ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/)
-   -   Camber levels on a race car? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/camber-levels-race-car-36447/)

LemonHead 11-02-2012 07:52 PM

Camber levels on a race car?

For those of you who have a race car, I'm curious to hear how much negative camber front and rear you have found to be ideal. Our Lemons car definitely needs some negative camber, but I'm going to do it by notching the upper strut mounts rather than adjustable camber plates as this will attract the ire of the BS judges at Tech Inspection. I'm tempted to go to around 4 degrees negative in front, maybe a touch less in the back (assuming that can even work in back.) Thanks in advance for your guidance.

FricFrac 11-03-2012 12:50 PM

Check with Frank on Hybridz

SHADY280 11-04-2012 11:03 PM

id start around 2 or so first, drive it and see. i wouldnt go more in the rear or your traction under power will not be good. just lowering a 280 with springs makes it a bit slippy in the rear.

ThaPimpShrimp 11-05-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280 (Post 318270)
id start around 2 or so first, drive it and see. i wouldnt go more in the rear or your traction under power will not be good. just lowering a 280 with springs makes it a bit slippy in the rear.

Just build a nice big spoiler :D

LemonHead 11-05-2012 06:45 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

FricFrac 11-05-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280 (Post 318270)

I'm assuming you're talking about not adjusting the rear end after you've dropped it making it slippy in the rear (eg you just screwed up the stock geometry ;) )

SHADY280 11-05-2012 10:14 PM

yeah we put in the lowering springs and my buddy didnt care because he wanted the negative camber to help it corner better and it did that, but under accel with everything else the same would spin even in 4th gear with an n/a. the op wanted the camber negative and this is the price you pay to make it handle. ive driven several cars with the same problem like a mustang and 240sx race cars.

FricFrac 11-06-2012 10:47 PM

You have to slot the rear cross member and get the geometery back if you want it to handle properly. Limiting the travel with stiffer springs is a great idea as well...

LemonHead 11-07-2012 07:57 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like the rear is a bit more work than I anticipated. I'll go ahead and tackle the front first, looks like they are pretty much at 0 degrees right now. Will see how much I can get out of notching the strut mounts up top.

NismoPick 11-07-2012 08:42 AM

PurePontiacKid built a crazy adjustable hybrid rear cross member for his slammed 280zx... but looks like he deleted the pics in his thread. He used some Toyota rear cross member setup, chopped and welded them on the Z's rear control arms.

You can also use Mercedes 300D springs for the rear too... if you are on a junk yard budget. I've discussed this many times.