ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/)
-   -   half shaft upgrade?? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/half-shaft-upgrade-36600/)

silverzxbullet 11-30-2012 07:22 PM

half shaft upgrade??

Ok ive been searching with both the search function and browsing through pages with no luck. In my countless hrs on here reading and reading I thought i remembered coming across a thread on upgrading the the rear half shafts for the diff with a cv axle set up... off of a turbo car??

Can someone guide me to that tread.. since im no longer commuting in my 83zx ive been just playing with it and thinking about taking my spare diff and welding it just to have a lil more ease with sliding it around but threads talking about that say they have a tendency to blow the half shaft out.. thanks guys.

zenzee 12-01-2012 08:06 AM

Half shafts breaking with welded diff

Originally Posted by silverzxbullet (Post 318999)
Ok ive been searching with both the search function and browsing through pages with no luck. In my countless hrs on here reading and reading I thought i remembered coming across a thread on upgrading the the rear half shafts for the diff with a cv axle set up... off of a turbo car??

Can someone guide me to that tread.. since im no longer commuting in my 83zx ive been just playing with it and thinking about taking my spare diff and welding it just to have a lil more ease with sliding it around but threads talking about that say they have a tendency to blow the half shaft out.. thanks guys.

I have a set of CV's if interested. And yes more power to the rear wheels will have to match up to CV's. Today i will not be at the computer, so you may contact me on my cell 209-380-9719.

rogerz 12-01-2012 10:51 AM

you need the parts that match up to the half shaft and the stub axle. Just the half shaft won't do it.

silverzxbullet 12-01-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by zenzee (Post 319011)
I have a set of CV's if interested. And yes more power to the rear wheels will have to match up to CV's. Today i will not be at the computer, so you may contact me on my cell 209-380-9719.

Sent a text guess ur busy or cnt get text.. definitely interested tho. Where abouts in the 209 are u? Im in the stockton area.

Originally Posted by rogerz (Post 319014)
you need the parts that match up to the half shaft and the stub axle. Just the half shaft won't do it.

Im looking to go from half shafts to a cv set up..

What yr model is the cv set up from? So i can look it up in the fsm.

Thanks all

FricFrac 12-02-2012 08:00 AM

I would get the whole rear subframe. The geometry is also apparently improved as well on the turbo cars. Once you have the whole sub frame you can rebuild the whole rear end out of the car if you want.

And yes the CV rear end is from the turbo cars. I've heard rumours of the turbo rear end setup being found in some later 280ZXs but I've never seen it.

zenzee 12-02-2012 09:17 AM

CV shafts upgrade

Originally Posted by silverzxbullet (Post 319018)
Sent a text guess ur busy or cnt get text.. definitely interested tho. Where abouts in the 209 are u? Im in the stockton area.

Im looking to go from half shafts to a cv set up..

What yr model is the cv set up from? So i can look it up in the fsm.

Thanks all

I'm in Salida border Modesto. E/mail a contact number and i'll call you to see the parts i have.

rogerz 12-02-2012 12:45 PM

cv setup was also in some (maybe all) of the 2+2 - Not sure on that my memory is that i saw one in the junkyard that I was pulling parts from.

BlackS130 11-19-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac (Post 319038)
I would get the whole rear subframe. The geometry is also apparently improved as well on the turbo cars. Once you have the whole sub frame you can rebuild the whole rear end out of the car if you want.

And yes the CV rear end is from the turbo cars. I've heard rumours of the turbo rear end setup being found in some later 280ZXs but I've never seen it.

Is this true as far as the geometry is improved? where is the improvement made?

RT