ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   hows this setup sound? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/hows-setup-sound-19748/)

snwbrderphat540 08-23-2006 04:23 PM

no more headers...with turbo you get turbo manifold.....plus wont the compression of the cylinders be to high what he is thinking, and hten to slap on a turbo?

NismoPick 08-23-2006 05:00 PM

And back to... an L28ET swap would be easier, better, and more efficent than trying to turbocharge an NA L28 (which has been debated 1 trillion times on this site).

It can't be any harder to find a 280zxt/L28ET than to look for & buy each part individually...

You'd need a turbo, turbo manifold, oil feed lines, oil pan w/ turbo return, larger injectors, a fuel management system to control it, a larger flywheel & clutch (not 100% necesary, but should be done unless you like to burn clutches), etc etc etc.... add up shipping & time spent for each part vs locating a complete L28ET....

arg! I've posted that so many times I might as well have a "copy & paste" version always on hand. :D

Steven280ZX 08-23-2006 05:15 PM

biggest problem the turbo exhuast manifold wont bolt on to it! its got square exhuast ports not round ... i gota P79 remember? what do i do to fix this problem other then buy a new head... and maybe id add sum headers?

entropy31 08-23-2006 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steven280ZX
what do i do to fix this problem other then buy a new head

buy a turbo motor.

NismoPick 08-23-2006 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
buy a turbo motor.

I tried explaining that one....

jfairladyz 08-23-2006 09:42 PM

biggest problem the turbo exhuast manifold wont bolt on to it! its got square exhuast ports not round ... i gota P79 remember? what do i do to fix this problem other then buy a new head... and maybe id add sum headers?

It doesnt matter. It'll still fit, it'll bolt right up.

Steven280ZX 08-25-2006 09:15 AM

lol naw not buyin a turbo motor... thats been ruled out.
and wen boltin on the turbo exhaust manifold wont the square to round ports be a little... well ... not flow good? is there sumthing i can put ther to fit it rite?

entropy31 08-25-2006 06:32 PM

lol naw not buyin a turbo motor... thats been ruled out.
and wen boltin on the turbo exhaust manifold wont the square to round ports be a little... well ... not flow good? is there sumthing i can put ther to fit it rite?

buy a turbo motor.

snwbrderphat540 08-26-2006 08:04 AM

haha.....turbo turbo.

SHADY280 08-26-2006 02:38 PM

hey guys, i finnally got to get in on this one. dont forget we live in canada here, turbo cars are not very common, even less common than the 280 alone!!! to build the setup you have steve, it is a great setup. if your going to get a header, it will have to be larger than 2", mine is 2.5". i had to remake the down pipe my self. i found it loses tons of power without it. all the flow work you have is great. you SHOULD get the bottom end balanced to increase safe redline, and just drivability. also lighten and balance the stock flywheel, those aluminum ones are just too light for the street. building this engine is about balance, no parts, most of the stock parts are great for any z setup. boring it out lots wont help much, just get flat tops and a litlle overbore if you must. strokers dont rev all that well, so you will have to sacrific some of your top end for some torque. i have a stock fi setup, it sucks, so plan for mega squirt, and larger injectors, these crappy stock ones are not quite enough, trust me, im lean at top end and super rich down low. now for the biggest bestest head mod, deck it .080 thou. it increases the comp raitio by 2 full points, the find you piston to head clearance, the buy the haedgasket, 1mm or 2mm. you need .025thou. and the cam nismopick has suggested is great, mine is very similar. feel free to read the bragging rights thread to see exactly what my n/a setup has. its about 200-210 hp at the rear wheels, if i ever get it tuned right, im close, but working on better. oh and by the way what block do you have and what year is the wiring/chassis setup are you going to use.

Steven280ZX 08-26-2006 06:17 PM

well i gotta f54 block and the wiring and chassis year i thot id use my 82... would that still work i didnt look into wiring yet... and i wouldnt need a exhuast manifold if i got headers ... rite? so screw the stock turbo manifold:D

snwbrderphat540 08-26-2006 06:19 PM

you lost me.......screw stock turbo manifold? headers? are we on the same track?

Steven280ZX 08-26-2006 06:29 PM

woh ok wait... u dont need an exhaust manifold w/ headers rite?

NismoPick 08-26-2006 06:39 PM

woh ok wait... u dont need an exhaust manifold w/ headers rite?

You might need a quick lession on what a header is:

HEADER:

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/featu...s%5CZMEH_t.jpg

EXHAUST MANIFOLD (not a 280zx one, but you get the idea):

http://www.lincolnpartsinternational.com/manifold.jpg

An exhaust manifold is usually cast, rough, and not meant for super high flow.

A header, IS AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD, but mandrel bent tubes welded together, for a better flow.

Steven280ZX 08-26-2006 06:46 PM

thats exactly what i thot it was... just got confused so the turbo bolts onto the bottom of the header rite?

entropy31 08-26-2006 06:57 PM

buy a turbo motor.

Steven280ZX 08-26-2006 07:00 PM

lol yeah rite find one for me in my area

Skully 08-26-2006 07:14 PM

so the turbo bolts onto the bottom of the header rite?

I really dont mean to sound like an ass here so if it comes out that way, its not the way I meant it to come out.

If you dont know where a turbo bolts up and differences between manifold and a header, I would suggest grabbing a good automotive book and reading how stuff works and looking at illustrations before digging too much into your project. It will be much easier for you, and also for us to help you.

But yeah the turbo bolts to the bottom of your manifold.
:048:

Steven280ZX 08-26-2006 07:17 PM

lol yeah i no im soundin like a little girl all excited about sumthin i dont no about... but yeah its how i learn... the lazy way:D
anyways screw headers... custem manifold

Skully 08-26-2006 07:24 PM

lol yeah i no im soundin like a little girl all excited about sumthin i dont no about

you summed it up better then me...stock turbo manifold is plenty for the output you are looking for, I would rather spend the money for the custom manifold on something else.

Steven280ZX 08-27-2006 04:40 PM

the problem is that if i bolt up the stock turbo manifold it wont flow rite... like it wont be efficient round port to square port... that just doesnt flow rite with me.:D

SHADY280 08-27-2006 05:11 PM

if your going turbo steve, you need a manifold, if your option is n/a you need the header. turbo=manifold n/a=header turbos dont bolt to headers

jfairladyz 08-27-2006 05:38 PM

the problem is that if i bolt up the stock turbo manifold it wont flow rite... like it wont be efficient round port to square port... that just doesnt flow rite with me.:D

You're not understanding this: Having the larger square port turbo manifold bolted to the smaller round ports of the non-turbo head is NOT going to impede flow. You need to get that notion out of your head. The turbo manifold WILL bolt right to your non-turbo head and it WILL flow just fine.

NismoPick 08-27-2006 06:02 PM

Anyone else getting a headache from this thread? :D

snwbrderphat540 08-27-2006 06:32 PM

no...im just sawing my ankles off.