ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   Car sounds like its bubbling.. (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/car-sounds-like-its-bubbling-7314/)

Tuuurbo 10-08-2003 11:00 PM

Car sounds like its bubbling..

I just put on a ractive muffler and removed my cat and put in a straight pipe. Now when I drive or rev the car it makes like a bubbling sound. What could this be?

chef_tickwon 10-09-2003 12:49 PM

Bubbling? From where? Under the hood or out the exhaust? If out the exhaust it should be the sweet sound of a L28. I have the samething, but with the muffler you have it should be louder than mine. I have a straight and HKS sport exhaust. Enjoy the sound. :D

Chris

HybridZWannabE 10-09-2003 01:46 PM

its probably that fart can ractive ricer burner muffler, no offense but us "nissan guys" should hold a higher standard for performance than just honda ricers. Its probably just too big of a muffler with not enough back pressure. Does it sound like that in higher rpm's or just idleing
Chris

Tuuurbo 10-09-2003 04:05 PM

lol hybrid...Ya i know, i should feal ashamed for buying it...I wanted a muffler right away though, and it was the best deal i could find without ordering a muffler. And ya its coming out of the muffler.. Its only at lower rpm's though. It probably is that I dont have any back pressure. How can I solve this?

Skully 10-09-2003 04:18 PM

is it like raspy sound like
hmmmmmmmmmmmm-prmm-prmm-hmmmmmmmmmmormmmm
if it is then its just your straight pipe specialy if you dont have a cat on there the air is rushing out so fast so its hitting your muffler and coming out like that mine does the same thing and i have a borla muffler....im gonna try and fint a rounded tip so it smooths the air out

lifegrddude 10-10-2003 06:47 AM

If you're running a straight through muffler with a straight pipe, you'll get the bubbly exhaust note at idle. Almost all turbo'd I-6 Nissans make that noise, my friends R31 GTS-x and my cousin's R32 GTS-t make the exact same bubbly noise. My Z made that noise when I had the entire exhaust system disconnected after pulling my old turbo off. It's nothing bad. And trust me, you don't want backpressure for a turbo, it kills compressor efficiency, the less backpressure a turbo has, the more power you'll be making.
John 82ZXT

hellzbellz83t 10-10-2003 04:14 PM

Same muffler, same sound. It's a good thing! I like it. It scares most of the Honda guys away so I don't have to waste my time with them. :D I've gotten many props on the way it sounds, even from bowtie rednecks. :rolleyes:
-Kel

Tuuurbo 10-10-2003 05:39 PM

I heard theres a tube like thing you can put into the exhaust system that decreases the diameter of the piping. Therefore giving you more back pressure. Will this solve the noise problem?

AllmyZs 10-10-2003 06:12 PM

If you are running a turbo you do not want bak pressure. it wears on the turbo. Besides why spend the money on a 21/2 exhaust just to spend more money to make it smaller and less productive. If the noise bothers you that much change the muffler and tip. Use a flow master with a 4 inch tip and instead of going say 6 inches go 8. I have a 6 inch long tip on my 78 and I love the sound. It is throaty and sounds better the higher I rev it. It doesnt bubble or sound Ricey. So play with the tips and see what happens.

Tuuurbo 10-10-2003 07:17 PM

I bought the car with 2 1/2 in exhaust on it. And i dont really want to buy a new muffler, when I just bought a ractive one for 260 bucks canadian.

Skully 10-10-2003 07:35 PM

just leave it like that who cares as long as you dong get pulled over for noise violation
my borla cost like 240 too expencive to order :(

HybridZWannabE 10-10-2003 09:09 PM

well in ur case it looks like u got ****** dry....and now u should be beggin for the KY jelly....and askin other ppl for advice b4 u make a stupid a** mistake......this comes from a freind of hybridzwannabe that is a toyota guys so sry to flame on u but u did it to ur self

Skully 10-11-2003 12:55 PM

umm....o..k....are you talking to me? cuz i wanted it to be just as it is now...and i did ask for advice and you know not always you can get best advice by just writing your problem out sometimes people actualy have to see your car or what you have....and wer here to help each other not to pick on who did what and what mistakes they made....so ease up

hellzbellz83t 10-11-2003 02:51 PM

Well, you know this Hybridzwannabe guy is a real brainiac when in one post he talks about "us Nissan guys should hold a higher standard of performance" then in another post he is asking about a Chevy V8 swap into his 280zx. As far as I'm concerned, he has already discredited himself and anything else he has to say should just be ignored. He'll probably be banned after that last one anyway.

Anyway, Tuuurbo, listen to Lifgrddude and AllmyZs. They are right about the back pressure thing being bad for turbos. Opening up the exhaust system is the best thing you can do to unlock that unused horsepower. Turbo cars of any make are known for their lowend torque. That's why you have to wind them up to get to the power. As far as the Ractive muffler goes, I think you did pay too much for it, but I have one and I like the way it sounds. If someone doesn't like the way your car sounds let its performance speak for itself. Besides, it's your car, not theirs! That's my two cents worth...for free. :cool:

-Kel

Tuuurbo 10-11-2003 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I also payed more for that muffler because its like a special black chrome colour, apparently..You cant even tell when its under the car though so whatever... I did pay too much but you learn from your mistakes

HybridZWannabE 10-12-2003 08:32 PM

sorry dumb friend

sorry i left my computer and my buddy was in my dorm room and wrote some stupid shit i didn't mean to be a dick i was just kidding around in the first post.
Sorry
Chris

duckyz 10-16-2003 06:26 PM

I just make it easy on myself and got an 18" glass pack. Inexpensive, sounds good, and all you see from the rear is a peice of aluminized pipe.