280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280zx turbo motor in na car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM

280zx turbo motor in na car

ok so i have 2 cars an n/a 5 speed and a auto turbo with rebuilt motor.
i wanna swap the turbo engine into an n/a shell. there are plenty of parts available near me. i have always gotten my hands dirty to save cash and am lookin to do the same here.
i can get a turbo harness(w/ spankin new sensors and connectors)300$
ecu for 5 speed turbo(free)
afm from oriellys (200$ plus life time warrentee)
i like my long 3rd and 4th gear so ima upgrade clutch and fly wheel and keep the n/a tranny if it blows ill buy a new one.. i let yall know
my questions are:
A)) can i use an automatic turbo harness with a 5 speed ecu?
B)) can i use a automatic ecu/harness with a 5 peed tranny? ive talk to some mechs. in town who say, all u have to do is mod it so the car will start in nuetral becouse there no park...(got a guy who says no prob. if i do that)
c))) how does it play out if i try to use as much as the n/a 5 speed efi system as possible( what at a minimum will need to be changed out.
if yall got some good info i can start sooner im bored with 2 excellent running z's
just respond to which one is best and if u've done it before or seen it done(dont explain each one..)
well let me know what u reply to A,B,or C.. to keep the thread organized. cuz im tired of swap threads turning into picture shows with no insight on what they have done ...
i feel since i have the cash to make mistakes we can just all learn from me.. lets make an affordable l28et to n/a shell swap
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM
The Good Twin

Aren't questions A & B the same?

The ecu / efi harness doesn't involve the transmission.
You can use the entire car harness from the turbo, and just fix the inhibitor switch. Search Fubar's threads, he has an "Auto to Manual Transmission Swap" thread.

Question C: Don't be cheap. Use the turbo EFI or go MSnS.

Please search. We've discussed "turbo swaps" to death.

A good read on "the cheap n/a to turbo" swap: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...rite-up-32792/
Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM

ive seen that thread but im not interested in the details it takes to covert an n/a motor.. and yeah discussed to death is right .. theres never a real read it and try it solution..
ok so if i use an automatic turbo EFI harness.. do i
A)) have to use 5 speed turbo ecu and afm..
b)) use the auto ECU and auto turbo harness(if so do i just need a power souce for the ecu) cuz the clips on the auto and 5 speed harness are different..

idealy i wanna use the automatic turbo harness and automatic ecu. as those are the most common turbo shells in tx. and put those into an N/A
is this possible? if so, what is needed to make this happen.( i.e any sensors from a turbo model needed)

the only issue i can think of is that the VCM used for auto trannies to up shift and down shift when flooring the pedal.. and also effect how the car idles when i unplug it on my turbo..
if using the auto harness and ecu will this effect the motor running if the VCM is not present???
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
The Good Twin

Let's clarify some things...

Use the L28ET efi harness with the L28ET engine. Use whichever transmission you want, and if you use the manual transmission with the automatic harness, just fix the inhibitor switch:

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The ecu / efi harness doesn't involve the transmission.
You can use the entire car harness from the turbo, and just fix the inhibitor switch. Search Fubar's threads, he has an "Auto to Manual Transmission Swap" thread.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by koprutzxt
ive seen that thread but im not interested in the details it takes to covert an n/a motor.. and yeah discussed to death is right .. theres never a real read it and try it solution..
ok so if i use an automatic turbo EFI harness.. do i
A)) have to use 5 speed turbo ecu and afm..
b)) use the auto ECU and auto turbo harness(if so do i just need a power souce for the ecu) cuz the clips on the auto and 5 speed harness are different..

idealy i wanna use the automatic turbo harness and automatic ecu. as those are the most common turbo shells in tx. and put those into an N/A
is this possible? if so, what is needed to make this happen.( i.e any sensors from a turbo model needed)

the only issue i can think of is that the VCM used for auto trannies to up shift and down shift when flooring the pedal.. and also effect how the car idles when i unplug it on my turbo..
if using the auto harness and ecu will this effect the motor running if the VCM is not present???
There are step by step swaps. Check it out here - first post!

It's as straight forward as any EFI engine swap you'll ever do.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM

ok, so ima use an automatic turbo efi harness and and automatic turbo ECU.
ima wire everything up this weekend and then swap the motor the following weekend..
my question now is
A) how does the ecu get power if all i have is the EFI harness and not the rest of the harness?..
i reacall my 5 speed having 3 connectors to the ecu and the automagic having just one long one..
so im guessing that i cant plug in any of the rest of the N/A harness to the automagic ECU,correct??
i do enjoy wiring up ,soldering and making fancy clips for custom wiring.
but never afarid to call inthe pros for help even though all he keeps sayin is "why dont u just swap in a 2jz" and proceeds to tell me how he can get me a grteat deal complete w/ suspension: (in a toyko accent) no r's and all
all before he takes my money and does what i tell him to do
b) yall think the wireing need to be done by a pro (aka have some one to blame)
please answer A" though id like to know even if i decide to get help
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

The EFI harness plugs into your fuseable link. Check the schematics it shows you exactly where you are getting power from.

The ECCS (turbo) computer has three plugs - the NA computer has a single long plug - two completely different computer systems. There is a significant amount of information regarding both computer systems in the FSM. The ECCS controls your ignition timing, has the additional knock sensor, etc, etc.

As for wiring it's virtually plug and play. Some people cut off the connector to the fuseable link but it simply unclips and you click in the new harness. I recomend replacing the connectors and running a star ground but I'm a little biased on the electronics side

I'd swap in a 2JZ before I swaped in an RB26 and I'm a hardcore Nissan fan but the 2JZ is just so much more capable out of the box. You're spending thousands of $$ and don't forget to upgrade the brakes and at least switch to the turbo CV rear end.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM

ok.. so ima check all this out tomorrow with the connectors ..
but im thinkin run fresh wire as i already have my fuel pump(kill switch), lights (come on with key turn) and fan (which i manually plug in now) becouse of un reliable wire... spent way to much time just find some bad wire
that way all that can fail is my alternator as i have an optima ohhhh
and star ground?? is that just a grounding kit?? or some sort of power distributer??
i googled it and just found some hks circle for grounding multiple grounds