280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind shield rubber mould 280zx '83

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 AM

Question Wind shield rubber mould 280zx '83

HI everyone,

Can i please get a step-by-step process to how i can remove my wind shield? The rubber that goes around the windshield , should i get the original or is it possible to find something similar in design that can work better?
Im new at this so i need some advice

thank you
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
The Good Twin

Are you replacing the windshield, or do you want to remove and reuse it? Because it's a nightmare trying to remove a windshield without cracking it. After doing several windshield R&R's myself, I take all my cars to the glass shop now.

If you are absolutely dead set on removing and installing it yourself, buy a windshield removal tool (you can get them from Harbor Freight for around $20). I can't remember if the 280ZX used a gasket from the factory, but most installers reinstall 280ZX windshields with silicone instead. Just make sure that the sill is clean (fix any rust while it's out).
Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 PM

I had my windshield replaced last year for $169+tax by a mobile installer. The zxes don't use a rubber gasket on the windshield but are glued in with windshield urethane. DO NOT use silicone!!

The side moldings come off first after revealing the screws underneath the rubber weatherstrip on the A-pillar. The upper and lower garnishes are snapped on by mounting strips with integrated clips, and after 30 years are rarely reusuable.

Whether doing it yourself (which I wouldn't recommend) or paying an installer, preorder the upper and lower mounting strips/clips which are still available from dealer. Check http://www.nissanpartszone.com/

The 82-83 strips will be different from the 79-81. On mine they came with double-sided tape already fastened to the strips. As NP said this would be the time to fix any rust and paint where you'd have a nice clean surface to mount the strips to.

Once the strips are installed and the windshield is glued in, the upper and lower garnishes are suprisingly easy to snap on, and also will slide left or right to center them before putting the side garnishes back on.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 AM

thanks guys for the advice. I dont want to replace the windshield i just want to install new rubber on the inside where the windshield and dasboard meet so that it has new seals. I will go and buy some urethane and fix it.

Thanks a lot
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by tennhogfan
I had my windshield replaced last year for $169+tax by a mobile installer. The zxes don't use a rubber gasket on the windshield but are glued in with windshield urethane. DO NOT use silicone!!

The side moldings come off first after revealing the screws underneath the rubber weatherstrip on the A-pillar. The upper and lower garnishes are snapped on by mounting strips with integrated clips, and after 30 years are rarely reusuable.

Whether doing it yourself (which I wouldn't recommend) or paying an installer, preorder the upper and lower mounting strips/clips which are still available from dealer. Check Nissan Parts | Online Nissan OEM Parts and Accessories

The 82-83 strips will be different from the 79-81. On mine they came with double-sided tape already fastened to the strips. As NP said this would be the time to fix any rust and paint where you'd have a nice clean surface to mount the strips to.

Once the strips are installed and the windshield is glued in, the upper and lower garnishes are suprisingly easy to snap on, and also will slide left or right to center them before putting the side garnishes back on.
I removed the chrome around my windshield to paint.. but now the chrome is loose on the top and bottom. I suspect I broke some clips. Can i just replace the clips without pulling the windshield?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM

The 82-83 cars are the only models from the factory to use the white clips. 79-81 uses a self-adhesive plastic strip with the clips integrated. I cannot confirm whether or not the strip is adequate for 82-83 models, but I did not need them on my 81. It would be very difficult IMO to replace the strip without pulling the windshield.

Name:  DSC00141.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  35.0 KB

As you can see the strip has a "foot" that rests on the pinch weld for proper position (behind the windshield). The large integrated clip you see in the pic is what actually secures the molding. Since you have already painted the roof and do not wish to pull the windshield, I would probably try and pull the upper and lower moldings and apply urethane to hold the molding securely in place of any broken clips on the strip.
If you don't have a urethane gun or didn't feel comfortable doing this you could take it by an auto glass shop and ask them to do it for you. They may even be able to do it without removing the moldings, depending on how "loose" they are. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tennhogfan
The 82-83 cars are the only models from the factory to use the white clips. 79-81 uses a self-adhesive plastic strip with the clips integrated. I cannot confirm whether or not the strip is adequate for 82-83 models, but I did not need them on my 81. It would be very difficult IMO to replace the strip without pulling the windshield.

As you can see the strip has a "foot" that rests on the pinch weld for proper position (behind the windshield). The large integrated clip you see in the pic is what actually secures the molding. Since you have already painted the roof and do not wish to pull the windshield, I would probably try and pull the upper and lower moldings and apply urethane to hold the molding securely in place of any broken clips on the strip.
If you don't have a urethane gun or didn't feel comfortable doing this you could take it by an auto glass shop and ask them to do it for you. They may even be able to do it without removing the moldings, depending on how "loose" they are. Hope this helps.
Yep that is exactly what I need to know.. I guess its urethane, until I need a windshield.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

+1 on the Urethane - not silicone! This is sticky material - good stuff
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM

I just took my mouldings off since my windshield is cracked and I have rust bubbles at the top and bottom mouldings that I want to address while I'm in there.

Anyone every driven with a windshield out? Reason I'm asking is that I'll want to have the time to work on the rust with the window out, so I'd need to take the window out, fix the rust, then DRIVE it to the glass place to get a new one....is that crazy? I'd wear sunglasses or goggles...maybe a white scarf
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM
The Good Twin

I did exactly that... I took out the windshield to fix all the rust areas, and strapped the windshield in with rope when I had to drive it... not the safest option, but it was my only car when I was in high school.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Find a mobile installer to come out and you won't have to drive anywhere. Whether you cut it out yourself, or drive it to them it costs the same. I went with a local independent instead of big volume nationwide. If you mean driving it around as you fix the rust well that's just not realistic. Set aside a few days for repairs. Have all your materials ready with a gameplan, to minimize downtime.

Last edited by tennhogfan; 07-19-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks guys - I didn't think about the mobile service - that's a great idea.

When I get around to this project I'll be sure to post about it, with photos and lessons learned.

Phil