280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on a turbo swap and a fuel rail question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM

Planning on a turbo swap and a fuel rail question

Alright, so the turbo swap on CL went to someone else, so I've decided to piece it together for now.

At the moment, I have the combo in my daily (f54 and a p79), and the combo in my parts z (not sure of what it is, but the head has square exhaust ports! Also a 79')

Assuming that the parts car head is a P90, I assume that it would be better mated with the F54 block with dished pistons?

To begin, I would like to run stock-ish boost (sub 10 PSI) with an IC and BOV. Any recommendations as to a turbo that can get better than stock performance (for long run plans), but works fine with sub 10 PSI? Or should I just use a stocker?

Ideally I would like to gather everything I can for the swap before having to use the f54 block from my daily, as this would make it hard to get places.

Also had a quick question on the fuel rail. I have a spare stocker from the parts car and am thinking about hacking it into a more simple design and trying it out. I know PPK did it before and said it had its problems. I have an aftermarket FPR that came in the mail today (supposedly) and think that it could quite possibly work. Should I hack it up and try it, or is this an obvious no-no that I somehow missed? PPK never went into details about the issues he had with it that I saw. Has anyone else tried it and have any imput?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 PM
The Good Twin

#1: The P90 head only came on L28ET's... so if your parts car is a turbo, you have a P90 or P90A.

#2: Boost levels on an L28E / L28ET are dependent on compression ratio, and fuel management.

#3: Dunno what kind of "hack" you plan to do w/ the stock fuel rail... it will still be a barbed rail running barbed injectors no? I just made a thread a few weeks ago about chopping up a Jeep o-ring rail.

EDIT...

I always tell people who are asking about motor building, to play with this Datsun Engine Design

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM

Well, the parts Z is definately not a turbo, but it does have square exhaust ports. It is also about an hour away from me, so I can't check the numbers on it.

For hacking the fuel rail I mean simplifying it to just be the portion that has the injectors and maybe hogging out the barbs on it a little bit. Essentially trying to make a ghetto pallnet rail from the stock one. Yes, I know it won't perform any better than stock, but it may simplify the engine bay a bit.

With the turbo, I would plan on running a boost controller to adjust the boost. Is there an ideal compression rate for optimal boost?
Currently I can't look at the engine builder, it won't display correctly on my phone.

EDIT: thanks, Marc, you have always been a great source of information. Also, I can't do the jeep version as I do not have access to or skills with a welder.

Last edited by MurphyEF; 10-04-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: .