280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN: Mesa/East Valley Z owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:17 PM

ATTN: Mesa/East Valley Z owners

I need to drain and refill the rear end/tranny fluids on my 80' ZX, I don't have a jack or jackstands, or anything like that. But I do have all the tools necessary to do the job. I've tried and tried and tried to get the fill plug on the rear end to budge, but it just wont. It has the type where I can only use the end of my 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. But I can't get the proper leverage,even though I have used a half a can of WD-40 or so to try and clean and get the plug loose. Would anyone in the surrounding areas be willing to let me come over and we could work on it together? I live in Apache Junction, I'm willing to drive as far as Mesa/Gilbert. I just wanna get my fluids done without paying a shop. I know alot of people on here are DIY kinda guys, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get this done. Oh and BTW, what is the easiest way to tell what type of rear end I have?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Big Poppa

you can always go to a quicky lube as well, they offer services at reasonable prices. it may require a impact gun by the sounds of it. it should never be that tight, but who knows who put it back in. as far as the rear diff kind goes. if it has a flange on it for the half shafts, then its r200, if it doesnt, it has r180. there are 2 members kinda close (dont know how far) wildman, and carlz. pm them and see if they can help.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I about 6 miles west of Apache Junction. Problem is I have no place for you to jack your car up. I already have 3 Z cars, my Firebird, and my dad's T/A over here. My '83 is occupying my concrete space, and the motor is shot. As for Carl, I know he doesn't have any space where he is at either. The only other Z people I know here in the valley are in Phoenix. S/C, DGriffin, and I think a couple others.

But yeah it shouldn't cost you much to take it in to a lube shop. Jiffy lube offered to do my tranny, and differential before. I believe, it was $30 or so apiece. It was a while ago, sorry I couldn't help you man. Good luck to you though.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Thank you for the reply's, however, I refuse to go to Jiffy Lube, or any quickie lube place for that matter. I'd rather not face mistakes at the hands of inexperienced "lube techs". And I'm buying specific fluids for my tranny and diff (Amsoil Severe Gear and their Manual Trans Lube). I know a pretty good shop close by, so I believe I'll get a price quote on the job or just wait until I can bring it into my schools shop. I'm just in a kind of hurry because my tranny doesnt like to go into 1st and 2nd smoothly, on cold mornings it won't go in unless you put your weight into it regardless of how the clutch is played with. I really want to spare my tranny, a rebuild isn't cheap. My vehicle has almost 250,000 miles, and I'm willing to bet that the rear end and tranny have NEVER been serviced. I am an automotive student, and do go to an automotive school. However days I can bring my vehicle in are few and far between, longer than I wish to wait for this to get done.

BTW, I had a reason to cry recently, I paid 2400 bucks for my Z, thought it was a good deal, than I met a kid at my school that has a 1982 ZX Turbo, with 100,000 less miles, and almost flawless paint and interior. All it needs is a new turbo, as the current one is leaking, causing it to burn oil. He paid 1200 bucks for his....
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Im in the valley w/ jack stands and a jack, Id be happy to help ya out but Im currently in the process and moving and Im all the way in North Phoenix, a lil farther than you prolly want to drive huh.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Yeah north Phoenix is quite far. I might consider it however. I just got a quote from a good local shop, 106 bucks labor, no fluids included, as I have my own. Any idea if I should go for it at that price?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z_six
Yeah north Phoenix is quite far. I might consider it however. I just got a quote from a good local shop, 106 bucks labor, no fluids included, as I have my own. Any idea if I should go for it at that price?
The price doesnt sound too bad (for a shop at least) but Id just try to find someone willing to help. You dont exactly need someone who knows 280's tho to help you out if your just changing fluids. I mean itd be nice but basically anyone with free time and has a jack/jackstand is really all you need.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Bleach is my Hero

I would definetly help if I had the time.. I could do (and have done it) in less than 15 minutes.. All you need is some (I used 95-105w) gear oil from autozone for like 10.00 and a lil pump for 2.99 and your good to go.. oh and a jack..
Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 PM

Yeah I have my fluids picked out, as well as a pump, I just need the car in the air.