280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I have Boost ?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:37 AM

Now I have Boost ?

I have really never had much boost if any.
I have a stock boost gauge. It has been zeroed out, so should be good.

I recently removed my AAC valve.
Removed Cruise control, with all the vacuum hoses assoc with them
Removed that bottle looking thing that had something to do with the Cruise and the AC, which is now also gone.

Guess what...Now I have boost Yes sir Doggy, really nice !!!
What Im finding is in first gear, the boost dosent really kick in very much, but when I go to 2, hold the wheel cause its taking off, it could go into the red, but I dont let it.
Now question is, This car was a automatic with a 3.54, is it just winding up to fast for the boost to help out before I need to shift to 2nd, it does kinda start to build boost, but by that time I need to shift, and like I said boost works great in all other gears.
I also got my speedo working, could that have something to do with the boost now working?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:03 PM
The Good Twin

Your mechanical speedometer has nothing to do with boost

The speedometer is driven by a cable from the transmission. If you have an 83 digi-dash, the only additional item is a fuse to light the pixels.

If removing the AAC and various other hoses "fixed the boost" then you had some majorly screwed up issues before.

However, I have a feeling that nothing really has changed mechanically, just that now your boost gauge is reading again (maybe you reconnected the hose to the boost sensor on the front of the left strut tower?). The boost sensor is connected to a hose, then connected to the set of hardlines along the side of the intake manifold.

Really what you need to do is hook up an independent aftermarket boost gauge to verify accurate boost.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:16 PM

As I see, the boost gauge, The vacuum hose comes from the intake, goes to about 3 inches of hard pipe going down, then connects to a vacuum hose going to the Boost Sensor. Why you have to go through the 3 inches of pipe, dosent make since, and adds 2 more connections that could leak. But that is how it is and was, something happened, and your right, probably the gauge started working. I just installed a known good VCM, and rehooked up the AAC , Now to take out and see if anything changed, if it went back to no boost or no gauge its going to be disconnected, I have to test to see if that was the problem. The gauge was working , just didnt ever get past 1/2 way, ever.Now I can send it into the red, if I want to.
Just dropped off my injectors to be cleaned and tested ( lucky I have 2 sets ).
Wonder where you can get a better fuel rail, I emailed Pallet, no answer yet.

And Yes a aftermarket gauge is on the list, its a long list, but its close to the top.
Thanks Mr Utah
PS, the only reason I though it could be the Speedo, was I think it has a speed sensor, and I thought since you can only get boost while running down the road under load, thought that maybe that had something to do with it. Just guessing

Last edited by DREAMYZ; 07-31-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Follow up,
So the short cable on the speedometer broke again, so no speedometer again, but the boost is still
working great, so my guess was wrong. getting a new boost gauge is still on the short list of things to do, but
first Im going to get a A/F Meter, hopefully a portable one, so I can help friends also.