280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borg Warner T5 experiences

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:30 PM

So would it be safe to say that a short shift kit made for a T-5 (Mustang / Camaro) would also work with the older Z's?

If that's the case, I'll opt for a short shif kit over the stock shifter. I saw one made for a Camaro that doesn't have that annoying bend in the shifter like most made for the Mustangs.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 PM

That bend is meant to bring the shifter closer to you. On some cars the shifter is placed further away from the driver then is comfortable for people under 6'6" . On other cars the shifter is right where you need it so the bend doesn't need to be there. It's basically up to your preference on whether to opt for one with a bend or not. If you've got to take your shoulders off the seat to shift into fifth (or even third) then the bend is a good idea .
Old 11-19-2005, 01:23 PM
The Evil Twin

Yes, those Mustang T5 short shifters work great on the ZX Turbo T5.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
My '82 makes a noise while in neutral, but as soon as I put the clutch in it goes away. Until I release the clutch and it comes back. I was thinking the throwout bearing, any thoughts?

^^ hes right if the noise goes away when clutch is pushed in its not the thorw out bearing its the input shaft bearing

now i have a question,lol. this t-5 is this the stock tranny in my car i have a 79 n/a 280zx or is this in the turbo's or is this an aftermarket install that requires a kit to convert. the reason i ask i because the T-5 is what is in most Foxbody mustangs79-93 i know they are in at least 85-92, mustangs that is,lol.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:00 AM

my 1982 280zx turbo 2+2 has the stock t-5 tranny mine runs like a champ now no problems what so ever i was thinking about and after market short throw shifter any body got any ebay links?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 AM

They don't make one for our cars but I just got a BM shifter for a 5.0 mustang and it bolted right up
Old 12-19-2005, 09:14 AM
The Evil Twin

ebay links? www.ebay.com - click on search... ???

The T5 is stock for only the factory equiped 280ZX turbo cars with a manual transmission. Automatic turbo cars of course had something different.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Are you sure cause I swear I used to have a T5 automatic back in the day ya know
Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Doesn't post much...

I'm just wondering after reading all the T5 horror stories here why it's supposed to be considered an "Upgrade" from the non T5???? Sounds like a POS if you ask me. My stock 5 speed has 250K on it... and a lot of flogging to be sure and it has no issues at all. So, what makes the T5 so cool? Is it supposed to handle more HP? Doesn't sound like it has a very good time handling the stock motor, let alone a highly modified one...

Rod.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 PM
The Evil Twin

I'm really hoping my transmission failure was a fluke. That's what I'm considering it to be. Just a faulty transmission; possibly the previous owner knew it was and that's why he sold it to me.

There's no way my easy driving for 5K miles with a stock non-turbo engine could have done anything to a T5 or Nissan 5-speed.

I absolutely love the percision and shifting feel of the T5 vs the Nissan unit. I will never go back to Nissan if at all possible.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 PM

what about the tremec 3650 will that bolt under our cars?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:53 PM

If you can get a bellhousing to match up. That's the only problem. Well then again, I take that back. The input shaft length and spline count would have to match up as well. And thats the hard part. Getting a bellhousing fabbed up, while not cheap, isn't going to be hard. Now, if you cant find an existing trans with the correct input shaft then getting that fabbed is going to be a little more difficult.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by loosenut
^^ hes right if the noise goes away when clutch is pushed in its not the thorw out bearing its the input shaft bearing

now i have a question,lol. this t-5 is this the stock tranny in my car i have a 79 n/a 280zx or is this in the turbo's or is this an aftermarket install that requires a kit to convert. the reason i ask i because the T-5 is what is in most Foxbody mustangs79-93 i know they are in at least 85-92, mustangs that is,lol.
How hard is it to replace the input shaft bearing? And where is it located? I appreciate some more info on this. And if it is okay for now, to drive him that way for a while. Until I get around to fixing it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
The Evil Twin

Loosenut:
I don't think you understand that just because this is a T5 gearbox does not mean its just a stock Mustang transmission. This T5 was modified from the factory to fit the L-series engine. So no you can't just bolt up any late model Mustang or Camaro 5 or 6 speed transmission.
You can use the T5 that is specifically installed in the 280ZX turbo from the factory. This is an older, weaker, simple T5. Basically a 1st generation model. That is all, unless you fabricate things yourself. If you can do custom work then you can make ANYTHING fit in the 280ZX.

One guy did use a stronger transmission, along with the 280ZX turbo T5 bellhousing, and after some custom work got it to fit his L-series. His car had $40,000 into it and a 450hp turbo L28 engine.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
How hard is it to replace the input shaft bearing? And where is it located? I appreciate some more info on this. And if it is okay for now, to drive him that way for a while. Until I get around to fixing it.
Pulling the tranny is the hardest part. From there the bearing/bushing is located in the end of the crank where the input shaft of the transmission inserts into it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
Loosenut:
I don't think you understand that just because this is a T5 gearbox does not mean its just a stock Mustang transmission. This T5 was modified from the factory to fit the L-series engine. So no you can't just bolt up any late model Mustang or Camaro 5 or 6 speed transmission.
You can use the T5 that is specifically installed in the 280ZX turbo from the factory. This is an older, weaker, simple T5. Basically a 1st generation model. That is all, unless you fabricate things yourself. If you can do custom work then you can make ANYTHING fit in the 280ZX.

One guy did use a stronger transmission, along with the 280ZX turbo T5 bellhousing, and after some custom work got it to fit his L-series. His car had $40,000 into it and a 450hp turbo L28 engine.

my bad,lol. i was about to get all kinds of happy. im in a mustang club here in Iowa. i was gonna beable to get all kinds of tranny's for my z. darn it,lol. oh well.

i also have an engine question would it be better to keep my L28E and beef that up for turbo application or just drop it and go with an RB26DET or something of that nature? one of the reasons i ask this is because i think the S-14 tranny(240sx) is stronger than ours. just wandering ideas nothing set in stone at the moment,untill the mustang is finished.

Last edited by loosenut; 12-21-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 PM

Do a little searchin on this forum. THeres a thread on T5's you can use. The late model V6 stangs had a T5 that someone mentioned was compatible (or atleast the internals were). Lww know more on this subject than I do, or you search out that thread.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:41 PM

The RB would give you a stronger engine, but maintanence cost on that thing will be a bitch. You could always go the V8 route. Like an LS1 with a T56 6 speed Sounded like a good idea to me Then you can ditch the mustang forums and go sign up for some LS1 forums instead
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 AM

i like my 281 4.6l. its a 2002 i got for 15k instead of a 2002 for 25+k(LS1). i dont wanna go the v8 route really id like to keep it at least all japanese,lol. to be honest id rather keep it all Datsun factory,just beefed up factory,lol. my freind in Hawaii bought a 200sx from me that had a SR20DET in it, engine was basically a bluebird engine, handeled 15 lbs boost,yes it was built up hence the bluebird, if i put 110 octane in it i could boost near 20 lbs, but 7 bucks a gallon in hawaii was a bit too high to do all the time,lol. so ran 93 w/15lbs boost or 1.0 bar(basically,lol) sold that car and bought the mustang,the nissan wouldnt pass inspection to get shipped oh well it was fun while i had it,13.3@113mph 1/4mi. 60 ft times sucked @$$ w/out slicks. he put slicks on it, raced it about 10 times and second gear jumped out of the tranny,lol. car was much faster than my mustang. so i want my Z to be near that if not much faster than that. its funny you mention to ditch the mustang, the 200sx had a MAF from a 98 cobra in it. Jim Wolfe in California is the master at setting Nissan PCM's up but he gets paid up front and his turn around isnt the fastest but if you want a killer tune he is the man for Nissan/Datsun.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
The Evil Twin

The L28 turbo will be a good engine then if you want a 'stock' beefed up Nissan engine. It'll be cheaper, less mods needed and can handle 15psi easy. Even more if you upgrade the turbo.
You can probably run 18psi or so on premium pump gas. Depending on many other factors, you might have anywhere from 260-300hp in that turbo engine.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Ah, don't ditch the mustang. Just the forums
Old 12-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Ah, don't ditch the mustang. Just the forums
lol, i cant because that is the Mustang car club im in too,lol.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by loosenut
what about the tremec 3650 will that bolt under our cars?
Go to this site and scroll about half-way down. It's how Jeff Priddy installed a Tremec TKO2 into his 280ZX turbo.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page24.html
Old 01-17-2006, 04:55 PM

Quick question cause I'm too lazy to search right now and I've answered plenty of lazy questions : Is the T5 physically longer than the standard 5 speed? Just trying to determine if I'll need to source another driveshaft or if I can just have mine shortened and modified
Old 01-17-2006, 05:45 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Quick question cause I'm too lazy to search right now and I've answered plenty of lazy questions : Is the T5 physically longer than the standard 5 speed? Just trying to determine if I'll need to source another driveshaft or if I can just have mine shortened and modified

Same size... diff output splines.

Quick Reply: Borg Warner T5 experiences