280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

454 in 280zx?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:06 PM

bearly make 195 HP idk where your from? all the 350's around here are pushing ATLEAST 250. check this out tho. go to google. type in 10066036
and press enter. look at the HP and torque specs. theres the end of a argument that hasnt even started yet. says 350torque on quadrajet 4 barrel carb, elderbrock performer intake, and 1 and 5/8 headers i beleive it was? which i have all the above besides the headers but i have hugger headers in the mail.

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i will bet you 1k that it wont be faster than my stock Z... now we are all agreeing that all im stating is stock, and Z. right. no other stipulations here

ALSO! you said a 454 not a 350 and the Z engine is not very heavy idk why everyone claims they are so heavy they really arent. and most stock V8s from the 80's that ive seen barely make 195hp lol. its kinda ridiculous. also HP is a measurement its a torque to engine revolutions figure. torque only really matters when an engine is moving slow. its not everything not by any means and i want to just punch some one square in the face every time i hear that.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_h...ngine_10066036
Old 09-07-2008, 11:37 PM

A stock 350 isn't worth it imo. You guys would want to kill me for one moment for putting a chevy in my Z. Then when you took a ride in the car (Once I work out the kinks) you'd want to kill me so you could take my car for yourself lol.

I guarantee performance-wise, none of the Z's any of you have compare in both power and performance lol. I'm not siding with mich or whatever, but you guys are all hating and it's irritating. My 350 is friggin amazing in that car, it hauls much ***. If you don't like it, don't be little whiny trolls and post in his thread.

If you want to help him, help him, if not, seriously, get a new hobby lol. That or cry about how cheaply your car gets out-done by someone else who doesn't care for silly traditions like you.

P.S. It's an auto too, and it'd still walk all over your shin nippon garbage =D

Last edited by Zachrates; 09-07-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zachrates
A stock 350 isn't worth it imo. You guys would want to kill me for one moment for putting a chevy in my Z. Then when you took a ride in the car (Once I work out the kinks) you'd want to kill me so you could take my car for yourself lol.

I guarantee performance-wise, none of the Z's any of you have compare in both power and performance lol. I'm not siding with mich or whatever, but you guys are all hating and it's irritating. My 350 is friggin amazing in that car, it hauls much ***. If you don't like it, don't be little whiny trolls and post in his thread.

If you want to help him, help him, if not, seriously, get a new hobby lol. That or cry about how cheaply your car gets out-done by someone else who doesn't care for silly traditions like you.

P.S. It's an auto too, and it'd still walk all over your shin nippon garbage =D
Hey man chill...it's all good. I will agree with some of the stuff you are saying. But I don't think anybody is hating on him. We do poke fun around here too. But it is true...that not all V8's make a lot of power out of the box. Unless you have a block older than '72..then you are talking. Unless it is the LS1 or LS2...(Chevy-wise) Or if you are talking Ford or whatever. They make make pretty good hp in stock form. But I wouldn't put a Ford in my Z either. :P Anyway...I will say something else on the subject. I do agree some people need to lighten up a little bit. Anyway can't we all just get along?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 AM

I'm just pissed a little. Back when I had a stock Z too, almost no one (Save for Matt, who's a friggin awesome guy, not just for his Z knowledge) helped. In fact I was kind of made fun of. Then I made a post for my aspirations on getting my Z faster and more performance-savy and I was met with the same distaste and BS. The simplest, most effective way to up the power and performance is to change the engine out. You don't mount a scope on a pistol when you want to shoot at rifle distance. It's just silly the irony of not wanting to put a v-8 in, but to butcher a v-6 with over-boring and turbo's etc to basically do the same thing, but less effective as a v-8. Then turn around and look down upon someone actually using a more efficient manner to increase performance. If you don't like it, then don't comment, it's as simple as that.

We come here to learn, and everyone is just nay-saying and snide. It's irritating. I can't help but feel sort of similar to Mich since the same crap happened to me. It's cool to joke, but, we all know it's not all a joke. You seriously think it's ridiculous and that's fine. So why not be nice, and help someone, unbiased, and not just keep shooting him down. Thats all I'm saying - also, it feels good to know I spend less and have a better performing car, ESPECIALLY after all of you let me know just how retarded you thought it was lol. Bonus points to me.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:22 AM
The Good Twin

If you don't like it, then don't comment, it's as simple as that.
If no one ever got negative criticism, would there ever be a desire to improve? If you got a pat on the back for doing anything good or bad, would you just sit back and be satisfied? I've had to learn to take negative criticism... it's not fun, but you LEARN and IMPROVE from it. It also helps you to see other peoples' points of view & understand that there is usually more than one way to do / achieve things.

Now... I have been the person giving negative criticism on this thread, and most other V8 swap threads. I haven't on Zachrates / Shady's because well... that's an already done deal, and Shady knows exactly what he's doing. Back to this thread, I've made a fuss about dropping in a 454 because it's overkill, a waste, and not much of an improvement over the stock inline 6. Contrary to the "HUGE" 454 number ( ) it wasn't much of a motor. Instead of wasting all that time, money, and Z... build a wild 350 and be done with it. It's still going to cost more than $200-$600 for the motor swap. I'd like to hear the final total for Shady's professional swap... and I'm sure he's giving Zach a huge deal.

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-08-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM

I agree about the 454. I think a wild 350 is better also, seeing as I had that put in my car too.

That being said, negative criticism is fine, when A) Someone asks for it, and B) it's not done in a snide manner. You can just say, "the 454 wouldn't be my choice, because blah...however, if thats what you want to do, you can do it like this" - not "lol thats AMAZING a whole 60 horsepower gain blah blah blah" like a bunch of children. He didn't ask for your commentary, he asked for help.

Final total was $3567.12 for my swap 60+ hours of labor. Parts, exhaust etc. And he did give me a deal - he's a great guy. Now, to rebuild my engine, would have been $3500-$4500 around here. I wouldn't do the swap if I didn't think it wasn't near the same cost I would have had to rebuild it. People can cut corners too. $200-$600 is a bad number, yeah, it's going to cost you $1000 at least, it's not so much as telling him that it will be more expensive, it's just I hate elitist crap like you've all been feeding him. Warn him about it, and be done with it, don't taunt the guy, be decent at least.

Also, he mentioned he's not keeping the 454 stock. A v8 has more power potential than a inline 6, no matter how you calculate the numbers. 2 extra cylinders. So theoretically his car will have more potential this way. Like I said, I wouldn't go with a 454, but thats what he wants to do - maybe he can get GREAT deals and knows some people, you don't know.

You guys are no different. Just, you decided to alter a different engine into a beast, and because it's japanese, it lets you sleep at night knowing you kept it the same haha it's like a bad joke. You can like those engines better or what have you, but you can't claim some moral high ground like what you do to your cars tricking them out is any different from what I did, or he's doing.

In the meantime, you can wait till he provides results. When he does, and if they suck... THEN you can ream him with I told you so's lol
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM

thank you zach, there should be more ppl like me n you because not everyone can stand up for themselfs.

back to the subject, the 454 is out of the picture. i have already purchased the 350 small like i previously stated.

back to the 454 subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QB_SGy24s8

they will outperform any Z car engine IF they are built up, but you cant expect stock engines to be "racing" engines.

the 454 is a big iron anchor if its not fully out done, bored, blown, cam'd, etc.

I agree about the 454. I think a wild 350 is better also, seeing as I had that put in my car too.

That being said, negative criticism is fine, when A) Someone asks for it, and B) it's not done in a snide manner. You can just say, "the 454 wouldn't be my choice, because blah...however, if thats what you want to do, you can do it like this" - not "lol thats AMAZING a whole 60 horsepower gain blah blah blah" like a bunch of children. He didn't ask for your commentary, he asked for help.

Final total was $3567.12 for my swap 60+ hours of labor. Parts, exhaust etc. And he did give me a deal - he's a great guy. Now, to rebuild my engine, would have been $3500-$4500 around here. I wouldn't do the swap if I didn't think it wasn't near the same cost I would have had to rebuild it. People can cut corners too. $200-$600 is a bad number, yeah, it's going to cost you $1000 at least, it's not so much as telling him that it will be more expensive, it's just I hate elitist crap like you've all been feeding him. Warn him about it, and be done with it, don't taunt the guy, be decent at least.

Also, he mentioned he's not keeping the 454 stock. A v8 has more power potential than a inline 6, no matter how you calculate the numbers. 2 extra cylinders. So theoretically his car will have more potential this way. Like I said, I wouldn't go with a 454, but thats what he wants to do - maybe he can get GREAT deals and knows some people, you don't know.

You guys are no different. Just, you decided to alter a different engine into a beast, and because it's japanese, it lets you sleep at night knowing you kept it the same haha it's like a bad joke. You can like those engines better or what have you, but you can't claim some moral high ground like what you do to your cars tricking them out is any different from what I did, or he's doing.

In the meantime, you can wait till he provides results. When he does, and if they suck... THEN you can ream him with I told you so's lol

Last edited by michanic220; 09-08-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 AM

No problem man. I'm just tired of people doing that to me, or others.

Small block 350 is good, only 100lbs more than the l2. Stock is worthless yup, so you build it up like mine is and you'll be FLYIN. It's pretty pricey, but not as pricey as all the stuff they're doing to their Z's lol.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Externally Wastegated

I have yet to criticize the swap, and in fact I'm open to whatever the hell people want to do to their cars. Put a 2 stroke in the engine bay, I could care less. All it appears to me is that you all seem to have a chip on your shoulder, and claiming ALL people on this forum are some elitist Nissan fanboys. Lighten up, not everyone here looks at an engine swap negatively.

I know the limitations of the 40 year old engine design that resides in my Z, and I don't tout it as God's gift to car owners. I've messed with cars of all makes and have no preference so long as they're fun to drive. I just held onto my Z because I like the balance of power/handling over sheer straight line speed. If I had the funds I'd drop a 2JZ, 1JZ or something along those lines in because I like the sound of an inline 6, but for now the turbo L will do.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM

I was generalizing, I didn't call you directly out, it's just in general, thats what this forum did, to me, and to mich. Don't get so defensive, i didn't say YOU did it, did I?

On the same token, it's good that you don't care what other people do to their cars, and it's cool that you like the sound better. Just the majority of the people talking about performance have performance mods on their engine, then turn around and chastise others for swapping a v8. There is NO logic in any argument that way.

Next time I'll add "Seems like most of you" instead of "All of you" fair?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Über User

i have no problem with engine swaps, i have problems with people sticking a cast iron V8 that STOCK STOCK STOCK ******* not a special edition or crate motor but STOCK didnt make **** for horsepower seeing as its a 5.7 litre motor. now the 350 is easy to mod and get great HP from but your gas mileage is going to suffer crazy and if you ok with that then cool now if your going to say your L motor was getting about the same as it will then once again im irritated and the ignorance and blissful stupidity. then saying a cast iron V8 is going to weigh less with aluminum heads or near the same as the L is another niche that gets me riled up. further more thinking that with that extra weight the car's handling isnt going to suffer, you now have a heavier than stock vehicle, possibly worse weight distribution and claiming that it will still be a good handling car is a stretch, can be done at least this time but with a good amount of work.... an all aluminum V8 swap on the other hand from a current car like a C5 vette aka LS1 or better is a different story, it actually can do ALL those abouve. now once again, i have no problem with teh swap other than your kinda turning it into a straightline car but it will still be bad ***.... i have a problem with the claims and arrogance and idiocy that seems to come out of the people planning on or performing the swap....

ALSO you need to do a little research a STOCK 350 from GM made 150-170hp unless it was from the corvette then it was in the 200's somewhere.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 09-08-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM

LOL your whole post is like a whiny child. I also don't know who you're directing your banter at so I'm just going to assume it's me.

He said he's not using a stock 350. I'm not using a stock 350.

Guess what, I see almost no difference in mpg from my old badly tuned engine. Your comparison was to stock motors that's nice, no one was talking about stock motors I was talking about MY engine with MY swap. Now you're making me lawl so hard when you're arguing AGAIN about stock when AGAIN he's saying it's not a stock motor. I'm also lawling at the fact that you think my v-8 weighs so much more, when it's only 100lbs heavier which is minuscule, and still cheaper than your mods - we might waste more gas, but we have more performance, fine trade if you ask me. I drive for fun, power/speed = fun.

Basically in a nutshell your whole point is worthless seeing as we're not talking stock (Anymore) we've got built up engines. I am enjoying seeing you lash out with a point that has no significance to the discussion though.

P.S. If you guys had read, he isn't using a 454, he isn't using a stock 350. So if you commented on that, it means you're either just arguing about something moot/trying to prove to us all you're just an elitist, or didn't read.

Also, none of what I said, was an attack, I was just doing what you did to us, make fun of our opinions. This is so much fun isn't it? Maybe you can learn from this and stop trolling people with biased crap.

Also, learn to read.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
The Good Twin

Basically, and in a nut shell... we could argue about this forever. Hoo-rah!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Über User

lol i sound like the child, did you read your own post a few back crying and accusing. also it wasn't pointed at anyone... it was situationally put. i think you need to go back to high school and learn context clues and subject and predicate, you'll notice, i didn't use anyone's name. that's a pretty big hint so don't get all butt hurt. also i know he switched to the 350 and also no where did he say if his was a stock or not but sounds like a project motor or stock with only 130psi compression to me. he was posting numbers on some goodwrench 350 motor but for all i know that's what he thinks a stock 350 is or thinks im naive enough to think that is a stock 350. also zach your the person that jumped in and started putting people down and getting aggressive, last i checked this thread was not so negatively toned till you came in.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM

I didn't put anyone down =P. I just put the irony of your ideals in perspective.

Negatively toned? lol maybe not for you guys, who liked the 'friendly' insulting of his ideas. I basically just did the same thing to you, insulting your opinion, and pointing out something flawed in your logic (Even though it doesn't matter) and look how crazy you got. Think about something before you say it next time. Now you know why we got all defensive ourselves - it's not fun to be made a fool of, is it? You can just prove someone wrong, and not taunt them in the process - just pointing out that you could have avoided any reaction by doing so.

You can interpret it as whining, it's easier to bring me down to your level, I know.

Also, I'm sorry if my reply wasn't as much in context as you would have liked, your post was kind of hard to understand. Also, I never insulted anyone, you however, did.

And your post wasn't pointed at anyone LOL. Yes, because directly correlating your attack of "Ignorance and blissful stupidity" on to the only point I had made on this thread prior was keeping to anonymity wasn't it. Yes, you're right, it wasn't directed at anyone haha.

I had already known what type of person you are back when you kept telling me how my own engine performs lol it's pointless to argue with you so I wont argue about the car anymore. I'm whiny, sure, whatever, I don't care anymore after this.

And...Nismo is right. There's a reason I gave up debate, it just isn't worth it.
So...
I'll tell you what. You can just keep on believing what you want, and I'll do the same.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow...this all started to become quite entertaining..lol As for the V8 swap in a Z. I personally would never do it. But I wont slam or put you down...if you do. It's your car...lifeguard is right on that. Now I'm not saying...that I will agree to what you are doing. But I wont badger you to death...because you did it. I for the most part..try to get along with people. That will allow me too. Basically...I give a person the benefit of the doubt. Before I judge or whatever on them. I am a usually calm cool..easy-going individual...as my friends would say.

Anyway with stock hp numbers. I want to put my input on that. My '71 Oldsmobile 98 455 in stock form. Had 365 hp..in stock form. Granted I couldn't go very high with the rpms. But man was it a torquey motor. My '69 Buick Skylark 350..which I now have in my Firebird. Had 260-270 hp stock. Now with a few things on it. It has 385 hp. My current engine..which I want to put in my Firebird. For the end result. Is a '67 Pontiac Catalina or Bonneville 400. Which in stock form is 265 hp. I looked all these up in my dad's old skool Chilton's. Anyway when I get done with my 400..it will be pushing 500-600hp. With my dad's past racing motor build knowledge. Anyway my point mainly for this..was to point out not all GM motors come with low hp. Oh and all these engines have been in...or are currently in my Firebird as of now. Oh and the thing with me is. A Firebird or Trans Am..was always one of my dream cars. So to make that dream more reality. I want to put my Firebird back to Pontiac.

All in all...I love my L28 in my Z. And I love to drive it daily. And most of all..I like the sound. So in a nutshell. michanic220...and Zachrates...anybody else. If putting a V8 in your Z. Makes you happy...and floats your boat. Then more power to you. As long as you are happy and content with it. No big deal.. We all like different things. Whether it be engine size or type. Or numerous other things. And I look at it this way. As long as it doesn't affect me..in any way. Then go ahead and feel free. Okay I think I have said enough. Carry on...heh heh
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Über User

man even when your trying to be cool about things your still putting words into my mouth. Please just sit down and don't chime in again unless its helpful or some one is actually using your name followed by insult I'm done with you if you are going to not be open in the least bit like I said I'll respe t a car for what it is as long as it deserves some yet you still come in here acting like everyone is a strict nissan fan boy doing nothing but putting him and you down for using a v8 and you'll notice we all have only teased on falsely stated things or gave helpful pointers some perhaps biased but none saying don't do it or insulting

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 09-09-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Big Poppa

wow, i dont log in for a few days, and i got some reading on my hands!! now that ive driven and built up both kinds of s130, and ridden in a built turbo car. i dont know what id build. if it was going to be v8, id use porcshe or rover all aluminum (310 lbs complete weight) if i was going to swap a turbo motor it would be rb25. but overall for a quick, not fast car, ill stick with the n/a l28. its just a personal challange of mine. as for the track car, hmmmm rb anyone? thats a few years away, got a l28 with webers for it now. zach spent 3500 or so, he got 400hp, i spend 6000 on my l28 n/a and got max 220 at the wheels, if i got it tuned. and prolly need more $$$ to get anywhere close to 250. whats 6000 into a turbo get you on these things? its all personal choice, i dont care ill swap anything for someone!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 AM

Wildman I absolutely agree with as well. Whatever floats your boat. We all come here because we like Z cars, the design, the engine, whichever. We all have Z's so why don't we just all agree we each like something different about them.

I'm not going to argue stupid elementary school crap with you, you can think that you didn't direct a comment at me or not, so I guess without saying your name, this comment isn't directed at you. Damn man, you've hit a new low. How dumb can you get. Keep in mind, haven't said who I'm directing this comment at so, don't take it personally LOL. P.S. I corrected my generalization on saying "All of you" I said, I meant to say "Seems like all of you" again, failing to read seems to be your biggest problem.

I'm trolling so hard right now, I apologize but this thread has made me LOL so many times =D.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Externally Wastegated

Next time I'll add "Seems like most of you" instead of "All of you" fair?
Sounds fair, blanket statements are never good.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 AM

did i not mention a GM crate engine? guess not.
and a iron block V8? dude the L series have cast iron blocks also.
snwbrder get out of the house, go look at some V8 Z cars. the engines are ALOT shorter then the L series. if anything it would help weight distribitation because you dont have a long @$$ inline 6 all the way up in the front of the car.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:11 AM

on another note, couldnt have said it better myself wildman
everybody is intitled to there own oppenion and intitled to do whatever they please with there car. if all the Z cars were the same then what would be the reason of this forum? of all the car shows alot of us attend? if there all the same then theres nothing new. being no reason to look at the car at all.
as for the V8, i dont know if its stock or not. i assume not with the 4 barrel rockchester quadrajet carb. and soon to be elderbrock intake and hugger headers. so i reckon its not. i dont beleive they had 4bbl on stock 350's. only 2 barrel? i might be wrong tho..
Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
The Evil Twin

electric all the way
Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
The Good Twin

Okay okay... this is probably the last time I'm going to post in this thread, and I'm only CLARIFYING this time, not trashing.

Originally Posted by michanic220
did i not mention a GM crate engine? guess not.
That doesn't mean anything important. Honda makes crate engines too.

and a iron block V8? dude the L series have cast iron blocks also.
Your point? We've already discussed this... Cast Iron = Cast Iron. Aluminum = Aluminum ... if you have MORE metal... you have MORE weight.

go look at some V8 Z cars.
That's the problem... there are thousands of SBC 350s all over the place... it's been done, and done, and done, and done again... how unoriginal is the 350 now-a-days. Pop the hood... oh look... a 350... next....

I think it's cool that people can build a wild motor... but it's just been over done.

the engines are ALOT shorter then the L series. if anything it would help weight distribitation because you dont have a long @$$ inline 6 all the way up in the front of the car.
Actually Nissan designed the 280zx to be almost perfect 50/50 weight distrib w/ an inline 6. Throw in a heavy *** V8 plopped back farther and you've lost the balance.

Search this Thread