280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any suggestions on how to make more hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:38 AM

any suggestions on how to make more hp

*I need help because my 79' 280zx is all stock, except for a cold air intake. But i wanted to kno if ther are any other things or little changes i can do to my engine to get more power . right now i run a 17.5 on the 1/4 mile but my goal is in the low14's
Old 10-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

low 14's!!! well i dont think little mods are gonna get you to that goal... other then going turbo.. id say get head work done.. port and polish a performance cam.. bigget throttle body.. headders/ exhaust.. fuel management...
Old 10-29-2004, 01:02 PM
The Evil Twin

If you pull that engine out of the car and do some heavy modifications including a full rebuild, you can easily get into the HIGH 14's but probably no better without going turbo or stripping everything off the car to lower the weight by 300lbs or more.

Little things here and there are going to get you 1-2hp each. Not 5-15hp each like the manufacurers claim.

Also, 17.5 is slower than stock. I think for starters you should make sure you're running a 5-speed and not an automatic. Make sure your tires are proper size and proper pressure then get the engine tuned up and running as good as new. That should knock another second off your time. You should be in the mid 16's right now.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Hmmm ... low 14s on a non-turbo? If I were to suggest something in my infinite teenage wisdom, I'd give you one word - nitrous.
The adult in me would add a few more - the subsequent tuning involved with nitrous.
That could get expensive.
Perhaps a turbo swap is your best bet. That's my plan.
I'm taking a different turbo route however - I plan on running a rebuilt stock turbo setup with my non-turbo engine. So I'll have decent off-boost response, but when the turbo spools up, hold on! I plan on running around 10 pounds, and seeing that SinCityZ is running 12-15 through his engine with a stock turbo, I have much to expect, and tune for.
Seeing as how I have different goals than you do (I'll be drifting my Z, sounds like you'll be dragging yours), I would tune for a power balance in all rev ranges - you might want something higher in the revs or that runs more boost. The possibilities are endless, but if you're going to stick with a non-turbo for now, I'd go with what IceIce suggested - the basics, like port & polish, a mild cam, a rebuild to factory specs can't hurt either. Bleach is probably suggesting more along the lines of a performance buildup (3100cc stroker, major head work, a cam that wont let you idle under 2000 rpm, that kind of thing, right Bleach?). That's all fine too, but expect to give up your prettiest pennies for those mods. I'd listen to Bleach and the top guys here, they know these engines like the backs of thier hands ...
Sounds like you've got quite a buildup to do - best of luck on that! Hope this helps,
-Dave-O
Old 10-29-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Hmmm ... low 14s on a non-turbo? If I were to suggest something in my infinite teenage wisdom, I'd give you one word - nitrous.
The adult in me would add a few more - the subsequent tuning involved with nitrous.
That could get expensive.
Perhaps a turbo swap is your best bet. That's my plan.
I'm taking a different turbo route however - I plan on running a rebuilt stock turbo setup with my non-turbo engine. So I'll have decent off-boost response, but when the turbo spools up, hold on! I plan on running around 10 pounds, and seeing that SinCityZ is running 12-15 through his engine with a stock turbo, I have much to expect, and tune for.
Seeing as how I have different goals than you do (I'll be drifting my Z, sounds like you'll be dragging yours), I would tune for a power balance in all rev ranges - you might want something higher in the revs or that runs more boost. The possibilities are endless, but if you're going to stick with a non-turbo for now, I'd go with what IceIce suggested - the basics, like port & polish, a mild cam, a rebuild to factory specs can't hurt either. Bleach is probably suggesting more along the lines of a performance buildup (3100cc stroker, major head work, a cam that wont let you idle under 2000 rpm, that kind of thing, right Bleach?). That's all fine too, but expect to give up your prettiest pennies for those mods. I'd listen to Bleach and the top guys here, they know these engines like the backs of thier hands ...
Sounds like you've got quite a buildup to do - best of luck on that! Hope this helps,
-Dave-O

Hey dorifto.. thanks man, i have a 280zx turbo engine on the side but its a blown engine but the computer,turbo are still good ,i just rebuilt my non-turbo engine and i wuz thinking the same...putting the turbo, exaust manifold, waistgate, etc. on to the non-turbo and run low boost like 7-10lbs. But yea i jus need help of what i need to do so the non-turbo engine will run smoothly with the turbo on it ..anyway thanx for the suggestions
Old 10-30-2004, 02:27 AM

OH NO, NOT THE NON TURBO WITH A TURBO, if you go that route be careful, I did it and my car has never been the same. If you do decide to do it though be careful, and take your time. I just put a T3/4,on and ran the tubes up to my intake, no blow off valve, wastegate not hooked up, not even a boost gauge.I got about 15 feet out the drive way, and that's as far as I got. But I gotta say, she pulled harder than any other car I have ever been in. Too bad it only cost me my motor.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Las VegaZ
OH NO, NOT THE NON TURBO WITH A TURBO, if you go that route be careful, I did it and my car has never been the same. If you do decide to do it though be careful, and take your time. I just put a T3/4,on and ran the tubes up to my intake, no blow off valve, wastegate not hooked up, not even a boost gauge.I got about 15 feet out the drive way, and that's as far as I got. But I gotta say, she pulled harder than any other car I have ever been in. Too bad it only cost me my motor.

HEy man thanx for the info but y didnt you use a blow off valve , that keeps the boost in you engine the after you let off the gas it creats a vacuum , and also the higher commpression on the non-turbo engine is probly y the engine blew so ez with the turbo.. but anyway thanxs man
Old 03-16-2005, 02:30 PM

I know a few little electrical tricks that seem to help. Putting a 13 ohm resistor in the wire to your engines temp sensor gives the engine more fuel at higher revs. Not the sensor that feeds your guage the one to the ECU. And bending the secondary contact point in the throttle to contact at more open throttle also helps with high RPM power. Not much but you can feel it.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 AM

Change your fuel filter, that will help a little if you still have the original. If your trying to build a drag car then you can get rid of your A/C and power steering, also replace that big *** fan with an electric one, free up some HP. Not 3 seconds worth tho......

Last edited by PBGreg21; 03-17-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Bleach is my Hero

On my old N/A 82 I ran a 15.731 All stock except the MSA intake and a electric fan.. I have also removed the phone system, Back sound deading mat, A/C, Motorized Antenna, and bypassed the heater but that only equaled 158lbs.. I also run 91 octane but I doubt that makes too much of a diffence..Do you have a 2+2??
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 PM

the intake is a start to opening up your engine but you must get an exhaust to complete the flow cuz you cant push more in than you can push out. and yes turbo is your best option to boost your power. make sure you get stronger springs, valves, boost controller, boost gauge, and high octain fule. but other than turbo a cam, or stroker kit would be your best hope.

I didnt think that the z ran that high of time on the 1/4! I see hondas do 14's all the time but I can still kill any honda on the street, and i am 98% bone stock.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM

Here's the killer. These cars weren't designed to go fast in a straight line (ie: drag). They were meant to go fast through curves. I get killed all the time by "ricers" in a straight line but if the road gets twisty.....thanks for playing, buh-bye. The ironic part is that my suspension needs replaced. With a good suspension, I could put more HP to the ground instead using it to "squat" my car at launch.

So---Basicly what you want to do is re-design your car to go fast in a straight line, right? Yeah, you could use NAWWWSSssss, you could go turbo and/or both. It's up to you, what your budget can handle, and weather you're doing the work yourself or paying to get it done.....don't forget a good quality body kit! Once you get past 130mph, the front end will want to lift off the ground.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 AM

Does anyone here have a L28 with nitrous? I have never seen it on an L28 and it would be interesting to see what people think about it. I would never put it on my car but I would like to see it on someone elses.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 AM
The Evil Twin

I have yet to see "hondas runing 14's all the time". They WISH they could run 14's Do you relalize that the 350Z runs a low 14 stock? A modified Honda (even some turbo) are not nearly as fast as even a stock 350Z. Its a myth that they run that fast. That's why you beat them. Really they are 16.9 second cars with a few bolt-ons.

On occasion you find the turbo Ricer with a $10,000 engine. ya, so what he can run a 13.6 If you put $5000 into your engine you could run a 12.6
Old 03-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Yeah I agree with Bleach I dusted a 94 civic hat with a H22 and pushin 10 psi in the quarter, most hondas run, at best, a mid to high 16, {excluding the SI 15.59 and the V6 accord 14.45} The honda scene is real big in AZ I hate it...I love passing them side ways spinning the rear wheels though
Old 03-18-2005, 12:20 PM
The Evil Twin

HAHA, the big Accord V6 is just about as fast as their little S2000 sports car. Shoulda' done a V6 in the S2000. make it an S3000.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew888
Does anyone here have a L28 with nitrous? I have never seen it on an L28 and it would be interesting to see what people think about it. I would never put it on my car but I would like to see it on someone elses.
I do have a nitrous kit, but I don't know when I'll ever get around to installing it, or if I'll just put it off till I do an engine swap.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Externally Wastegated

Out here in So Cal where everyone and their mom drives a Honda, there are some quick ones to watch out for. Specifically the motor swapped hatchbacks since they weigh next to nothing and their cd is low as well. (if a hatchback has a K20a, you can forget trying to race one unless you hit mid 13's or lower) From the factory, the RSX-S are pretty quick, I have a tough time holding my friend's car off from a roll. From a dig it's not as bad. The top end on those cars are good, it's the low end that sucks. Right now I trap at about 98mph in the 1/4 and hit 14.4's consistently. The RSX (with intake only) traps at about 95.5mph but the et's are 14.9-15.1. Still hate it when I lose to an H badge, but what can I say, you win some and lose some.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:53 AM

I raced a 2003 or 2004 Civic SI with my 300zx non turbo and he beat me off the line but as soon as we hit any sort of corners I blew by him. I love thatr I paid 1300 for that car and can beat 25000 cars with it.