280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Door lock fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:22 PM

Cool Door lock fixed!!

Since I got my car some time back the drivers side door lock switch has been broken...yes yes I know it is a sad thing but I fixed it and fixed it good tonight. I bought some white lithium grease so I could grease my power window guides and pivots...worked perfectly by the way and since I had the panel off went for the plastic door lock lever. It was broken right near the metal rod and a small chunk of plastic was missing. Solution: I took some super glue and a cotton swab, yes a cotton swab. I glued both plastic pieces and stuck them together and in the gap that remained, I tore off some cotton and stuck it in the gap where the excess glue was and then coated the cotton with glue. It worked like it was meant to be made that way. Almost like fiberglass matt and resin. I wouldn't do this on big pieces but it seems to work very well for the light door lock switch.

Last edited by thxone; 08-21-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 PM

thanks for that tip ^ . My drives side door lock is not working for that exact same reason. The plastic end of the rod had broke. I was going to try to source another once I got my car back, but that sounds like something I might just try in the mean time
Old 08-22-2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
thanks for that tip ^ . My drives side door lock is not working for that exact same reason. The plastic end of the rod had broke. I was going to try to source another once I got my car back, but that sounds like something I might just try in the mean time

Let it dry for a long time...1- 1-1/2 hours and put more glue on it after that. I also braced it from the backside to keep tention on it. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Mine broke a while ago. I just haven't got around to investigating it yet. Glad to hear you fixed yours though. I can still lock my driver's door with my key. It is just that my power locks wont work, until I get around to fixing it. Maybe sometime soon, after I feel like taking my door panels off again. I need to hit them with another 2 coats of interior paint.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM

Ok...scratch that idea, I guess I wont be using your advice to fix my lock after all.

Just got informed by wifes sister, who was told by her mother that my wifes grandparents took it upon themselves to sell my Z behind my back without permission. They sold it for $300 and some change and then decided that since my car was taking up so much space on their 6 acres that they were entitled to all that money.

Can you say PISSED OFF So my hunt for another Z begins yet again
Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Ok...scratch that idea, I guess I wont be using your advice to fix my lock after all.

Just got informed by wifes sister, who was told by her mother that my wifes grandparents took it upon themselves to sell my Z behind my back without permission. They sold it for $300 and some change and then decided that since my car was taking up so much space on their 6 acres that they were entitled to all that money.

Can you say PISSED OFF So my hunt for another Z begins yet again

SON OF A B#*!H!!!! WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE???? THE FU#@ING NERVE!!! GET YOURSELF A BOTTLE, FILL IT WITH GAS, PUT A WICK IN IT AND DO YOU BUSINESS!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Taste My Rainbow

did you have the title? and was there a written agreement with them to hold it for you? If not then you can at least sue them for the 300+ maybe more if you have reciepts of what you put into it. What they did was illegal, they would only hav ethat right if they had given you at least a 30 day notice to get it off the land. It might cause a rift in the family but that sounds like its already there if they sold it with out your ok for that little. If you have any questions PM me.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:23 PM

^ If I wasn't 1600 miles away

I've still got the damn title and they had no right to sell it. Sure they had the right to have it towed off their property if they didnt want it there (they willing offered to let me store it there when we moved. No written agreement though. Who thinks of these things when dealing with family), but that wasn't the case. So someone just illegally purchased a car. My wife is going to get in touch with them tomorrow to get the details of what happened. I dont talk to them, and my wife said I cant call them anyways
Old 08-22-2006, 06:56 PM

Let the the people who bought it try to get it registered and track it down. If you make it known that the car was sold without your permission and that you still have the title then it is just a matter of going through the motions to get it back and those people who sold it should have to re pay the people who bought the car. Dude, don't be a give up person...it's a Z, GET IT BACK!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey J, you could be really evil. And report it stolen, because technically they sold something that wasn't their's. That is outright BS, and uncalled for. I could see, if they warned you, and gave you a time to get it off their property. The only thing they could do legally, would be to have it towed off. But selling it, isn't that GTA? I am sorry but I would be blatant, and beligerant on this account. And do what thxone says, it's a Z get it back. We are behind you brother. Keep up updated.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM

That was the first thing that popped into my head "report it stolen". My wife grabbed the phone so quick. The problem I'm having is my wife. She doesn't want me to start a big tiffy with her granparents "cause they're old". I told her they started this **** when they decided to sell the car. When I woke up this morning she was out shopping with her sister so I'll have to wait til she gets home for her to call them. I dont have their number and the only place she has it is in her cell phone so I cant call them myself (not unless I get ahold of her cell phone ).

But thats the part that pisses me off most WildmaN, is that they did it without ever so much as hinting at it I'm still going to do what I can with getting that one back. The only problem there now is that if I do suceed in that endeavor, its not likely their going to keep it on their property anymore. Well I'm in SD and the car is in VA. Not a good combo. I just bought a 260Z so I dont have the money to have it transported right away and if the police have to track it down it's going to end up in a tow yard til I can come get it. By the time I can do that the storage fee's alone are going to be rediculous.

At the very least I intend to get the car out of the possesion of the new owner as a reprise for them selling the car. I guarantee it was one of their friends that bought it. So basically if her granparents wont get the car back from whoever they sold it to, then I'm going to call the police and have them stir things up and track the car down. I wont press charges, the car will go to auction and it'll end up, hopefully, in a home where it wont be parted out first chance.

Either way, unless they're willing to store it for me again, the car is out of my hands. I just cant afford to keep it any other way.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:54 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

How old are they? They would have to be completely senile and doddering to think they could sell a car they don't have the title or ownership for.

I would actually drive back there and sell their car for $1 and see how they like it!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by lww
How old are they? They would have to be completely senile and doddering to think they could sell a car they don't have the title or ownership for.

I would actually drive back there and sell their car for $1 and see how they like it!
I told my wife I'm going to list their cars for sale all over the internet with their phone number and address I do believe they're in their 70's. They're completely coherent though. This is why I believe it was a friend of theirs and that he's just going to part it out or something.

So tomorrow bright and early I'm going to report it stolen with the police out there. And once I get their phone number from my wife (and I WILL get it) I'm going to put up a bunch of classified ads. On a brighter note my 260Z should be here in a couple weeks I was looking forward to getting my turbo back though
Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Before you get the cops involved or post their car for sale on the internet, find out who they sold the car too, tell them it was not for sale and that you have the title and you'd like your car returned.

If they give you any grief, then you can start to get more insistent about it.

You'd be amazed at how cooperative people will become when you tell them "I didn't want to have to get the Police involved, but you're leaving me no other choice."

You have the title, you are the legal owner, they have now taken felony posession of stolen property. I don't know very many people that want that charge on their record even if they aren't convicted.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 PM

Maybe if my wife reads that post she'll actually finally call them. I'm still fuming over this. I talked to her about it a little more tonight and shes starting to see it my way. She said she thought it was them just trying to be helpful since I was trying to sell my car. I told if it they were just trying to be helpful then wouldn't they have said something BEFORE they sold the car. And even if they didnt say anything then, WTF haven't they got ahold of me yet to let me know that the car I was about to have transported back across the country has been sold? I was literally just a couple of days away from booking a transport to have it brought out here.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Yeah, the keeping the money they got for the sale takes some credibility out of their 'helpful' argument.

I would think you'd have a check in your hand for the sale price and the new 'owner' would at least want the title to their vehicle even if they are just going to part it out.

They can't dispose of it legally without the title even when they're done stripping it.