280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed Trans in a ZX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Under My Car... brb

6 Speed Trans in a ZX

Did a search through the posts and found no info, so forgive me if this is a repost of a question already asked and answered.

Has anyone done a 6-speed trans swap in their ZX? Is there a benefit to the extra gear? How difficult is it/would it be.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:29 PM
The Good Twin

Yes... this is a re-re-repost, but thas ok.

Any mod is possible these days, but practical is a diff story. Do you know what most 6-speed tranny's look like? Compare it to what a 5-speed Z trans looks like & u have your answer, It's a lot bigger (longer, wider, and different bell housing). You would have to do some major designing of tranny mounts, driveline, & gear ratios). The gear ratios are very different in a 6-speed, because they are not designed for the Z engine. It would be cool to do, and somewhat more simple if you did a chevy 350 swap.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 PM

Now what'd be cool is having one of those sequintial 6spd gearboxes like those you see in the JGTC (or Super GT as its now called for those who follow it) cars. Something like $10k for one of them bad boys though plus you gotta fab a bell housing, mounts, and driveshaft. But you can get practically any gears your heart desires.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Under My Car... brb

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just have to slow down on the expressway to save gas.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by CWHammer
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just have to slow down on the expressway to save gas.
yeah i'll do that to... but while i'am at it i'll but one of those 6spds on layaway
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Under My Car... brb

Good idea, in 10 or 12 years can get it out. LOL...
Old 08-22-2005, 05:30 PM

SO... at least ill have one
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Under My Car... brb

I have to put my gas for the week on layaway!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM

I feel that
Old 08-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Z8 driver

haha isn't this rediculous??? There has to be an alternative. Someone should try pissing in their gas tank, and tell us what happens
Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 PM

Take about 50 ethynol shots and then **** in a gas can, not directly into the tank (too much back spray, what a mess). The Octane level of said urine may be too HIGH for some engines to burn but on the monster you got in your sig DynamiJ it shouldn't be a problem.

Note: While taking said amount of shots will end up costing more than a tank of gas (Oh and probably KILL YOU) it is much more fun than just filling your car up with gas
Old 08-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Under My Car... brb

I need a beater Z to convert to electric. With the light weight and the technology available I bet it would pay for itself in less than a year.

Someone should **** on the oil companies and their greedy leaders.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 PM

Someone should **** on Bush's bush so he'll stop pissing off the greedy leaders of the oil companies. Maybe he should man up and drill AK so we can have our own damn oil. He's got the ***** to bomb other countries as long as someone else does the dirty work but he doesn't have the ***** to offend a few tree huggers and help us out some instead of a third world country that he only THINKS hes helping. But I'm gonna stop now before I **** of too many proBush advocates
Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I need a beater Z to convert to electric. With the light weight and the technology available I bet it would pay for itself in less than a year.
Don't hold your breath. Even though the early Z's are pretty light, the cost of modern 'electric vehicle' technology would make you crap your pants.

There's a guy on my street converting an early 70's MG Midget (about half the weight of a 240z) to electric with 90's generation technology and I think he's about $10k into it and it's not done yet...

The current crop of 'New' gas/electric hybrids are only selling because the auto companies are selling them at cost or at a loss for government tax incentives and they're buying the components in bulk. You think you're going to get them cheaper?

There are guys on the Prius/Insight boards that have tweaked their ECU's and added more batteries to their cars in order to get over 150 mpg! Too bad all those cars but the Civic are ugly as hell.

The best thing to do would be to convert a fuel injected car to CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). You'll loose your trunk for the CNG tank, but you would have lost it anyway with a dozen or more batteries.

Of course, you'll also have to install a NG compressor and holding tank at your house to fill up from.

Since CNG has about 50% less BTU's per equivalent volume of gasoline, you'll need injectors that will flow at least 50% more than what they required for gas.

The other alternative is to convert to diesel. If I can find an 80's Diesel Maxima with the L6, I might actually consider that for my '72 rolling chassis. Slap a turbo and intercooler on there and I'd bet that baby would freakin' kick ***!

Anyway, the faster we start developing our own resources, the better off we'll be. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we got completely away from Middle East oil.

Last edited by lww; 08-25-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Doesn't post much...

When gas was cheap, it was really nice having a 22 gallon gas tank. Kinda sucks now.

Rod.

P.S. Hey IWW, I really like your "Hybrid Z" on the right side of your Sig
Old 08-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

lww, what is that yucket doing on your sig. ths is ZDRIVER.com . . . .not MyRicerPOS.com. terrible. simply terrible.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:10 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by apollo
lww, what is that yucket doing on your sig. ths is ZDRIVER.com . . . .not MyRicerPOS.com. terrible. simply terrible.
That was just for you baby!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by lww
The other alternative is to convert to diesel. If I can find an 80's Diesel Maxima with the L6, I might actually consider that for my '72 rolling chassis. Slap a turbo and intercooler on there and I'd bet that baby would freakin' kick ***!
Then take the diesel motor and convert it to run off of used vegetable oil I put a smiley face but I ain't joking. People actually buy these kits and then work out deals with places that utilized deep fryers to buy there used oil from them to run their cars off of. They get decent power (enough to get you around) and killer gas mileage all while their cars fart roses Now isn't that sweet.

So lww, hows that for using our own resources. Thats an oil that produced here in the good ole U-S of A
Old 08-26-2005, 08:30 PM

Oh and how hard was it to convert that Z to front wheel drive? And I need the number of the body guy who got it to look like a Honda too. You totally can't tell thats not a Honda!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Under My Car... brb

I saw an article on a guy that took an old Honda Civic, late 70's early 80's, and converted to electric for $3k. It gets a 100 miles on a charge and tops out at 35mph. That would be the ****. Driving by the pumps and laughing at all of the over-priced gas guzzling SUV's sucking all of the money out of their owner's pockets. (sinister laugh)
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 PM

He must be running the same electric motor as my 350Z.

Oh and just so there's no confusion, that's my Radio Controlled 350Z. I don't think mine will run for quite that long but I'm pretty sure it does 35 mph!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Then take the diesel motor and convert it to run off of used vegetable oil
Actually, you don't need to do anything to convert a diesel to use bio-diesel, just need to add a heater to the storage tank to keep it from jelling up in cold weather.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

wow . . you mean if i go and dump some used veggie oil in an old diesel i would have one more vehicle that could eat your honda for lunch?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:03 PM

No no apollo. They feed off of CORN oil. Not RICE