280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 PM

Air Conditioning removal

So I decided that I won't use the air conditioning ever, because I pretty much leave the T-tops off permanently, so I set to work removing the air con components!

Pretty simple removal really (for anyone attempting it), the compressor just fell out the bottom after doing one of those spatial puzzle moves with it past the sway bar, even with two hoses still attached. Had to loosen the rad to get the line from above the rad out, and loosed the front pusher fan to get out the radiator (whatever it is called in AC speak).

Found actual chunks of asphalt shingles between the two rads (bizarre) amongst other piles of crap and crud. Couple of questions for the pros:

1. Anything non-obvious that I should button up after removal of that stuff (wires and such)?
2. Does the pusher fan at the front only work when the AC is on, or is it just heat activated? Is it worth keeping?
3. How hard is it to get the condenser from the cab out? Is it worth getting it out or just leave it in?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 AM

Remove the dash and you will see everything exposed and then you can decide what to do!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 AM

That sounds a bit ominous!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

you don't need the front Electric fan in BC. how do you not need T tops. is there a dry place in BC that stays above freezing? easiest way to do what you did it take off the front bumper cover. bunch of little bolts. trouble is two hidden bolts in the wheel well under the fiber cover.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:37 PM

I'm in Kelowna, and I won't drive it in the slushy gross snow we get here, it would be suicide! Also not in the rain because I have a bunch of rust repairs to make yet, so my feet would likely get wet!
I am trying to shake out all the mechanical problems before I waste a couple years on body work... Although the car came with two decent front fenders, which I am getting prepped for paint soon. Painting the emblems with the gold over the black was a bit of a learning curve...
Old 10-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by farqyj
So I decided that I won't use the air conditioning ever, because I pretty much leave the T-tops off permanently, so I set to work removing the air con components!

Pretty simple removal really (for anyone attempting it), the compressor just fell out the bottom after doing one of those spatial puzzle moves with it past the sway bar, even with two hoses still attached. Had to loosen the rad to get the line from above the rad out, and loosed the front pusher fan to get out the radiator (whatever it is called in AC speak).

Found actual chunks of asphalt shingles between the two rads (bizarre) amongst other piles of crap and crud. Couple of questions for the pros:

1. Anything non-obvious that I should button up after removal of that stuff (wires and such)?
2. Does the pusher fan at the front only work when the AC is on, or is it just heat activated? Is it worth keeping?
3. How hard is it to get the condenser from the cab out? Is it worth getting it out or just leave it in?
you just have to install a proper one mate, and get consulted aswell inbefore that. I mean, dont copy my mistake that I did. Bought myself recently a GTR and was usually driving in hot times, clean sun etc. And one day I noticed something with my aircon but didn't pay so much attention to it, comes out it was just a warning.. later when I was on my trip to Frankfurt it broke in middle of the road and I couldn't get in touch with anyone but guys from www.socool.sg that didn't hesitate to come and save me lol.

Last edited by kingsizexx; 10-25-2020 at 07:00 AM.