ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/)
-   -   door lock stuck! (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/door-lock-stuck-17447/)

mattduskater 03-18-2006 11:50 AM

door lock stuck!

dose anyone know how I can open the door when it wont unlock? I have been climbing out of the passanger side door for about 4 days now and it is really geting old.... my door locked fine but now wont unlock and need to know how I can get the door open without breakin it.
thank you in advance for any feedback.

SHADY280 03-18-2006 12:37 PM

Will It Unlock Or Anything From The Inside Or Outside?? Mine Freezes, From Outside, But Inside Still Works, Lube The Lock Tumbler With Graphite Or Lock Lube, Wd40, Anything To Get It Moving And Try Carefully Without Breaking The Key.

gabrielzzz 03-18-2006 02:56 PM

yea, my Z does the same thing, i realized it was an electrical problem, because when ever it rained it would work with no problem whatsoever, so from the inside, take the panel off, fix any bare wires, or just replace all electrical if you want to be sure, (what i did) and as shady280 posted, lube the tumbler and the inside lever, anything that moves up against anything.

mattduskater 03-18-2006 03:42 PM

its not the lock... I pulled back the door panel from the top(need to get a new one now) and pulled on the lock bar and still nothing. the lever on the inside wouldnt unlock all of the way and I cant get the door panel off while the door is closed (cant open at all from either end).

jfairladyz 03-18-2006 05:05 PM

I had this problem. It sounds like one of the rods is binding on something. A linkage could've broken and now it's caught on something and wont allow the lock to turn completely. I was too lazy to get inside the door to fix it when the problem occured so I just removed the rod that attaches to the locking mechanism. Now the driver's door wont lock from the outside (it now works from the inside even though it didnt before). So if I lock my drivers door I have to unlock it through the passenger door. But it's better than the door not opening at all. Once I get around to getting a replacement rod and linkage I'll fix it right :rolleyes:

FubarI33t 03-20-2006 10:50 AM

If it's not a power lock, then it's the lock it's self. i have this problem. it will lock from inside fine, but when you go to unlock from inside, it's jammed. Won't fully unlock, it's not the linkage on mine. The lock it's self is just old. best to replace like i am.

RodMoyes 03-20-2006 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I had this problem. It sounds like one of the rods is binding on something. A linkage could've broken and now it's caught on something and wont allow the lock to turn completely. I was too lazy to get inside the door to fix it when the problem occured so I just removed the rod that attaches to the locking mechanism. Now the driver's door wont lock from the outside (it now works from the inside even though it didnt before). So if I lock my drivers door I have to unlock it through the passenger door. But it's better than the door not opening at all. Once I get around to getting a replacement rod and linkage I'll fix it right :rolleyes:

Just think J... If you did that to both doors, your car would be much harder to steal :)

Rod.

jfairladyz 03-20-2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Just think J... If you did that to both doors, your car would be much harder to steal :)

Rod.

Yeah but I'd rather just weld the doors shut and get that super clean look :D

jmmorriso 03-20-2006 08:25 PM

ya know, if you did that, you wouldnt have to worry about wind whistles, or body flex very much. Ooh, plus Dukes of Hazzard style is always fun in a suit.:unibrow:

jfairladyz 03-20-2006 08:28 PM

I was thinking of painting my Z orange and putting a confederate flag on the roof if I went back to VA anyways :D Plus jumping in and out of the window is just cool. Or atleast it was cool at one point :rolleyes:

lww 03-21-2006 12:30 AM

I'm too fat, old and lazy for that to even sound fun anymore... :(

jfairladyz 03-21-2006 09:54 AM

yeah it would be cool til the first time I either:
A) knock my head while jumping in or out
B) Get really drunk and cant figure out why my door wont open
C) I eat dirt trying to climb out cause even though I was really drunk I eventually figured out to climb in the window
D)The Officer tells me to step out of the car :D

mattduskater 03-22-2006 09:59 PM

I do have power locks but the have never worked right, both lock when they want to otherwise they just work like regular locks. the lock in the door isnt the right one but my key works anyway when you stick it about halfway in lol. I also have to wiggle the key to get the clock, winshield wipers ect... to turn on, so I think I have a broken switch somewhere but dont really care as long as I can get this door open!