280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:32 AM

ECU REPLACEMENT

I replaced the stock ECU in 1983 280ZXTurbo with a Jim Wolfe performance unit through Motorsport Auto. Yes...it does make a difference...more so on a Turbo model.

I also upgraded with an intercooler, aux boost control and adjustable spring pressure intake manifold pop off (relief valve).
Old 08-14-2003, 05:06 AM

HP ECU + POP OFF

Hi Chris,

I purchased the Pop off unit from Motorsport Auto. You buy the pop off assy and then there is an internal spring that can be purchased specifically (4 types; different colors for relief variable) that allows max boost psi 18, 16, 14 or 12 prior to boost relief activation. You also will require an adjustable boost controller to override factory restrictions. With these mods, it will require an intercooler to prevent detonation with the extra compressed hot air. The pop off valve does not appear in the MSA website but it's in the catalog.

in regards to the performance computer ECU, when I purchased it, I plugged it in without any of the other mods and quickly realized a definite upgrade in performance.

Steve
Old 08-14-2003, 01:15 PM

Chris,

You definitely do not want to block off the relief valve opening. You risk excessive intake manifold pressure, which could result in blowing your head gasket, or worse, the engine.

Scuttlebutt says that the Z Turbo engine (81-83) can take up to 3-4 psi of additional factory boost, before detonation occurs. After that, additional boost psi requires the intercooler.

Factory boost is "supposedly" set at 7 psi by the waste gate controller but usually is set artificially lower. The Auxilary boost controller overrides the waste gate by vacuum pressure (you can buy the manual controller for $100 from MSA) and gives you the extra BOOST control. This is where the Rated spring psi set on the pop off valve comes into play.

You should safely be able to go to 10-11 psi on your boost without adding the intercooler. (note:Each spring has a range of psi. The rating of the spring is the highest it will allow. You can regulate the psi within the spring range by loosening or tightening the Pop Off valve adjusting bolt).

I run my spring @ 18psi with the intercooler.

Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 PM

For a dollar or two though you can modify the Pop off valve to open at higher boost. For about $5.00 you can modify it to handle really high boost. That way you still have the extra security of the pop off valve and you're able to boost high AND smooth.

Holy crap though, this thread is like 2 1/2 years old I think we've had more recent discusions on this topic though

Welcome to ZDriver.