ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/)
-   -   How to install a MSA type II bodykit? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/how-install-msa-type-ii-bodykit-23271/)

WildmaN 07-11-2007 06:34 AM

How to install a MSA type II bodykit?

Okay I wanted to make a new thread about installing my bodykit. Do I put it over the existing bumpers? Or do I take off the bumper covers? Or is it the complete bumpers and covers? Just wanted to post this, so I can get some info about it. If any of you know, which I am sure some of you do. Feel free to help a Z brother out. That is installing a bodykit for the first time in his life. Also anything else you want to add about it. And thanks everybody.:icon_super:

Oh yeah and the bodykit, is going on a '82 280zx slicktop.

NismoPick 07-11-2007 06:49 AM

You have to strip the bumpers down to the rusty metal bumper support. The kit fits over that. You will also need to release the hydraulic pressure in the bumper shocks. On the underside of the shock flange there is a phillips screw... remove it slowly (you will hear a slight hiss). Then you can push the shock in. Should be a piece of cake after that... unless the front catches the hood like most do... doh!

WildmaN 07-11-2007 07:01 AM

Okay so basically I need to take off the bumper covers. And release the pressure in the bumper shocks, or whatever they are called. Then after prepping the kit, I just mount it over the bumpers. Okay cool, now what about the sideskirts? How would I go about mounting them? And thank you for the info NismoPick. I am going to bed now. lol Keep the suggestions coming. Including everybody on here, and thanks again.

NismoPick 07-11-2007 07:22 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else w/ the MSA II kit has done the following, but the front isn't very secure the way it is. I fiberglassed in a metal strip to secure the front bumper kit to the bumper frame. I can take a pic tonight. Just my luck that the transporter snagged it when it was coming home from the MSA trip. :puke:

Anyway, the side skirts just fit on. Most people just epoxy them on. You can use screws on the inside door lip & fender wells.

Bleach 07-11-2007 09:50 AM

On the front piece, I stuck a strip of hard foam around behind the bumper. It is below the crash bumper between the fiberglass. It lifts the air dam slightly. I also did some trimming on the front bumper. Just below the headlight buckets it hits because the bucket is not totally flat. I cut a small amount out there. With the air dam seated back fully on the car, lift the hood a little until it hits the air dam. Mark a line up front where you need to cut to clear the hood.

The rear bumper required no trimming. I don't do side skirts...

lww 07-11-2007 01:01 PM

Oh, I bet Bleach would look great in skirts... :D

snwbrderphat540 07-11-2007 01:01 PM

you know that spray foam/insulation stuff, my friend used it in his body kit for more support and strength

NismoPick 07-11-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
you know that spray foam/insulation stuff, my friend used it in his body kit for more support and strength

Hum... spray in foam for support and strength? That doesn't really make sense. It's for insulation... not strength.

snwbrderphat540 07-11-2007 01:11 PM

yeah but have you ever touched it before? ITS FAWKING STRONG!!!! like you wouldnt believe. it will also hold itself inplace around the bumper inside teh kit and junk

Heat Rave R 07-11-2007 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
yeah but have you ever touched it before? ITS FAWKING STRONG!!!! like you wouldnt believe. it will also hold itself inplace around the bumper inside teh kit and junk

The previous owner of my NA 280ZX had done that same method. The downside is that it made the bumper extremely difficult to remove, requiring a reciprocating saw, which damaged the bumper. Maybe put some masking tape on the inside of the fiberglass bumper first before using the foam, so that it sticks to the tape instead.

snwbrderphat540 07-11-2007 02:58 PM

or.... just wrap paper around it since paper tears much easier than masking tape and isnt sticky any where.

Bleach 07-11-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Oh, I bet Bleach would look great in skirts... :D

I bet I would! maybe polka dot?

SHADY280 07-11-2007 08:52 PM

umm i dont have the msa 2 kit, but why do you have to release the pressure? seems to me those are there to protect your investment, and your ride in the case someone bumps it. there not a help at speed, but why? that spray foam is great for sound deadning as well, it holds up great and is for more than just insulation. snw is right here,(feels odd saying that) just gotta use it correctly

NismoPick 07-11-2007 08:54 PM

MSA states in the kit instructions to remove the pressure in the shocks. The kit won't fit around the wheel wells unless they are pushed in.

SHADY280 07-11-2007 08:57 PM

ghetto, guess it makes it look better being a bit shorter anyhoo.

hoov100 07-11-2007 09:04 PM

i would suggest door fillers, to go with the side skirts..

Bleach 07-12-2007 07:40 AM

Yes, it does look better with the bumper brought in a little.... although I think the front could look good if the bumper were further out so the bodyline down the hood to the bumper was more even.
The back certainly is better brought in to where MSA intended it.

thxone 10-04-2007 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
snw is right here,(feels odd saying that) just gotta use it correctly

OMG WTF!!! How could you say that??? Now he is going to have a big head!!

NismoPick 10-04-2007 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by thxone
OMG WTF!!! How could you say that??? Now he is going to have a big head!!

It took you 3 months to say that?

snwbrderphat540 10-04-2007 12:03 PM

homo....

hahahaha, im always right.

WildmaN 11-19-2007 10:19 AM

Well hopefully here by the first of the year. I will get around to installing the bodykit. Alot of things have recently happened in my life. I quit my job after 7 years. And in between jobs as of now. Well wont get into it too much. Will post when I have an update for all of you.

WildmaN 06-14-2008 04:58 PM

Well...figured I would revive this thread again. I plan on sometime here soon. Working on my slicktop again. To install the bodykit. It is now still sitting in Carl's Z's room. lol And I would like to get it out of there. And mount it on my Z. May work on it here soon. Will keep all of you posted on this...

SHADY280 06-14-2008 09:55 PM

sweet wildman, take lots o pix when your done, and during to document the process, seems to be lots of the question, how do i mount my msa kit lately

280zx2by2 06-15-2008 09:03 AM

good luck, cause yall know i was to puss to get the type 2, oh and my airdam comes in monday:D:D:D:D

WildmaN 06-15-2008 03:18 PM

Thanks guys...I will try and take pics as I go. But I will warn you...I suck at explaining some things..lol Like I said...probably this coming weekend. I will start on it. The Z bug is biting me again..heh heh :unibrow: Anyway will keep you all posted. ;)