280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front spoiler & front left panel replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:07 PM

front spoiler & front left panel replace?

I just told a guy I was going to buy his stock 1983 280zx turbo next week

any way he said something about the front chin spoiler being damaged, I asked him about it. He said "It was actually beaten up pretty badly when I purchased the car, and I messed with it and cut the bad spot completely off, The lower grill is still in good condition, but the part below the grill is gone."

My first question is what is that exactly called and where can I get a new one if it can be had. what exactly would I need to do to make it perfect again if possible.

there is also a dent in the front left panel, like right in front of the door is there a way to replace that and whats that also called. like go to a junk yard and get one or something? kinda hard to find junk yards in South Carolina where you can get parts, its gay... ive looked on car parts.com but found nothing seeing as how i dont knwo what its name is.

Last edited by Comrade_Charlie; 06-25-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:08 PM
The Good Twin

First... you need a lesson on autobody nomenclature (part names).

Air dam / Valance is the "chin" or front parts under the bumper.

Fender is the panel above each front tire.

Hood.... well, hopefully you know what a hood is.

Quarter Panel is the panel above the rear wheel.

Rocker Panel is the long triangular piece running under the door from the front to rear tires.

Hatch & Door.... hopefully you got those.

Radiator Support is the front bar that the radiator bolts to.

Anyway... you can get replacement body panels at any major AutoBody Supply Store. Interstate is a good one. Nissan also sells many orig body panels for the 280zx too.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 PM

I know what a air dam is but just didnt know that it was what he was calling a front chin spoiler... I knew what everything else was except for the fender, thought those were the bumpers... i would call the hatch the trunk but dont matter

I looked on car parts for a left fender , and found one from a 82 280zx for 75 dollars thats in my town, its black and so is the car. im going to have to check that out.

I also found a "hatch" from a 83 for 100 bucks, from the same place. so 175 bucks to fix some rust and a dent

Last edited by Comrade_Charlie; 06-25-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Look at www.zcarparts.com they have nice body kits as well for the airdam and valance. Plus anything else you can think of to make your car what you want it to be.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 PM

Yea, I was just looking for a Valance or air dam, didnt find much but when I did it was the price of a good air dam from www.zcarparts.com, so I will probaly just do that. I also like the rear wings, the ones like off of a 86 300zx turbo.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

This might give you a better idea as to what nismo is talking about and general nomenclature

Last edited by apollo; 06-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 PM

I looked in a downloaded 280zx service manual it doesnt look too hard to get the left fender off, anything I should do or avoid? Im not sure if im going to replace the hatch not much is wrong with it except some rust which doesnt hurt nothing, its like out of the way of the glass and all the rubber but its like a 4x4 inch gone.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:06 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by apollo
This might give you a better idea as to what nismo is talking about and general nomenclature
Picture saved! We'll prolly have to use that one again some day

Originally Posted by Comrade_Charlie
I looked in a downloaded 280zx service manual it doesnt look too hard to get the left fender off, anything I should do or avoid?
Taking a fender off is easy... just don't be in a rush, or you'll surely bust a nut... I mean... bolt

There is a bolt @ the top of the fender by the door mirror, 2 bolts at the bottom meeting the rocker, 2 meeting the airdam, 2 for the headlight bucket, and about 6 along the hood joint. If any are rusted, use some PB Blaster first.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Taking a fender off is easy... just don't be in a rush, or you'll surely bust a nut... I mean... bolt
haha. crucial