280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?

Hey guys,
So here it is, I have been looking for a radio to put in my 280zxt and had no luck. I found this guy who has it and willing to sell to me but the problem is that he tried hocking it up to test to his 82 and the radio is 83 and it would not turn on. He is saying that I can still buy it and is pretty sure that there is nothing major wrong with it. I would not mind buying it from him if it requires me to do minor repairs and fix it up and get it going.
The problem is that we both don't know how much is it worth it...so he asked me to make him an offer.
Let me know what should I pay him???
What are the common problems that occur on the radio? can it be fixed?
I am thinking of offering him $30 plus shipping, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails 280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?-black-radio-001.jpg   280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?-black-radio-002.jpg   280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?-black-radio-003.jpg  
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
The Good Twin

It's from an 83 digi dash model which means the lights are green (just an FYI so you know it won't match your orange dash lights).

Working radios go from $20 - $200 on ebay...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

do you know any one who wants to sell there working one so I don't have to worry about this?
I don't mind if the lights are not matching...I think it will be cool
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM
The Evil Twin

dont' buy it unless it works. Those things commonly just die. I think its a power button issue but I have no idea how to fix one.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

Anyone know of any who wants to sell the radio that is working and will fit 82 280zxt?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 AM

Yeah, be careful. The tape deck is most likely not working, since the belts turn into black goo. They can be replaced, but it's a mess and I didn't bother. I have my iPod hooked into the back of the radio where the tape deck used to plug in, and that works, but the radio itself just scans - it's hooked up to an antenna, but it just doesn't work, just static. I would want to witness the thing working with my own eyes before I bought one.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

Originally Posted by iestyn.lewis
Yeah, be careful. The tape deck is most likely not working, since the belts turn into black goo. They can be replaced, but it's a mess and I didn't bother. I have my iPod hooked into the back of the radio where the tape deck used to plug in, and that works, but the radio itself just scans - it's hooked up to an antenna, but it just doesn't work, just static. I would want to witness the thing working with my own eyes before I bought one.

oh man! I wish I can find a radio unit that just works...it seem harder and harder as people tell me about there radios.
"Where do I find an OEM radio?"
Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM

I still have mine. Its works. The only problem I have is my antenna just wont go up but when it does I have no issues, no static. I just need to get into the wall and look to see why its not going up. I hear the motor working each time I press the power button so I know its just an antenna issue. My Z is an 81. Well I guess I do have one prob, its the seek buttons. They not workie so well but I can still get to any stations. I now want to look in the back of mine, I want to hook an MP3 player to it also NOW. My tape deck still works. Thats how I use my MP3 player at the moment. Otherwise I listion to my only tape I have, Ghost Busters soundtrack. Oh ya, Oh ya you know it. Who you gonna call.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

Do you have one working for sale? just getting to the point that I cannot stand the after market crap and wanna rip it out...looks so unoriginal in there...

Originally Posted by dustin_ra
I still have mine. Its works. The only problem I have is my antenna just wont go up but when it does I have no issues, no static. I just need to get into the wall and look to see why its not going up. I hear the motor working each time I press the power button so I know its just an antenna issue. My Z is an 81. Well I guess I do have one prob, its the seek buttons. They not workie so well but I can still get to any stations. I now want to look in the back of mine, I want to hook an MP3 player to it also NOW. My tape deck still works. Thats how I use my MP3 player at the moment. Otherwise I listion to my only tape I have, Ghost Busters soundtrack. Oh ya, Oh ya you know it. Who you gonna call.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by njgheewala
I cannot stand the after market crap and wanna rip it out...looks so unoriginal in there...
Dude... if you're doing all this because you want to keep it orig, just leave the stock stereo there & install a nice deck in the glovebox. My buddy did that in his 60's GTO to keep the stock look, but actually have a worth while sound.

The amount you'll spend just to obtain a WORKING stock deck is just about as much to install a NICE aftermarket deck.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

I know, but it just that I love the fact that the car has been restored and all the original parts are working...would make a great impression on people when i tell them.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 AM

280zx

Are you still looking for a radio?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 AM

84 analog radio

I have an 84 analog cassette / radio I pulled out of my z31, it has a service label on it, so it looks like the original owner had it repaired at some point, worked perfectly when I removed it, but to be honest, I never tried to play a cassette.
Attached Thumbnails 280ZX OEM radio w/Eq: how much is it worth it?-small.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM

That wouldn't work for his car, its a completely different radio.