driving but very mushy on the autocross course. Also, by now most of the components are worn out.

Get tighter springs and new struts on all four corners with upgraded sway bars (at least on the front) and a urethane kit. Strut tower braces front and rear and then you'll be ready to see how your Z handles.

lifegrddude 07-01-2004 12:20 PM

I didn't see too many Z's out at the drift spots back when I was in Japan and started getting into cars. ('96-99) From what I remember, there was a guy that used to drift his blue 280Z and he told me it was a lot harder to drift and maintain control than the Silvias and Levins that were running around.
Anyways, with some suspension work that's been mentioned above and an LSD, you'll be able to drift, just start out slow and work your way up in speed. If you have a set of pylons, they're your best friend when you're just starting out. And be ready to start servicing your tie rods, ball joints, differential and tranny quite often.
John 82ZXT

Pistolio 07-03-2004 09:08 PM

cheers guys

im not totally into drifting was just curious cause iv tried it a bit, with stock car. only problem is that around where i live there are no carparks that dont have concrete dividers between bays. so its reasonably hard to find a decent place to do it but ill keep looking.:)

the thing that shites me is the hype around drifting now, think about it every kid in a silvia thinks hes the best thing since sliced bread. just gives me the shits hey. just cause he can lose a little bit of traction EXITING a corner! OMG! he must b drifting! Real drift is getting sideways B4 the corner then steering out of it. Japanese drifting is like an art not a sport maybe thats the difference between them and the rest of the world.
sorry ppl just had a bit of a cry :rolleyes:

all the modifications mentioned above (suspension) could they b used for racing aswell? like is that a strictly drift setup???

cheers P

FastZ 07-05-2004 08:51 PM

What i would call a drift would be getting sideways entering the corner, keeping it sideways in the corner, come out of the corner sideways and bring it back. not go through the corner and hear your tires break loose. The car must go SIDEWAYS. Just my $.02.

lifegrddude 07-06-2004 01:33 PM

Haha, don't worry, I've got the same definition too. :D Except I was just suggesting the pylon thingy as a way to learn vehicle control until you can work up the speed to enter sideways and leave sideways.
John 82ZXT

FastZ 07-07-2004 07:47 PM

Yea, I understand. You have to start somewhere.