280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Removing?

Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Cruise Control Removing?

So I have been looking to remove things that I don't need as a means to save weight and to clean up the cluttered engine bay. Since I converted the Cruise Control toggle switch to be for something else since the Cruise Control doesn't work, I thought I would just go out and remove it completely, plugging any vacuum ports that were left over. I followed the Hayne's Manual to see what was for the Cruise Control, and after removing it all, I went to start the car, only to find that the car would not stay running after startup, it would just start and die.

I put the Cruise Control back on, and it ran like total crap for about 10 minutes, bogging when I would hit the gas, but then I guess it recalibrated and now it runs fine.

With the throttle linkage working the way it does, is it possible to remove the Cruise Control and still have a working car, or do we have to keep it in order for the car to run?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
The Good Twin

All my cruise control shiz has been removed... no problems. The cruise control & ecu don't have much in common... just the speed sensor wire. It sounds like something is getting tweaked in the throttle linkage... double check to make sure it doesn't move when you take off the cc cable @ the firewall.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:21 PM

yea I made sure it all synced up properly, but here's where mine is having a problem... on my throttle line (coming from the gas pedal), the lever that moves when you push the gas doesn't seem to even be attached to the rest of the linkage... when I press the gas it pushes it up but when I let go it just falls back down... however, the cruise control linkage seems to be what is pulling the throttle to keep the engine from dying...
Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM

your Z? HA! My Z that you're just working on because I dont have time!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
No Club Love

Haha thats funny. My cruise control bracket, on the throttle linkage, was sticking and all i did was lub e her up and she's doing just fine. I took off the CC and asserories and its still doing fine, why don't you just disconnect the CC linkage and try with just the throttle...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
The Evil Twin

I have no idea how you could have issues. I just ripped everything out and.... ripped out the engine.

When I put a new engine it, it started. no cruise control and no AC anymore!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
When I put a new engine it, it started. no cruise control and no AC anymore!
Bleach is following in my footsteps
Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM

not sure, but when I have the CC linkage off, and start the car, it starts and then dies... when I got out and moved the throttle with my hand, it would but but the linkage going to the Throttle Body doesn't move at all... not sure what the deal is...
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
The Good Twin

Post some pics of the linkage w/ the cc disconnected. And when I say post pics... I mean pics that we can identify the parts
Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 PM

k will try to get some shots tomorrow...
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Did you remove the cruise control linkage assembly from the throttle shaft at the firewall? If you removed the entire assembly then the throttle linkage would no longer be linked to your accelerator pedal. I simply removed the cable and left the linkage in place. I too have removed the entire CC without a hiccup.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
The Evil Twin

ya, that's what it sounded like. You move the throttle body arm but the linkage on the manifold doesn't move?? umm... connect the linkage to your gas pedal.

I am NismoPick's twin for sure. Now I just need a blonde girlfriend
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
I am NismoPick's twin for sure. Now I just need a blonde girlfriend
Hum... you got 6 months before MSA... Dooo it! Dooo it!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM
The Evil Twin

That would be hilarious if I showed up with a blonde and my turbo 2+2 in grey primer... hehe

ok, I will try to find one... or I'll just get any old girl and make her bleach her hair! haha... BLEACH!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Did you remove the cruise control linkage assembly from the throttle shaft at the firewall? If you removed the entire assembly then the throttle linkage would no longer be linked to your accelerator pedal. I simply removed the cable and left the linkage in place. I too have removed the entire CC without a hiccup.
Yea that's exactly my problem... How do I remove the cable but leave the linkage in place? Can you snap a pic so I can see?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM

when I took it off, all I did was remove the canister by the shock tower, and the cable connecting it to the linkage... everything else I left the
Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by xtreme 2
Yea that's exactly my problem... How do I remove the cable but leave the linkage in place? Can you snap a pic so I can see?
Bro... this really shouldn't be hard. I have attached a pic. Circled is the only part you should touch. Push that half moon shaped linkage all the way to full throttle. The CC cable should be loose. Find the small cylinder shaped tip & slide it out of the hole. That is all you do.... no removing parts... no disconnecting other linkage... just take off that cable. That is all.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Removing?-ascd.jpg  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 PM

told you, that's all I did... however, after doing that, my throttle is unresponsive from the gas pedal...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 PM

make sure you didnt accidentally disconnect the lthrottle linkage in that area. Like accidentally popped one of the ball ends off.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM

nope, I didn't... like I said, took the cable off, it wouldn't start, put it back on and she fired right up...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:31 AM
No Club Love

It's probably a rastafarian car....must be hole to keep alive. Take pics. cause i even took off all the vacuum lines and other thing that are some what need, nd mine still running like a champ.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM

I'm sure he would take a pic if I didn't break his camera! Dont you have a cam phone Lee? Don't worry I'll pay you back once my checks from my new job start coming in a few weeks
Old 10-25-2006, 12:14 PM

lol I am borrowing Tricia's right now... will snap some when I get back to the apartment...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:38 PM

thats the weirdest ish I've heard in a while. Removing the CC cable rendered the car completely inoperable? As in it wouldn't even start? I thought you just lost the use of the accelerator pedal.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 AM

without it all it would do was crank... even now, after putting it back on, it tries to bog down in the lower rpms... that's the only thing I've done to it too, haven't touched the rest of the motor...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Removing?