280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exedy Clutch Grabs Poorly

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM

New Exedy Clutch Grabs Poorly

Hi, i've tried to ignore the poor response of my Exedy replacement clutch on my '82, but now that it has a good 3,000 Miles on it and it hasn't improved, i'm a bit worried.

Long story short: Clutch professionally installed, flywheel resurfaced. babied it for the first 800 Mi.

When doing a pull, shifting into the next gear, the wheels no longer chirp but instead the RPMS drag down slowly because the clutch just doesn't grab immediately. 2nd to 3rd is the worse, it probably drags for a good 2-3 seconds before it fully engages.

Its almost like im not letting the pedal out all the way when i shift, but i do.

Before the clutch was replaced, my Master and Slave cylinder were replaced as well as the fluid was changed.

Is there something wrong here, or is my clutch just really shitty? Lol

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Big Poppa

thats just a bad clutch, i bought a cheap one and will never do that again. sounds like oil on the surface, improperly prepped, or weak clamping pressure. take it back to the guys who put it in and have it looked at by them. who got the clutch and from where? did you buy and bring the clutch?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM

mine had an exedy and they BLOW
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
thats just a bad clutch, i bought a cheap one and will never do that again. sounds like oil on the surface, improperly prepped, or weak clamping pressure. take it back to the guys who put it in and have it looked at by them. who got the clutch and from where? did you buy and bring the clutch?
I bought it in a kit from eBay. Supposed to fit all coupe zx's and some 240sx's
It was installed at Datsonville in San Mateo, CA.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM
The Good Twin

x2 on taking it back to the shop.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
x2 on taking it back to the shop.
I never thought a clutch could just flat out be faulty from the factory... Dammit, spent $800 getting that clutch in, I hope if I take it back it won't cost me too much to get it looked at.

Last edited by SlicktopS130; 04-15-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Ebay ?

the one thing I don't understand is how people trust ebay for parts, when you can get better stuff at better prices elsewhere, really confusing to me. And now that the clutch is crapping out.. probably no way to get your money back or a replacement, hope I am wrong, but unfortunately this is gonna cost you twice. And, not all Z clutches are interchangeable, so when someone has a one kit fits all, I would run away !
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
the one thing I don't understand is how people trust ebay for parts, when you can get better stuff at better prices elsewhere, really confusing to me. And now that the clutch is crapping out.. probably no way to get your money back or a replacement, hope I am wrong, but unfortunately this is gonna cost you twice. And, not all Z clutches are interchangeable, so when someone has a one kit fits all, I would run away !
It's not that it was some random unbranded clutch. Its certified Exedy which HAD a 90 day warranty. It's not that it's crapping out, it's just always been this way.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Warranty

So can you get resolution and a new clutch ? I just don't trust ebay, to easy to buy counterfeit goods, and dealing with warranty service may not be so easy, my point being, sometimes, saving a few dollars in the short run, using ebay and hoping you don't get ripped off isn't so wise. Ebay seems more suited for hard to find collectables, not easy to get, very common, at the corner store, car parts.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 PM

So can you get resolution and a new clutch ? I just don't trust ebay, to easy to buy counterfeit goods, and dealing with warranty service may not be so easy, my point being, sometimes, saving a few dollars in the short run, using ebay and hoping you don't get ripped off isn't so wise. Ebay seems more suited for hard to find collectables, not easy to get, very common, at the corner store, car parts.
The warranty expired two months ago, so there's no getting a refund for sure... You guys really think the clutch is bad, huh? How long do you all think this thing will last before it goes out?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Here's the latest: Tried adjusting the master cylinder actuator thinking maybe it wasn't adjusted right to the point where the cylinder wasnt retracting enough to fully engage the clutch. Well, the friction point definately is lower now which will help me on hills, but no difference in the clutch's grabbing force. I guess it really is bad... But what part of it? The pressure plate? Disk?

Last edited by SlicktopS130; 04-16-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Shady280: " ...sounds like oil on the surface, improperly prepped, or weak clamping pressure..."

Agree. That's what they do when they're old and worn out - but not at 3K.

For basic replacement stuff, not high end parts, I have good luck with the auto parts chains. I bet Advance Auto around here has two or three clutch models available for a 280, various prices and quality. If I was shopping around, they would print out their listing page for each one and I could check each one out. Same thing at Auto Zone and maybe NAPA. All will give me a return warranty if there is a problem. But you don't want a problem where all the labor has to be done twice by you.

The other thing about the chains is they tend to hire at least some guys who do know cars and not just think they do. If you ask, they will turn you over to their own clutch 'pro' who may have experience with one or more of the brands they sell. I bought the wrong clutch for my Honda, lasted 40K but was just wrong for the car. A parts guy found the right aftermarket clutch for it - he had installed one himself - and mine is perfect now. So it's OK to press for some real experience and recommendations from the store guys for the part you need. Clutch is way too critical to guess about. Usually the first Q I have is, "Is it from China or...?"

Good thing is you get to do it right this time. Compare with the clutch assembly parts avail at http://www.nissanparts.cc/index.cfm and maybe Courtesy Nissan.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 04-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

dang

Sorry to here, you are not the 1st person to guy parts and not install them immediately, I still have a timing belt kit for a z31 in the garage, had it about 2 years now. I was really hoping it might just be an adjustment issue, but it sounds like it is slipping all the time, kind of like an automatic manual. 1st clutch I replaced was when I was living in Pullman WA., it is all hills on campus, and it just tears up a clutch, was quite obvious when it started to slip badly, you just could not go up a steep hill. If you lived in a flat state like Florida you might be able to get away with driving it for a while.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Big Poppa

zxguy1986, he says its always been that way, hence the improperly prepped or oil part or weak clamping. I've seen way to many people come into a shop with a cheap clutch like a dyna pack brand that is nothing but junk right out of the box. i did it once and ill never do it again, even with the best prep some clutches just plain suck. i stick to factory or centerforce myself, there are others but not easily local to me.

Originally Posted by SlicktopS130
It's not that it was some random unbranded clutch. Its certified Exedy which HAD a 90 day warranty. It's not that it's crapping out, it's just always been this way.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM

Actually, as I check I see that Courtesy, ZParts and the other 'OEM' type stores are pretty good with offering basic Z clutch components and kits, more or less 'OEM.' Inkinda doubt they're from Japan...but could be wrong on that. I would def get one of those before I tried a pure aftermarket with a popular name. So I have to pay a little more - I know it's the right clutch. What works great on your buddy's Mustang or Acura may be pure crap on your Z. I went pure aftermarket for my Honda and got bad advice.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 04-20-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Nissan

Nissan OEM parts are made in Japan, and are held to a much higher standard of quality than any other parts. Just like Nismo parts, the Japanese have to much pride to hand over Nismo and Nissan parts to us amerikajean. Even Nissan cars made in America contain almost all Nissan parts made in Japan.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM

The Exedy brand name is what got my attention, but seeing that it was only 70 bucks for the kit kind of worried me a bit. Should have go e with my instinct. Anyways, how long do you guys think this clutch will last me before it completely goes?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Normal wear

Hard to gauge "normal wear" in your situation, if the clutch is slipping a lot or all of the time, it will wear out fairly quickly. In normal operation, your clutch would only wear during engagement, once engaged with the pressure plate, it does not wear at all. I can't imagine you getting a lot of fun out of driving it like that. I would plan on getting new parts as soon as you can.

Clutch :: 280ZX Parts (S130) 1979-1983 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Hard to gauge "normal wear" in your situation, if the clutch is slipping a lot or all of the time, it will wear out fairly quickly. In normal operation, your clutch would only wear during engagement, once engaged with the pressure plate, it does not wear at all. I can't imagine you getting a lot of fun out of driving it like that. I would plan on getting new parts as soon as you can.

Clutch :: 280ZX Parts (S130) 1979-1983 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
Luckily, it doesn't slip when accelerating hard in a higher gear yet, but I do have to granny shift so I don't burn the clutch when doing so. And yes, it's horrible response is no fun. I miss getting those long chirps in second gear...
Old 04-20-2014, 02:32 PM

chirps

Ya, exactly, its getting the chirps and not having to keep it in the back of your mind, sounds like it's not to terribly bad, you could get 6 months or more out of it if you live in a flat area, maybe more.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM

Ya, exactly, its getting the chirps and not having to keep it in the back of your mind, sounds like it's not to terribly bad, you could get 6 months or more out of it if you live in a flat area, maybe more.
I at least need it to last u till June when I'm out of class. I do have to takeoff from an incline where I live to get on the highway.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Sorry to hear that TheAssassian111
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Hah, don't worry about it lol. Going to get a Centerforce II clutch installed in a few months.