280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Alignment- any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Alignment- any suggestions

Looking for a place in Phoenix for an alignment- any suggestions?
Other than a Nissan dealership....
Also planning on changing thermostat, rad cap and upper/lower hoses. Are they any other cooling components that s/b changed? I did flush the system when I first picked it up.

1983 280zx na 2+2
Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 PM
The Good Twin

Most any shop that has a laser rack will be sufficient. I took one of my cars to an alignment shop last month, and only went to them because I had a 50% off coupon from the mail. Ended up costing me ~$31 with a lifetime alignment warranty. I had actually DIY'd my alignment in the garage with string, but it still pulled to the right so I took it in. Turns out I had the alignment perfect but the caster was off.

Anyway, as for the thermostat job, might as well inspect the belts and pulleys while you're in there.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Coupons a good idea. Any place that focuses on tire sales will have an up-to-date rack setup for alignment. Firestone, maybe, or Sears Auto, etc. They give you a print out at the end that tells you what your rating is in the three big parameters, caster, camber, toe - for all four wheels. I think there's even a fourth parameter now for newer cars. Those shops can be trusted especially if the shop doesn't do the repairs they are recommending.

If you replace worn out parts, you should go back there to retest/reset the alignment. This a big deal not just for tire wear but for balance and steering and handling, especially at higher speeds and in wet conditions.

Any competent mechanic/shop with a lift can check your cooling system and replace parts as required. Your new rad cap will set your system's max pressure. Check your FSM

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Thx guys. Want to get my ducks in a row before I get new tires w/alignment. As for thermostat, picked up the parts today. Hoping to get it done tomorrow.
On another note, any thoughts as to putting some life back into the old paint. Got alot of other stuff to do before new paint....
Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM

No photos! Best you can do is good soap & warm water wash with a lambskin mitt, rinse, dry. Apply paste type compound (comes in a can, called COMPOUND, has grit) to painted surfaces, rub in gentle circular motions to remove dug-in grit and grime and discolorations, let dry, remove haze (use those synthetic woven cloths at the auto store to remove compound, not terry towels). Wax: Use a true no-grit wax like Nu-Finish applied with a soft, damp applicator (sponge, terrycloth, that hockey puck thing in the can, DAMP) in circular motion, let haze dry, wipe off (use same synthetic cloths to remove wax). Then re-wax the whole thing, same method. (If all this doesn't take you 6-8 hours, you did it wrong...) Done! Come back here and post photos...

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-16-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Big Poppa

these cars offer very little adjustment as far as an alignment goes. most shops won't even touch the caster on these. just toe adjustments, unless you have the t3 tension bar kit.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Paint

With the Rat rod movement, an older stock paint job, faded and worn looking is all the rage. You are just a bit of a Ratsun while you wait for new paint, which is all good ! Just give her a good wash, rub her down like Zguys suggests and have fun driving her.... and be a pest, wave at all the new Z guys in they're sweet 350 & 370z's
Old 05-17-2014, 01:25 PM

I typically post from phone or iPad- hence no photos. May be at a computer this weekend.
Love the 'Ratsun' moniker... sounds a little rebel. As for 'waving', I knew this car would garner some attention, but it's been down right crazy! The day I brought it home the looky-loos where all over. But what I love most, is sitting at a light with the tops out and getting the "old car" look...
Then smokin' 'em!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Talking Before pics...

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
No photos!
Here's after a basic wash...

Name:  2014-05-10_17-13-49_493_zps18a46d01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  65.0 KB

And a few days later...

Name:  2014-05-18_14-38-57_41_zpse3ffb4ec.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  71.4 KB
Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 PM

That is a beautiful Z. No amount of work on her is too much.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM

Thx. Was a good price, minimal rust, got my hard nosed mechanics nod of approval. And it's something I can work on!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Congrats man!. And what part of Phoenix do you live? I live in East Mesa, all in all the Z looks pretty clean. If you need help, tips or whatever hit me up. As I know these cars pretty well. I own 4 of them, and drive one mainly on the weekends. (but I am not claiming to be an expert just to clarify)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bravenewme

I typically post from phone or iPad- hence no photos. May be at a computer this weekend.
Love the 'Ratsun' moniker... sounds a little rebel. As for 'waving', I knew this car would garner some attention, but it's been down right crazy! The day I brought it home the looky-loos where all over. But what I love most, is sitting at a light with the tops out and getting the "old car" look...
Then smokin' 'em!
So funny, and so true, My car looks like a pos, and yet I catch people who just can't take they're eyes off of her. Go figure, even in ruff condition, these cars have a sexiness value.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Smile Phoenix rocks

There are some of the best Z guys in the Phoenix / Mesa area, Jamal(borini63) and Wildman are outstanding guys, knowledgeable and helpful. You live in Z parts central. One of the best places to find a decent low rust Z.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Thanks...guys for the kind words....Nice 2+2 by the way....
Your best choice for alignment is:
Jack's Auto Alignment
2902 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix AZ 85016
602-956-7610
You need to call for appointment.

Jamal
Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys! Wildman, I'm in central Phoenix. As a matter of fact, I am looking for a dash, any suggestions as to PHX places to find one? My heater core sprung a leak, and if I end up having to pull this dash, I want to put in one that isn't split beyond recognition.

PredatorZ, I got asked what I wanted for it at a red light just yesterday morning. When I said it wasn't for sale, he kept *******' me light after light, till I hit the gas and lost him.... I never thought it would garner as much attention as it does.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:15 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks PredatorZ...I appreciate that. But I have got quite a bit of my knowledge from here and doing hands on things myself. As well as looking over my manuals and such.

Bravenewme....Central Phoenix, is that by Central Street? What is your major cross streets. For example....32nd & Thomas etc....

As for dashboards, try checking craigslist, ebay and such. Jamal does get a lot of parts, maybe he can scope one out for you. I know months ago, Shady280 had a pristene black dashboard, I don't remember how much. Hit him up and see.

Otherwise you will have to have it redone. I have wanted to try and redo one myself, but haven't got around to it. I just put on a dash mat, and be done with it. lol It is super tough to find a nice uncracked dash around here, or anywhere for that matter. And if you do, be prepared to pay quite a bit for it. Maybe ask Zcarsource.com, and see what they will charge to redo one. It might be cheaper than locating one. Good luck man.

And don't be surprised if people want your Z. They are fewer and fewer of them on the road as the years go by. My Z in my signature, gets attention here and there. I had a guy at my new job ask me about it. He is a Z fan, even though he owns 240sx's. And by the way, your Z is pretty nice for the year. Keep it clean man.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Central and Glendale Wildman. It is covered with a mat, but it's really bad... needs a new interior period.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Bravenewme
Central and Glendale Wildman. It is covered with a mat, but it's really bad... needs a new interior period.
I hear you man, mine still needs work also. I have pretty much have all the parts I need for a black interior, minus the dashboard. I have all the trim pieces and such. And in the future I plan on redoing my interior as well as my other Z's I have.

And wow that is quite a ways from me. Probably 50 or so miles. I live by Ellsworth and University. Which is way out East. lol

I have redone one interior so far and turned out pretty nice. Unfortunately after I blew the cylinder head on my T-top and with the T-tops leaking. It got destroyed, and I will have to redo it all over again. That is the one I plan on doing a turbo conversion with a 3.1 stroker later on in the future. I hope this winter to continue on my '83 T-top and get the engine rebuilt and such.

Last edited by WildmaN; 07-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.