ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   1981 Datsun 280zx HELP PLEASE!!!!!!! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/1981-datsun-280zx-help-please-37808/)

280zxINLINE 05-23-2013 01:07 PM

1981 Datsun 280zx HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

hi, so my dad recently left me his Z for my 21st birthday. I love the car and want to get it running right! Ill list a few issues i have at the moment and would like any feedback please!

*starts hard, takes a couple tries really cranking on the start ignition, pumping the gas a little helps. it is always garaged in the winter with(no fuel stabilizer)

*smokes a little from time to time.. not black

*has a very small exhaust leak somewhere up front.. (not loud)

*boggs out from 1000 rpms until 2000 in every gear.. the car sort of shakes when it is just idling. after 2000 rpms it doesnt seem to have much lag.

please help with any of these problems.. may think of more to put up shortly

NismoPick 05-23-2013 01:36 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

Originally Posted by 280zxINLINE (Post 325081)
*starts hard, takes a couple tries really cranking on the start ignition, pumping the gas a little helps. it is always garaged in the winter with(no fuel stabilizer)

Does it have fresh fuel? Old fuel? How old?
Assuming your car is a non-turbo, check the cold start valve and air regulator.

*smokes a little from time to time.. not black

White? Blue?

*has a very small exhaust leak somewhere up front.. (not loud)

Put the car in the air and look. :D

*boggs out from 1000 rpms until 2000 in every gear.. the car sort of shakes when it is just idling. after 2000 rpms it doesnt seem to have much lag.

Check AFM, CHTS, and timing.

Download the FSM from XenonS130 - S130 Reference

mixon123 05-26-2013 11:06 PM

******* Quote" has a very small exhaust leak somewhere up front.. (not loud)"******

*Quote" boggs out from 1000 rpms until 2000 in every gear.. the car sort of shakes when it is just idling. after 2000 rpms it doesnt seem to have much lag

That sounds like your intake/exhaust maniflod gasket!!! And I could be wrong but woow...............all the symptoms are there from extra air entering in the end of the intake manifold.

Its cheap and you get a chance to dive in her....learn a thing or two

Just remember I am black/white (confused) and should not to be trusted :036:

VicS130 06-08-2013 09:23 AM

******* Quote"That sounds like your intake/exhaust maniflod gasket!!! And I could be wrong but woow...............all the symptoms are there from extra air entering in the end of the intake manifold." ******

I agree,

An easy way to check if the intake is sucking in extra air is to spray carb cleaner or electic cleaner around the intake manifold while the engine is at idle.
If there is a leak, the RPM's wil rise and almost even out when the carb cleaner "gas" gets sucked in through the hole.

7d82adz 06-15-2013 09:38 PM

these are just my personal guesses but i hope it helps

id personally check out the fuel pressure and fuel quality.. todays fuel with the e-10 is awful after long periods of time being stored away.

maybe want to change the fuel filter too.

Tommy Egloff 12-29-2018 12:22 PM

Question

I was wonder if you could tell me what bumpers you but in the front of the Z, I not a big fan of the bulky bumpers and that looks good