280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap/Restoration

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM

Engine Swap/Restoration

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but I'm looking to get insight on an engine swap for my 1979 Datsun 280zx. I'm 20 years old and currently deployed to Afghanistan, so when I return home in or around June/July I'll have a nice bit of money to play around with. The car itself is actually in really bad shape, speedometer is broken, the entire suspension needs to be redone. Brakes and rotors should be swapped, it was having trouble starting too right before I left it in storage (I believe alternator issues).

Anyways, I plan on investing a good amount of money into the car and making it beautiful again. It's got a good frame on it and lots of potential, and I didn't pay much for it to begin with.

One thing I want to do (as well as fix up other issues) is swap out the motor. The current motor isn't putting out the power I want it too. I've heard about rb26dett motor swaps into the 240z's but I haven't heard too much about it into an 280zx.

I've also though about maybe an LS engine swap too.

Any ideas or good engine swaps? Also if anyone knows where to buy for the car it would make my restoration much easier, haha.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM

Go ahead & get the L28 running the way it should be, and reassess. A nicely tuned up stocker is a very fun engine on this car, especially with a good final drive. Get the suspension buttoned down and the brakes sorted out, obviously. Replace all your bushings. Clean up the interior. Nip any rust or bodywork in the bud, and get a quality paint job. Then if you're still not satisfied with the car, an alternative power plant might be worth it.

Engine swaps are fun to think about, but it sounds like you've got a lot of work to do before it's worth doing. A lot like mine. There are lots of V8-Z swap resources around if you dig around a little. RB swap information is a little harder to find, but it's out there. I've only browsed around enough to get an idea of the possibilities.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by xcalib3r21
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but I'm looking to get insight on an engine swap for my 1979 Datsun 280zx. I'm 20 years old and currently deployed to Afghanistan, so when I return home in or around June/July I'll have a nice bit of money to play around with. The car itself is actually in really bad shape, speedometer is broken, the entire suspension needs to be redone. Brakes and rotors should be swapped, it was having trouble starting too right before I left it in storage (I believe alternator issues).

Anyways, I plan on investing a good amount of money into the car and making it beautiful again. It's got a good frame on it and lots of potential, and I didn't pay much for it to begin with.

One thing I want to do (as well as fix up other issues) is swap out the motor. The current motor isn't putting out the power I want it too. I've heard about rb26dett motor swaps into the 240z's but I haven't heard too much about it into an 280zx.

I've also though about maybe an LS engine swap too.

Any ideas or good engine swaps? Also if anyone knows where to buy for the car it would make my restoration much easier, haha.
Welcome to Zdriver man, and thank you for your service!

Yeah I would just fix things up, and get it running and looking nice. Before you think about doing an engine swap. Good luck, with your Z, when you get back.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

Yes, thanks for your service! I agree with the other two, get it going good then figure out weather or not you want to swap.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 PM

Any good websites of where I would be able to order some aftermarket parts? A performance suspension is where I'd probably start, along with some performance brake rotors/pads. I want to turn this car into my little baby, ha. I know a little about cars, but not all that much. I worked as a service technician for a few years before I joined the Army, so smaller jobs like brakes and stuff like that are easy for me. I could figure out suspension and all that stuff as well but I'd be more difficult for me.

Anyways, if I was to rebuild and clean up the engine, where would I start? Do you mean replace like the camshaft and rocker arms, etc?

Any good resources or information about restoration or where to find parts would be appreciated.

And thank you for your support, I should be returning home around June. I can't wait!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Any good websites of where I would be able to order some aftermarket parts? A performance suspension is where I'd probably start, along with some performance brake rotors/pads. I want to turn this car into my little baby, ha. I know a little about cars, but not all that much. I worked as a service technician for a few years before I joined the Army, so smaller jobs like brakes and stuff like that are easy for me. I could figure out suspension and all that stuff as well but I'd be more difficult for me.

Anyways, if I was to rebuild and clean up the engine, where would I start? Do you mean replace like the camshaft and rocker arms, etc?

Any good resources or information about restoration or where to find parts would be appreciated.

And thank you for your support, I should be returning home around June. I can't wait!
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/where-buy-parts-your-280zx-18264/
Here is the link to where to buy parts for the 280zx. If you want to rebuild, and clean up the engine. I would suggest getting a Haynes, and FSM for your Z. This link will help you with that.
http://www.xenonzcar.com/

There are also books out there. To help with rebuilding a Datsun or L28 engine. Probably could do a search on the internet. And find them. I can't remember off hand what they are called. Hopefully somebody else can help you there.

And I support somebody that is fighting for my freedom. Once again, thank you for all that you do. And be safe, and make it back home.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Big Poppa

yup do as above, get it running, it wont need a rebuild, just some tlc. then once you have evaluated what you like and dont like, then start the modifications. the rb series motor bolts into our cars and even utilizes the same driveshaft. the only hard part is the tranny xmember and some wiring. plus the oil pan needs some mods or a certain one with rear sump.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM

I'd also like to comend you for your service and offer some advice.

A sound aproach to any project car is too bring it up to stock condition first then improve brakes and suspension before increasing power.

Unless your motor is blown I wouldn't jump right into a rebuild. Even a high milage L28 can be tuned up to give good proformance with a minimum of parts and labor.

It's relatively easy to make these cars very fast with power adders or drivetrain swaps but if you don't increase your stopping and handeling in proportion it can get scary fast.

Try searching the archives of this site for more ideas on your build.
Also check out Hybridz.org for tons of info on motor swaps like rb's, v8's ,ect.
And Zcar.com for lots of repair/restore help too.

Theres enough great info and helpfull people on these sites to keep you reading till you get home safe.

Mark.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Well, I was very impulsive when I purchased the car. It's not in HORRIBLE shape, but I probably could have found better. The speedometer is broken, and there's some major electrical issue going on. The door light, fuel light, and brake light stay on at all times when I drive the car, except for when I'm stopped and I don't have my foot on the brake. The suspension is shot to hell, Idler arm on the passenger side is looser than hell, and the guy I purchased it from (cheap mechanic) had a tension rod from the passenger side flipped upside down and attached to the driver side. Didn't even put the bearings back on.

Right before I deployed in Oct. the car was giving me some starting issues and died on me once while driving. I believe it overheated but I don't think the temp. gauge works either. +

Anyways, I want to add a lot of performance to the car. Just to get it stock will cost me a good amount of money. I figured I'd skip restoring to stock and just completely redo the suspension and brakes with performance parts and then have the electrical system done.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Oh yeah I just remember, another thing wrong with the electrical system is that it like "dings" whenever I have my headlights on. No idea what that is about.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Oh yeah I just remember, another thing wrong with the electrical system is that it like "dings" whenever I have my headlights on. No idea what that is about.
Would that be, because you have the door open with them on? If so, that is a good factory warning ding.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Would that be, because you have the door open with them on? If so, that is a good factory warning ding.
I wish, just driving down the road it makes that ding and it drives me CRAZY.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Big Poppa

your door switch is not working correctly, as for those 3 lights, those may be the 3 that come on when the alternator sucks, or your warning box is screwed.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM

semper fi !!