ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/)
-   -   Suspension Questions (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/suspension-questions-26666/)

Blue83 09-17-2008 06:56 PM

Suspension Questions

So my 83 does the whole almost putting the bumper to the ground thing that most alot of Z's apparently do. My question is whats the best way to solve this. I figured shocks and springs.

Also I was thinking of going with the KYB Gas shocks and struts but I don't what springs. Anybody got any good suggestions?

NismoPick 09-17-2008 07:03 PM

Are you talking about the rear bumper "squat" effect? Yeah... search for "squat" as it's been discussed a lot. Performance struts & springs will fix that. In your search you will find info about my Mercedes Spring swaps.

Blue83 09-17-2008 07:20 PM

Will do. Thanks.

Bleach 09-17-2008 11:39 PM

Suspension Tech springs and KYB or Tokico shocks.

shox.com

Nissan 280ZX

CWHammer 09-25-2008 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Are you talking about the rear bumper "squat" effect? Yeah... search for "squat" as it's been discussed a lot. Performance struts & springs will fix that. In your search you will find info about my Mercedes Spring swaps.

'79 - '83 300D Front springs.

What did that do to your ride quality? The ride is already stiff enough and I would hate to make the MI roads any harder to take than they already are. How do the Eibach's compare in the squat control and ride quality?

NismoPick 09-25-2008 01:00 PM

The only reason I went to Eibach was because I couldn't find a cheap / realistic junk yard upgrade for the front springs. It is quite a firm rear end tho. :D Pushing down hard on the quarter panels doesn't do much. Shady's using those springs w/ a larger rear sway bar (I think) and it's quite a nice ride.

CWHammer 09-25-2008 01:23 PM

Did you go for stock height? I know the E's lower about an inch or so and I'm ok with the stock height. How many coils did you remove? I can't find much of anything for my 2+2. :confused:

NismoPick 09-25-2008 01:34 PM

Yeah, I chopped mine to stock height (chop saw FTW). The 300D spring is a lot longer than the 280zx rears. The only downside to this swap is that the springs will have to be chopped down enough that they actually don't sit tight against the strut cap until you lower the car back onto the ground.

Bleach 09-25-2008 02:16 PM

there is almost no suspension compression with those springs though. Not really the best for handling. I don't even think you need a rear sway bar with mercedes springs in back.

KasbeKZ 09-25-2008 02:21 PM

i have access to a 300d parts car. my uncle has one that he bought dirt cheap and the tranny went out, so it's been sitting a few years

i don't know what he'll want for them, probably not much. but it would cost a bit to get me to go over to his hell hole and pull them out and ship them :)

hit me up with a PM if anyone wants in

CWHammer 09-26-2008 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
there is almost no suspension compression with those springs though. Not really the best for handling. I don't even think you need a rear sway bar with mercedes springs in back.

HMMMMM, I love to speed through the corners. Is there any "good" option for a 2+2 and keep the stock height? Sometimes these cars are just frustrating. :013:

Bleach 09-26-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CWHammer
HMMMMM, I love to speed through the corners. Is there any "good" option for a 2+2 and keep the stock height? Sometimes these cars are just frustrating. :013:

Ask Shady280 his personal opinion on his rear Mercedes springs.
My opinion is that there are no good tight springs that keep you at stock height. the ST springs are not much lower in the back but they are lower in front. (slight rake) At least that's what they did on my car.
Brand new factory Nissan springs will be good, tight shocks (3 way adjustable illiminas) and big sway bars from MSA or ST.