1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade - ZDriver.com

280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #1  

1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade

hi. Iím new. FIRST POST. Iím not a mechanic. But take instructions well. My family has owned 83zxt 2+2 for 33 years with 138k miles. All stock. Was running well. But, Car would just die recently. No warning. RPMS just tank. Cool off for hour would run badly or not.. depending on how long cooled, but eventually dies again after a half hour to hour. So, it Repeats. 3 times now. Identical scenarios.
I looked at wires for the original stock ignition transistor pack/ ignitor/ ignition control module and they were burnt slightly with barbs coming from wires. I read about that. I cleaned up and taped, but I get what it means. Checked coolant sensor connection between 5-6 plugs; fell off in hand. Replaced coolant connection. But, still dies and skips a little when driving. Im guessing it is the original transistor is fried.
But! Im going to have 4 or 5 diagnostic tests done on it Thursday. But, I want to swap the original transistor pack for an upgrade regardless. As U know u canít find original part, new or used, or I would... Cause Iím stock. So, Iíve seen HEI vs pertronix ICM arguments here in old threads. Iíve seen diagrams from skittles. I just want to know the latest best ideas and the best 4 wire ignition control module/ignitor part number that can be recommended based on the newest thinking. Iím guessing good idea to replace coil now too. New wires, rotor, plugs, fuel filter are done. Thx for any input.
Roman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #2  
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!
The HEI unit has been proven to be unreliable at high RPM's. The better solution is using a Nissan PRW-2 ignition module that can be found on virtually all Mid-80's - Late-90's Nissan distributor engines... Pathfinder, Maxima, Altima, Quest, QX4, Mercury Villager, etc. See my attached diagrams.

Wiring:
PRW-2 plug right wire- connect to 280zx turbo yellow wire previously connected to ignitor. This is ecu pin 5 - grounding signal
PRW-2 plug middle wire- connect to body ground
PRW-2 plug left wire- connect to coil negative (-) terminal
Black white stripe previously connected to ignitor- connect to coil positive (+) terminal
Attached Thumbnails
1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-both-compare-smaller.jpg   1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-ignitor-schematic-280zxt.jpg   1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-ignitor-schematic-94maxima.jpg   1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-z31-ignitor.jpg   1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-hs2.jpg  

1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-car-1.jpg   1983 280zxt ignition transistor pack upgrade-pano-1-sized.jpg  
NismoPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #3  

Prw-2

Hi. Thatís what I needed. I had read about the high rpm issue but just wasnít seeing what I needed to use the PRW-2. I can follow what u posted. Huge help. Iíll get it done over next couple of days and let u know the results. After 33 years, Iím letting it go so just want it to be good to go to next owner. It will be nice to use a superior solution. Thanks again. Soon.. off to the Philippines. 😊
Old 08-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #4  

PRW-2 connector

Hi. I have found PRW-2s on line but I canít find the connector... pigtail. Iím an Ď83 and I have the transistor pack thatís built right onto the coil bracket. I donít have that connector. Any ideas where to buy? Iíll go to junkyard tomorrow local. But not many cars to look at there. Any ideas would help. Thx
Old 08-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #5  
The Good Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPick View Post
Pathfinder, Maxima, Altima, Quest, QX4, Mercury Villager, etc.
All of these cars have the PRW-2 connector (pigtail). So if you can find any of these cars at the junkyard (very likely) then you are in luck.
NismoPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #6  

No tach

hi. I got a prw-2 from Ď95 quest with pigtail and small mounting plate. I followed the instructions. It starts but no tach reading.. no rpms. Sits at zero. So, I used 4 wires. Three from the pigtail. My colors were green, black, and blue .. all solid.. from left to right as u described. My right wire is solid blue from prw2 so I connected that to yellow. I ran black from prw2 to ground on original coil bracket and ran green from prw2 to negative on coil. I then ran the black and white from the driver side firewall to the positive of coil. I think I got it right.

But! From the firewall are 3 wires. The yellow which I used. The black and white that I used but then thereís a solid blue that did run to the original ignition transistor pack and went to negative. I saw nothing for that so itís just hanging unconnected.

Any suggestions as to why tach at zero. But now a sidebar.. when I connected the battery back up I created spark when my wrench hit some metal. Could I have fried a relay or fuse to tach somehow or is it this unused blue wire that is pigtailed with yellow and b/w?

Thx
Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #7  

Itís the wire for tach

HI. I saw a diagram that confirmed the original blue wire from the driver side firewall, not the blue one from the prw2 I purchased, was to tach ... so I cut the tagged on wire from the old ignition transistor and connected it to the neg on coil and the tach works now of course. I took for test drive.. for a mile or two I still had some hesitancy in first to second gear but that went away and everything went well. Idled smooth, ran smoothe, but itís night and a 8 mile test is all. The real test is tomorrow when drive for an hour in 90-95 degree weather. If it doesnít shut down then I am good to go. If tests out Iíll post pics tomorrow of the module and how I positioned it. Even after 8-10 mikes that prw2 unit was quite warm.