ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/)
-   -   removing the switches bottom left corner of dash (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/removing-switches-bottom-left-corner-dash-13085/)

WildmaN 05-18-2005 05:46 AM

removing the switches bottom left corner of dash

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to remove the rear defroster, rear wiper and light dimming switch on the bottom left hand corner of the dash. :confused: I am currently redoing my destroyed dash, so that I can put a dash cap on it when I have the money. :rolleyes: I would like to remove those switches so I can glue it back on the original dash. :) Doh! it broke off because it is so brittle. But the switches are intact and work fine! :D

I am using the Bondo fiber resin jelly stuff to fill in the cracks, and then I am going to even it out. :cool: Repaint it, so I can put a dash cap on it. Anyway any info on this matter would be great. I would like to have the dash done this weekend, so I can put it back in the car. I am sick of looking at the empty hole in the front. :( He he! Thanks guys for the input you give me, and talk to you later! :D

fenderbender02 05-18-2005 06:03 AM

if I am not mistaken they either have a allen head screw holding them on or the knobs just slip off. I have removed them before without destroying the dash but it has been awhile.

DynamicJ 05-18-2005 06:06 AM

wait, there's a Rear defroster on this car??? I'm an idiot. :D sure would have helped out a few months ago...

WildmaN 05-18-2005 06:17 AM

Thanks for the input. I have already tried to take the knobs off. They don't seem to want to come off of the pins. :eek: I will see if there is a allen bolt there. But I didn't see one that I can remember. :confused: Anyway I am off to bed. Got to be at work at 4:00pm. :cool: Later, and again, thanks for the info guys! :D

Bleach 05-18-2005 07:43 AM

1979 cars had no luxury options like rear defroster! :D

DynamicJ 05-18-2005 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
1979 cars had no luxury options like rear defroster! :D

haha, damn you "luxurious people" :D

Carl's Z 05-18-2005 08:27 AM

I know the dimmer knob has to be pushed in, turned, and then pulled off. Kinda like prescription drug lids...

Not sure about the others.

whyfeel 05-18-2005 11:01 AM

I am pretty sure that that whole panel that is recessed into the dash with those knobs just pops out toward you. The switches and knobs all have modules behind them. If you reach behind it you can pop the whole mess out towards the rear of the car. Then it just pops back it. I did a swap with those modules a while ago... I could be wrong, but check it out.

WildmaN 05-18-2005 01:38 PM

Thanks alot for the info guys! :cool: I will try all these remedies this weekend. And as soon as I get my dash in, and interior done. Except for the carpet. :( Which will be a while. :( I will try and post pics of my project. :D

fenderbender02 05-19-2005 08:26 PM

good luck let us know how it goes.

duckyz 05-20-2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lessthanjabo
wait, there's a Rear defroster on this car??? I'm an idiot. :D sure would have helped out a few months ago...

I even have the mirror heaters on mine....good for a foggy day!

WildmaN 05-23-2005 02:02 PM

Well try as I might, I could not get those d#mn knobs off! :mad: And now the dimmer switch is screwy, if it is not one thing it's another. ;) Anyway I did a lot of painting of my interior parts this weekend. Using Royal Blue, and Silver Aluminum. Glued the cracks in my dash with wood glue, and put about 6 skinny concrete blocks, on top of it. So it will reform back to shape. And then after I get it nice and smoothed out enough, that I can get a dash cap for it later. I will install it back in my car, and start piecing my interior back together. Will try to post pics after I get most of the stuff back in. I painted my console steering column cover, windshield pillar, threshold door trim. Then I have a few more pieces to paint. I got tired last night about 3:30am. So I quit and put everything I painted back in the car, so they wouldn't get damaged. Anyway sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my interior project with you guys! :D