280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleach!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:54 PM

Bleach!!! Help!!!

It happened again..... The belching and the stall. I wish I could post a video so you could see what's up.

Long story short.........I pulled the spark plugs and they looked like they were covered in oil and gas. reset the ECU (battery style)...no worky...didn't start.

The motor acts like its starving for gas when trying to start, but the plugs say different.

(sigh)
Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 PM

ok...anyone would be nice!
Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 AM

Make sure everything that leads up to the TB is connected properly. If air is coming into the system after the AFM then it will have those symptoms.

Also, mine had similar problems when I have the vacuum line connected improperly. Check those too.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:38 AM
The Evil Twin

What have you done to it recently? Anything?
There are so many possibilities. Check the head temp and block temp sensors to be sure they have good contact. Open up and clean the throttle position switch.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Externally Wastegated

Is there spark coming from the coil? Check that first. How is the fuel filter? If you have a fuel pressure gauge you can check to see if fuel pressure is dropping too. Otherwise I think you might have a dirty connector somewhere or maybe a bad ground wire.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM

If the the arm in the afm is sticking won't that tell the ecu to push alot of fuel into the system flooding the pistons out when the motor is turning over ...also why is there oil on your spark plugs when you pull them, are your rings going out ?and could this be a cold starting problem? when i start my car it seems to over fuel a little intell she warms up.. i have been trying to fig this out but i have had no luck .mabe its a ecu problem its reading everything but not sending it out right. if you realy want to see if you have spark ...... pull #1 plug and plug it into #1 wire with out putting it into the block ..pin it on to the val cover makeing sure you have good contact .. now go start your car and watch that plug if it sparks, well you know ..

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 06-10-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Im guessing the oil might be a leak from the valve cover that leaked onto the head and into the spark plug holes. I've seen it happen before and its a very easy fix.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew888
Im guessing the oil might be a leak from the valve cover that leaked onto the head and into the spark plug holes. I've seen it happen before and its a very easy fix.

i seen this happen on my car but it didnt get in side.. i cleaned that up right after i got her...
Old 06-12-2005, 06:31 PM

It's probably not oil on the plugs, just gas mixed with leftovers in the cylinder that give it a dark appearance. As far as the plugs being wet, if your plugs ain't firing, they're not going to burn the fuel and it's just going to wet the plugs and then they won't fire. Dry those plugs off. Check the air gap in your distributor to make sure it's right, otherwise your not firing on some cylinders and really weak on some. Check your spark while you crank the engine. Make sure all your ignition components are in good shape. The fact that you plugs are wet fouling makes this sound like it's not a fuel problem at all. Air entering after the AFM would cause a lean condition(more air in then the fuel is calib. for), which wouldn't wet the plugs, but rather cause detonation if anything. Make sure your timing is on and your plugs are in proper order.

Other than that, good luck.

Oh and the fuel system is supposed to run rich when its cold to compensate for colder, denser air. That's what the cold start valve does.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:57 PM

So far here's what I did.

Pulled the plugs, cleaned them off let them out of the block overnight to dry up any remaining gas that may be flooding the cylinders. Next, I pulled off the AFM and looked at the boot with a flashlight to try to find any cracks...nothing.

Next morning, replaced the plugs and fired it up. Bitch, moan, sputter.....took the RPM's up to 3K with the sputter to see if it would even out. After about a minute of that, the motor shook pretty violently, blew out a god awful belch of carbon and idled nicely. I took it for a nice 20 mile run at about 85mph for most of it. It ran pretty nice, strong even.

Yesterday, I tried to fire it up just to see if it was in a good mood or not, and the battery seems weak. Got a little sputter again but it evened out before the temp gauge read anything.

I'm at work right now and haven't had a chance to try again. I'll give another shot this evening.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:08 PM

Sounds like you had some excess fuel to clear out when you fired it up. You may have lucked out. Check and make sure all you plugs are firing strong. And I would get your battery tested. After a 20 mile jog, it should've been at full charge. Let us know if she clears up or is still having problems.
Good luck! And congratulations on getting her back on the road.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:15 PM

Well, I'm running Bosch Platinums (I know...I know....I kinda did it on purpose, kinda not.) 'cause that's all the store had at the time....or so they say. As soon as I get some cash the NGK's are going back in.

I'm missing the Denver meet partly 'cause of this...not too happy.