ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/)
-   -   1979 s130 cylinder head help (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/1979-s130-cylinder-head-help-32739/)

Tsuka89 05-30-2011 05:28 PM

1979 s130 cylinder head help

I have a rusting coolant line fitting on the top of my intake manifold (sits under the mass of wires and other garbage, so I was just wondering should I be concerned about rusting in the head coolant tunnels or are all the heads aluminum?
thanks

NismoPick 05-30-2011 06:12 PM

Cylinder head is aluminum... block is cast iron...

Visible outside corrosion is either from the engine bay being wet, or a leaky coolant connection. :D

Tsuka89 05-30-2011 07:01 PM

I just replaced the radiator because the core was rusted so thats probably where it came from

mrprofile 05-31-2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tsuka89 (Post 296118)
I just replaced the radiator because the core was rusted so thats probably where it came from

correct me if i am wrong here, but radiators don't "rust" to the point at which they leave rust flakes, there made of copper or aluminum which only oxidizes. There alloys chosen specifically because they don't do what your describing. I think the rust is coming from somewhere else, and the pump is just moving the rust through the rad. you might be wasting your money on a new rad.

NismoPick 05-31-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mrprofile (Post 296137)
correct me if i am wrong here, but radiators don't "rust" to the point at which they leave rust flakes, there made of copper or aluminum which only oxidizes.

Yuppers... :D The only things that can "rust" in the coolant system would be the block, or the steel couplers / connections. A really good system flush followed by a proper mixture of coolant should fix that problem.

WanganDevilZ 05-31-2011 05:30 PM

How it's made was showing how radiators were made. And yep. Copper/aluminum.

83turbo280zx 06-01-2011 05:01 PM

your best bet is to flush it with a garden hose as best as you can, put the old radiator back in, leave the lower hose off of the radiator. Stick a garden hose into the radiator hose feeding water into the engine and let it run without a thermostat in it for maybe 30-45 min. Once you've done this, shut it off let it cool, fill the cooling system with a gallon of vinegar, and then water on top, let it circulate for a good 30-45 min. drain and repeat the garden hose procedure once more. This should get most if not all of the junk out. Then replace the radiator with a new one if it is severely clogged

FricFrac 06-02-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 83turbo280zx (Post 296207)
your best bet is to flush it with a garden hose as best as you can, put the old radiator back in, leave the lower hose off of the radiator. Stick a garden hose into the radiator hose feeding water into the engine and let it run without a thermostat in it for maybe 30-45 min. Once you've done this, shut it off let it cool, fill the cooling system with a gallon of vinegar, and then water on top, let it circulate for a good 30-45 min. drain and repeat the garden hose procedure once more. This should get most if not all of the junk out. Then replace the radiator with a new one if it is severely clogged

You can also get a little jig that splices into your heat hose and lets you screw in a garden hose. Works great. Just take the rad cap off and flush it yourself...

Tsuka89 06-06-2011 11:17 AM

The car was starting to overheat ie radiator performance failing, which was the main reason for replacement, I guess I'll post some pics, get some more replies and go from there.