ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   hot or cold plugs (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/hot-cold-plugs-10481/)

roninjiro 10-02-2004 01:19 PM

hot or cold plugs

when should i use a colder plug or when is a hotter plug needed?

Bleach 10-04-2004 09:08 AM

I don't know when a colder plug would be needed. I used a hotter spark plug once on a car with high miles that was burning a little oil. It would run good but then foul up the plugs every week. After running the hotter plugs, they didnt' foul up. That was a bad fix for an engine on its last leg...

fenderbender02 10-05-2004 04:29 AM

Has anyone ever used Denso plugs? I was told they were like NGK's and I was curious how they performed for anybody else. I tried to get the NGK's but they have to be ordered, hell they have to order the air filter. Any input would be helpful.

mayitin 10-07-2004 07:28 PM

plugs

Originally Posted by roninjiro
when should i use a colder plug or when is a hotter plug needed?

In the older days we change heat ranges according to what the engine told you. one step at the time if plugs are black one step hoter if they are white one colder, but you must have all other things runing right such as carbs and f injection.If you have a stock motor put the ones call for. :rolleyes:

TheeZ 10-07-2004 10:38 PM

So im hopin this goes here...

Bout time for me to replace plugs.. Whats your favorite as far as brand and material goes?

EZDUZIT 10-08-2004 06:02 AM

I run only NGK plugs in all of my Nissans and my Suzuki Samruai. However I am going to try a set of Denso Irridum plugs in my 300ZX Turbo. They Run theese plugs on just about every modified turbo car I've ever seen, From WRX's, Mustangs, Z's, Supra's, You name it . So I have to give them a try :p But to answer your question, don't waste your time or money for more expensive plugs IE(Bosch Platnium, AC Delco+4,Splitfire) I can't see any more performance or longer life from these over your standard issue NGK Plug. And just on a personal note I wouldn't put an AC Delco plug in my Lawn mower :) Thanks and hope this helps!

Bleach 10-08-2004 07:31 AM

Same here. I use NGK.
Stay away from Autolite.

TheeZ 10-08-2004 03:38 PM

alrite coo.. ive always used NGK just wasn't sure if ya guys had found anything new. ill stick with it thanks

fenderbender02 10-09-2004 05:18 AM

But you do recommend giving the Denso plugs a shot right?

duckyz 10-09-2004 06:41 PM

I have used Champion copper plugs (about $.49 each) and found that they perform about as well as anything on the market. The only problem I had was removing them. The ceramic isn't as strong as other brands. Each one had a crack or shattered when I changed them out.

This last time, NGK wasn't an option (parts store stopped carrying them for some reason....) so I went with the Bosh Platinum. Yeah..I know.... but they work well.