ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   280zx na->turbo (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/280zx-na-turbo-8624/)

kw_killer 03-01-2004 10:22 AM

280zx na->turbo

I accidentally posted this in the 300zx forum yesterday, was in a rush and didn't notice the separation by generations, anyways, I hope you guys can help out, I just got a quick question. Can anybody tell me what sort of internal changes are needed to the engine when turbocharging the NA version of the 280zx? This is for a low boost, probably no higher than 5 psi. What I am refering to for internals is the valves, cam and such. The turbo engine is extremely hard to come by up here in my part of canada, which is why I want to put a turbo on mine.

lifegrddude 03-01-2004 07:33 PM

You will need the turbo, exhaust manifold, oil return line, oil supply line, injectors, fuel pump, and some other stuff that I'm sure someone else will know. You can run a turbo on your n/a but you won't be able to crank the boost as high. 5 psi will be fine, heck even Honda EX Civics can take 6 psi of boost without problems, just be sure your motor is healthy before you slap the snail on though. :D
John 82ZXT

Fredrik 03-01-2004 09:58 PM

At 5psi you dont need new injectors or fuel pump. If you want to run a little higer boost you can use a progressive FPR and the injectors will be good for a bit more than 200 hp.

lifegrddude 03-02-2004 11:14 AM

Really? You don't need to upgrade the n/a injectors? Wow, I figured they'd be maxed out or running near peak duty cycle. Well, I guess that's another item where you can save money then! :D
John 82ZXT

kw_killer 03-02-2004 11:17 AM

:D Cool, thanks for the info all, it is a real junkyard dog so I am pretty sure the engine isn't in good shape, I am just experimenting with the engine until I decide to rebuild it. But yeah, low boost, just to up that hp a bit more.

Fredrik 03-03-2004 01:27 AM

Running at 3.0 bar fuel pressure the stock 217cc injectors should be good for at least 200 crank hp, probably closer to 220chp. If you use a progressive FPR and increase the fuel pressure during boost they can deliver even more fuel when needed. I cant remember how much the fuel pump is good is good for, but it will be good for at least 250chp. Letīs say that you will need 0,5l/hp/hour. The pump flows around 125l/hour (please correct me if iīm wrong) 05l*250hp= 125 l/hour

If you just want to enrich the mixture a liitle you can do it on the AFM. What you want to do it is to take off the black cover, and inside there are two screws, you want to loosen the one that holds a geared wheel on a spring. You want to loosen the spring to enrichen. Remember the initial position and do not let the spring unwind.

Edit: I just found out that itīs called rising rate FPR, sorry :o

kw_killer 03-03-2004 10:57 AM

fuel pump? no prob.

Ha ha, the fuel pump wont be a problem, Mine doesn't work so I will just replace it with a better one. I think my injectors are gone too, the fuel that was in the car was pretty stale. It hadn't moved in a couple of years. I might just end up upgrading the whole fuel system since I have all the bodywork to do, from that angle, it doesn't look to bad, but the rear fenders and rear part of the rocker panels are gone. The part around the antenna is pretty ratched too.

Clapton9286 03-11-2004 06:08 AM

Get one of those rising rate fuel regulators, from what I've heard, they are awesome. (Of course, i've only heard one review..lol)