ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   supercharging an L28 (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/supercharging-l28-7984/)

attromen 12-27-2003 10:17 AM

supercharging an L28

I'm thinking of supercharging my 280ZX n/a using a supercharger taken from a Toyota 1G engine. Is it worth the effort? the SC have a clutch pulley (maybe I can fit a on/off button on the steering wheel). The Air Cond will have to go and the crank pulley will need some allteration since the belting is different. What is the proper diameter of the main pulley? will I need a blow off valve and an intercooler?

Lazerus 12-30-2003 06:55 AM

IMO you would porobably get more go juice for you money with a turbo, but with that said as far as the intercooler and bov, you would only need those for higher boost applications. Are they good things to have, yes. Do you need them, no.

Hope that helps you a little, if you do this be sure to post plenty of pics, good luck.

-matt

attromen 02-22-2004 05:38 AM

I got a Toyota 1G supercharger for RM300 (thats US$60 I think) and the pulley, piping and brackets will not cost very much, since it has a on/off clutch will the motor still run like ordinary at off position? I also plan to fit injectors fron Nissan RB20DETT, do you know if it has greater cc or less? Thanks.

lifegrddude 02-22-2004 12:40 PM

Will the injectors work? I thought they were a different impedence than our system's. I think they flow about 270cc, but I'd have to go look through an old Option mag to find that and be sure. You'd be better off finding turbo Supra injectors as they flow a bunch and are low impedence like our OE ones.
John 82ZXT

Arro 02-28-2004 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lazerus
IMO you would porobably get more go juice for you money with a turbo, but with that said as far as the intercooler and bov, you would only need those for higher boost applications. Are they good things to have, yes. Do you need them, no.

Hope that helps you a little, if you do this be sure to post plenty of pics, good luck.

-matt

Umm, no offense, but anything over 7psi should be intercooled. Just because a few car companies in the 80s decided to run 10psi without them doesn't make it right.

Even my supercharged Corrado has an intercooler stock.

And BOVs help reduce lag time which for turbos is always a good thing. It also reduces the stress on the thrust bearing which for you guys with old turbochargers is a very very good thing.

And I do think that spending the effort to supercharge this thing is a waste when there's already a manifold and turbo setup that wil bolt right on (and is OEM). You might as well just swap in an L28ET and associated electronics.

speedgato2 03-21-2004 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Arro
Umm, no offense, but anything over 7psi should be intercooled. Just because a few car companies in the 80s decided to run 10psi without them doesn't make it right.

Even my supercharged Corrado has an intercooler stock.

And BOVs help reduce lag time which for turbos is always a good thing. It also reduces the stress on the thrust bearing which for you guys with old turbochargers is a very very good thing.

And I do think that spending the effort to supercharge this thing is a waste when there's already a manifold and turbo setup that wil bolt right on (and is OEM). You might as well just swap in an L28ET and associated electronics.

so is what you're saying is that i could just bolt on the manifold and head (p90?) from a turbo. using the appropriate electonics and perifrials i could still use the block already in my '82 zx?

Bleach 03-22-2004 01:12 PM

Yes, but the non-turbo piston rings are thin and weaker. If you're going to swap 80% of the turbo engine, why not just include the trubo block? its better that way.

Sell the supercharger on eBay. Some ricer will buy it and not know what to do with it, but you'll have his money.

smartman3000 03-22-2004 03:51 PM

Supercharger is definately the way to go. Believe me, you won't need an on/off button as soon as you bolt that baby in, you'll want the power all the time! With 8.8:1 compression and aluminum heads, this setup is perfect for a super. The boost will always be there and turbo lag will be non-existent! This is going to be great for you. Only problem I see is manipulating the computer to do what you want it to do, which shouldn't bee too hard with these older computers. Use the supercharger and you can spank all those Hondas on the road out there

Brian

buggy1 04-11-2004 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by smartman3000
Supercharger is definately the way to go. Believe me, you won't need an on/off button as soon as you bolt that baby in, you'll want the power all the time! With 8.8:1 compression and aluminum heads, this setup is perfect for a super. The boost will always be there and turbo lag will be non-existent! This is going to be great for you. Only problem I see is manipulating the computer to do what you want it to do, which shouldn't bee too hard with these older computers. Use the supercharger and you can spank all those Hondas on the road out there

Brian

i dont know about you but im spankin hondas around here allready
1 acura integra gave me a good run for it but he said he had about 3grand
in crap under the hood more chrome then a truck stop

AllmyZs 04-11-2004 07:55 AM

Go turbo it is easier cheaper. If you cant beat a Honda with a Z go back to driving school. Those juiced up riceers are pretty good in the stop light situation, but take him into a couple of corners and wave bye-bye. With the OE turbo the stop light thing wont be an issue.

BTW: I checked into a SC for my 78 280Z. It was about 2500 installed, with a supposed increase to about 400hp. I didnt beleive it and afetr checking I think I would go turbo., if I was gonna go with anything. I prefer N/A I just like the feel. The only Turbos I have ever liked were on a 92ZXTT and RX7TT. They did not have the lag or masive boost on downshifts in corners and were way easier to control. Just my thoughts.

rinyt-79 04-11-2004 12:23 PM

I don't know how you're going to plumb that supercharger into your intake, but I'd recommend using a 4 barrel carb for your fuel delivery instead of using fuel injectors. I think you could get your setup tuned a lot easier without having to wrestle with the electronics of the Z fuel injection system.

BTW - I don't know if it's still available, but Jim Cook Racing sold a supercharger kit for the L28.