ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   A/C question.. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/c-question-22880/)

n00blar 05-21-2007 10:37 AM

A/C question..

In the process of taking my engine apart, I removed the A/C and its ducts. As I was removing the A/C, I lost the freon and the oil from the A/C compressor.

So, my question is...can I use the new oil/freon that is being sold at the stores?

NismoPick 05-21-2007 10:43 AM

You should be about to convert to R134A. There's lots of web sites that talk about the process of converting from R12 to R134A... tho there are mixed reviews about it. Some people say you have to change the o-rings in the system, some say you just do the conversion & you're done.

There's also some kind of pseudo R12 that IS still legal... the interwebnet is full of info on it.

lww 05-21-2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by n00blar
In the process of taking my engine apart, I removed the A/C and its ducts. As I was removing the A/C, I lost the freon and the oil from the A/C compressor.

So, my question is...can I use the new oil/freon that is being sold at the stores?

First, check to see if your AC has already been converted to R134A or not. If not, the short answer is no, you can't just use the stuff at the auto parts store.

For quick, easy and cheap, recharge it with some synthetic R12. There are dozens of places online that sell it. Just google "synthetic R12".

hoov100 05-21-2007 01:14 PM

theres a kragen near me that still has a few crates of r12 for sale..

n00blar 05-21-2007 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by lww
First, check to see if your AC has already been converted to R134A or not. If not, the short answer is no, you can't just use the stuff at the auto parts store.

For quick, easy and cheap, recharge it with some synthetic R12. There are dozens of places online that sell it. Just google "synthetic R12".

Yeah, it hasn't been converted because I was the one who removed it and I was the one who put it all back together. :unibrow:

Ok, then I'll probably take the easy way, for now, and just order some R12 and get my A/C running again.

BigEkak1941 06-15-2007 06:23 AM

If the system is R-12 you can use a gernetic replacement called Freeze 12 (it's the same as R-12 but not harmful to the air). You would have to flush the system (but not the A/C compressor just drain it), get the oil Freeze oil & put it in the compressor, also replace the dryer, and special O rings all can be purchased locally. If you go the R-134 route then you will have to do all the above except you must also replace the compressor (the seals are the problem as R-134 will go out). I have had people tell me they just flushed the system & put the R-134 in, but the system will eventually go out. AutoZone has a A/C DVD disk which explains working on the A/C system & it goes for about $10 (a good envestment). So you have multiple choices on replacing/fixing you're syste. Good luck