ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/)
-   -   My New Wheels! ? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/my-new-wheels-17889/)

RodMoyes 04-16-2006 08:44 AM

My New Wheels! ?

Hey guys,

Tell me what you think of these...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2..._515gm_200.gif

I already ordered them... 18x7

They should be here Monday morning. I searched through about 2000 wheels before this one finally jumped out at me. It's hard to find an 18 that won't sit too far inside the fender well. Most are also 18x7.5 or wider and have a 45 offset, which just wouldn't work unless I got new adaptors that were at least 2.25 inches thick and that would seriously stress the hub. 18x7 + 40mm on this wheel is exactly the same distance out I had before with my 7 spoke, and 2mm further "out" than my current wheel. I can run a 245/35zr18 on it (though they're a little narrow for a 245) and keep the EXACT rolling radius of the original 195/70r14. Right now, my 235/40zr17's are a little shorter over all than that so it would be a good swap and would bring my RPM's back down a little on the freeway.

So, do you guys like 'em???

Once I mount one... I own them.

Rod.

NismoPick 04-16-2006 09:02 AM

They look purdy! :drool:

Have you "cut & pasted" that pic onto a pic of your car to see how they look?

Bleach 04-16-2006 10:13 AM

5-lug swap, then get them in +30! :D

oh, and yes I like them.

RodMoyes 04-16-2006 10:33 AM

I thought about the 5 lug swap, but it's more of a PITA and an expense than I really want to go through right now considering the laundry list of other things I still NEED to do to the car. The only reason I'm even doing the wheels and tires is because my tires are worn out and I HATE my current wheels. I figured if I was going to get new rubber, than I might as well get new wheels too. Besides, the Wheels are CHEAP compared to what the tires cost. I won't say EXACTLY what the wheels cost me, but it's somewhere between $80 and $82 each ;) . The tires are costing me about $140 each.

I still need to get the body kit on (some day), re-paint (for the 4th time), get the dings and scratches out, replace the windshield, replace ALL of the rear end bushings, my clutch is hating life right now so it needs to get fixed, I've got some new front end gremlins to sort out (it never ends with the big wheels and tires stressing out the parts), the interior still looks like caca, the underside of the hood and the engine bay is still GOLD, My window tinting is all jacked up and looks terrible, all of my once BLACK chrome trim is peeling and flaking off and looks terrible. I don't see myself having much time to fix any of it before MSA so it may not live up to it's photogenic nature when you all see it this year... but at least it will have a nifty new set of wheels! :)

Rod.

SHADY280 04-16-2006 12:15 PM

i like those rod, glad to see you kept the chrome ring with dark inset, that type really really suits your car.

nismo619 04-16-2006 01:13 PM

so u would need adpaters from 4x4.5 lug to 5x114.3 lug ? same as my 1993 300zx na ?

RodMoyes 04-16-2006 04:21 PM

Dude, the one in the picture is a 5 lug... the one I ordered is a 4 lug...

Rod.

Edit:

P.S.
Reading is fundamental... Try it some time. I'm pretty sure I already mentioned the fact that I WASN'T going to buy new adaptors.

RodMoyes 04-16-2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Most are also 18x7.5 or wider and have a 45 offset, which just wouldn't work unless I got new adaptors that were at least 2.25 inches thick and that would seriously stress the hub. 18x7 + 40mm on this wheel is exactly the same distance out I had before with my 7 spoke, and 2mm further "out" than my current wheel.

^ Yeah, that's the part right there...

jfairladyz 04-16-2006 06:36 PM

Well the wheels looks good. As soon as you get them you better mount em up and snap some pics cause I want to see how those 18's are going to look on the Z. You will forever be known as the guy who braved the 18" wheel on the 280ZX ;) (or atleast an 18" wheel that didn't look like it belonged on an SUV :rolleyes: )

D280zxmod 04-16-2006 06:37 PM

Look great Rod..i'd go with them!

RodMoyes 04-17-2006 01:21 PM

Wheels arrived here at the shop today. I'm going to test fit one later when I get a chance. Tires won't be here until Wednesday though, so I won't know for sure 100% until then...

They look way better in person than they do in the picture!!! :)

Rod.

Bleach 04-17-2006 01:48 PM

You forgot to send me a set for my birthday last week! PM me for my address... :D

apollo 04-17-2006 03:45 PM

80 odd dollars a wheel is a damn good deal. I wish i still had access to a wholesale license so i could get wheels that cheap. Hey Rod . . .wanna hook a fellow Z'er up? They look awsome by the way. Im big fan of 5 star pattern wheels. That style looks good on just about any car. Good choice.

RodMoyes 04-17-2006 05:17 PM

So Bleach, Apollo... here's the problem... I got the very last set of these bad boys available! :) I just hope I don't ding one and need to replace it.

Seriously though, You guys are better off due to your locale to find some wheels closer to home. As much as I would love to hook you guys up, it's not really cost effective for either of us once you factor in shipping and such. In the end, it would only save you a few bucks. The "average" mark up on wheels is only 30% or less which means that wheel that cost me 81 bucks would sell to the customer at 105. Plus, I got a further hook up over WD because they are for my personal car. If I was buying them to re-sell them, I would have paid a few bucks more...

If I ever come across a really cool deal though, I'll let you guys know.

Rod.

SHADY280 04-17-2006 06:25 PM

that what friends are for, deals on wheels.

but a real friend will help you hide a body!!!

entropy31 04-17-2006 08:23 PM

looking good rod. i hated your old wheels as well. they just didnt fit the car. i cant wait to see the pics of the new ones mounted up. too bad i dont still live in SD or i would come take a look in person. i was thinking about running down to MSA, but a court date prevented that :(. oh well, maybe next year.

RodMoyes 04-17-2006 09:13 PM

I test fitted one wheel to the front of the car this evening before I left the shop. It fit fine. I still don't know about it once it has a tire mounted on it though. From the looks of it I should be OK. Everyone at the shop really likes the wheels too. I think I made a good choice this time around.

So, am I really to understand that as far as anyone knows... I'll be the 18" 280ZX pioneer/guinea pig?

I have seen plenty of them with 17"s by now, but none with an 18" wheel. All I know is that it's going to make my brake rotors look freakishly small !

Once they are mounted on the car, I'll take some quick pics for you guys.

Rod.

P.S. did I mention that they are only 17lbs each? That's pretty light for an 18" wheel and about 2.5lbs lighter than my current 17"s :)

Rod.

jfairladyz 04-17-2006 09:59 PM

I've yet to actually see anybody with 18's on their 280zx. Next up is a custom big brake package to fill up those wheels ;)

And 17lbs, thats nothing. And you got the last set. Punk ;) Well if anybody else does decide to go 18's you'll still be the only 280zx with THOSE 18's.

Bleach 04-17-2006 10:05 PM

I have pics of a 280ZX with 18's. If our gallery works, the car was in my gallery here on Zdriver.com

jfairladyz 04-17-2006 10:16 PM

Oh sure, go and kill it for him :p

RodMoyes 04-17-2006 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
I have pics of a 280ZX with 18's. If our gallery works, the car was in my gallery here on Zdriver.com

Oh yeah?... Well, I bet it was ugly!

Mine will be much cooler... cuz it's MINE! :)

Oh yeah, there was a guy at MSA a couple of years ago with a one-off Willwood big brake set up on his 280ZX. It was pretty freakin' kewl! I'll get around to doing it eventually. I'm still stressing on the fact that my car is going to look so-so at best for MSA this year. Hopefully, my wheels will look so damn cool that nobody notices that my paint is all screwy, my trim molding is fubared, my window tinting is jacked and my interior sucks! :)

Anyway, so in the event that 18"s turn out to be more "common" than I thought... 19"s are just as easy for me to procure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_fU:

Rod :)

Purty S130 04-18-2006 12:47 AM

I got 22" SPINNARZ!!

hahaha..Im playing. Im anxious to see pictures of these.

I have 3 sets of swastica wheels. Im considering painting one pair with that duplicolor graphite stuff, leaving it with the chrome lip. Im wondering how that would turn out. Im hesitant to destroy nice wheels though..plus they could play for more parts I need in the long run.

entropy31 04-18-2006 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
19"s are just as easy for me to procure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_fU:

Rod :)

:075: no, bad rod. too big.

Bleach 04-18-2006 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think 18's look about as big as you want on a 280ZX. The outside diameter of the original tire still fits it well. You can barely fit 20's in there with some 225/30/20 I think... and those are only slightly oversized. I'm not sure if anyone makes 20x8 wheels in 4-lug. Sounds like an SUV wheel size to me.

I like this car with 18's. The spokes are a little big, but it has a good look for show. I really had my heart set on MB Desgin REV wheels. (Discount Tire wheel) 18x8 +30 5-lug. was gonna do the 5-lug swap and all... untill I found my 16x9 4-lug +0 wheels that bolt right on. Not huge diameter, but huge dish! :D and easier to install.

RodMoyes 04-18-2006 08:12 AM

Chrome is nasty..... eeeew.

Rod.