280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
The Good Twin

oofa... Got Coolant?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 PM

lol I can honestly say it's not my fault. I got the car from my friends dad and he hadn't started it in years. So when I got it, I realized the head gasket was blown and preceded to take it apart lol. That brings me to now lmao. So from what I know, this car hasn't been ran it at least 10 years, if not more.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM

I know this post is old however if people came across this post like I did in need of knowledge it gave a suggestion. I didn't have many of these options(given the one that broke something) So what I did was tied a rope so the end would tighten with pressure around the pulley then pulled as hard as I could and tied it off. I was able to loosen it that way and couldn't have been more excited So my advice(cause this was a first for my car and done it before but never want to risk breaking something before I learn) Keep is from moving enough to break it loose use a breaker bar and don't use things that could(with an obvious eye) Break it. I hope it works out for you cause its very frustrating being hung up on a bolt, but well worth you time taking your time
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM

bigmann555, good advice. I had to take the bolt of again after putting it all back together and by doing it again I think I was able to figure out what happened. With the chain not on the cam, the slack caught on something and when the crankshaft turned over the force jarred the timing cover and snapped it. This time when I took it off, I left everything bolted down and it came off like a charm.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Resurrecting an old thread cause I have a similar problem.

tl;dr my timing is now ****ed up. HOWEVER, I have to reset my tensioner. It completely fell out, and now is resting somewhere, as for the spring, I can only hope its still in there somewhere.

The engine is on an engine stand. What can I do, without resorting to putting the engine in the car, and or an impact gun. I work at home depot, but we don't have any store use only guns, and ours are like...90 dollars, but then I'd have to get an air tank etc. etc.

So since I plan on putting the engine back in the car, should I just go ahead and do that?

Also, I'm probably going to need to completely redo my timing, and I am completely confounded as to how it works. Halp my Z ferrows.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM
The Good Twin

Rent/borrow/buy an impact gun....

Who works on cars w/o an impact gun these days?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Haterade by da gallon!

When I was changing my head gasket I had everything done and I was bolting down my fuel lines right in front of the timing chain opening on the head gasket. A 1/4'' washer fell out of my hand and went right down the cover....

I had NEVER been more pissed off in my life haha

Note to self. Leave the damn valve cover on whenever possible.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Rent/borrow/buy an impact gun....

Who works on cars w/o an impact gun these days?
Me....I got a nice long breaker bar. lol I still have the front end of my engine apart. The timing chain looks good though. Just need to put it back together. Too hot down here, I sweat within minutes of being outside.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Me....I got a nice long breaker bar. Just need to put it back together. Too hot down here, I sweat within minutes of being outside.
Lol yeah, I'm not rolling fast enough in the automobile world to have upgraded tools yet.

It finally dipped below the 90s for the first time in about two months or so.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Yeah, over a 100 degrees here. Been that way for a few weeks. Also don't have the money to get an air compressor. It is on my list, but other things are taking priority. I am going to try and get my Z running this weekend. I am sick of getting up early to take my wife to work. Then go back to sleep, and get up to go to work. It is a redundant cycle.

All aside, good luck to both of us.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Stuck a piece of wood between the crank and the inner case. Worked like a charm. Tensioner is a ******. Nissan's only "Oops" that I can really find...

Ordering new gaskets for the water pump and other things, new bushings, etc. etc.

Fun stuff, hopefully I can get most of the car together before it gets too damn hot outside again.