ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/)
-   -   dash caps vs. new dash (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/dash-caps-vs-new-dash-11982/)

duckyz 03-04-2005 07:41 PM

dash caps vs. new dash

What are your thoughts on this? I'm contemplating both, but I've never seen a cap that was installed correctly. I just recently got my first dash crack on a stock dash. :eek:

newb81280zx 03-04-2005 10:36 PM

I was pleased with the dash cap I put in my car. Having your dash redone or getting a new one is going to cost a lot of money and in my opinion isn't worth it. Its your choice though if you want you can see pictures of mine http://www.cardomain.com/id/dat81sun the only problem with them I see is that they are a tight fit covering the front side and you can (looking hard) see there is a cap if your looking from the outside of the windshield into the interior; however, overall I am pleased with how it looks (especially inside the car). Good luck on your choice and keep us posted.

WildmaN 03-05-2005 02:43 AM

HI newb81280zx. I like your interior that is tight! :) It almost doesn't look like a ZX. :D More like an expensive sportscar! :p Where did you get your shift boot and seats? I like those. Also what did you do to get that chrome look on your dash gauge inserts? I really like that! Get back to me WildmaN ;)

newb81280zx 03-05-2005 11:33 AM

Hey Thanks, I bought the seats off ebay. I got the shift knob and boot from a junkyard and drilled the knob out and tapped it to fit on. The boot I sewed a piece of vinyl to it then wrapped it under the old tray. I just painted the inserts with a surprisingly good chrome paint.

WildmaN 03-05-2005 12:57 PM

What kind of chrome paint is it? And what brand of seats are they? And you are quite creative, you just gave me more ideas. Anyway get back to me on what kind of seats those are. Thanks, WildmaN

newb81280zx 03-05-2005 05:08 PM

It was Krylon- Original Chrome. The seats are K2 racing seats. I will warn you the seats took a lot of work to fit low in the car, but it was definitely worth it. The seats bolt up pretty easily with a few easy to make brackets (and if you want higher seats its not bad), but I ended up cutting out the old mounts on the floor and making new lower ones so I would feel more comfortable in the car. I do recommend the change though the new seats are very supportive and comfortable compared to the stock seats. Good Luck!!

duckyz 03-05-2005 06:24 PM

That is a nice cap. Do you have any pics of the flaws?

apollo 03-06-2005 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
great job newb81280zx! I too swapped out for better seats, although i didnt have the money for some recaro's or anything like that, these early honda seats were cheap but look really good ( i think ) and as far as comfort, they are a huge improvement from the Z seats. And the chrome paint accents, thats really cool. two thumbs up man:D

Bleach 03-06-2005 11:23 PM

Oh great. Now look what you started, Ice! :rolleyes:

Silverstreakzx 03-07-2005 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by apollo
great job newb81280zx! I too swapped out for better seats, although i didnt have the money for some recaro's or anything like that, these early honda seats were cheap but look really good

Wow, those look great. Were they simply a straight bolt in or did you have to drill new holes.

apollo 03-07-2005 04:20 PM

No bolt on, I made new brackets. Wasnt too bad. The honda seats are a nice fit, but you have to be willing to a bit of fab work.

icice9 03-07-2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
Oh great. Now look what you started, Ice! :rolleyes:

lol no coment....

apollo 03-07-2005 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by icice9
lol no coment....

wwwwhhhhhaaaaaattt . . . . . . i cant put up a pic on my sig?

:D