ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/)
-   -   any particular models come w/black interiors? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-appearance-exterior-interior-80/any-particular-models-come-w-black-interiors-16186/)

bnj 12-17-2005 11:35 PM

any particular models come w/black interiors?

ive been hunting down black parts (current have the weird red/brown, and lets just say the years have not been good to it....)
so far i have the center console and stereo surround, planning on picking up the motorposrts carpet kit, and dash cap cover, but it seems i still need the glove box cover...
anyhoo, any light on where to pick up black interior peices? thankss :D

Skully 12-18-2005 12:06 AM

ebay once in a while there is a bunch black parts selling

Lost Vegaz 12-18-2005 12:26 AM

spray paint em.

WildmaN 12-18-2005 01:08 AM

Yep use Dupli-color vinyl and fabric spray paint. See the results in my interior. It looks factory painted.

SHADY280 12-18-2005 08:29 AM

Black Came In The 82 With The Silver And Black Exterior. Not Every Thing Was Black, It Was 2 Tone With Silver. I Happen To Have A Complete Interior From One. Just Has One Crack On Dash And Needs New Carpet. I Dont Know If Lost Vegaz Still Wants It.

bnj 12-18-2005 09:02 AM

on that model, was it t tops? and if so, what color is the headliner?

SHADY280 12-18-2005 09:30 AM

It Was T-tops And I Believe Its Black.

jfairladyz 12-18-2005 11:59 AM

Man, an entire black enterior, looked like everything but the dash, just sold on ebay yesterday for $21. Some guy was selling interior sets in a few different colors.

Skully 12-18-2005 04:48 PM

yup i saw that...so try ebay

RodMoyes 12-18-2005 05:12 PM

I saw it to, but it wasn't everything... Not even close. The two parts hardest to come by were missing (Inside rear panels... Spare tire cover and opposite with locking cubby) among others as well. You'll have a REALLY hard time finding those!.

Rod.

Bleach 12-18-2005 08:18 PM

I have those rear parts in TAN... if anyone wants them cheap to paint.

Anyway, ya the interriors were options. But I think the silver/charcoal colored 280ZX had the black/tan interrior. That's what my car is. In 1979 there was an option for all black interrior. That seems to be the only year I have seen with everything black that is usually silver and black in later years. Oh, the 280ZXR was definatly all black interrior, so if you find one of those in the junk yard you can get the interrior from it! :D :D

hehe...

RodMoyes 12-18-2005 08:21 PM

If I find a ZXR in the junkyard, I'm gonna cry!... Then I'm strippin' the interior out of it ;)

Rod.

Lost Vegaz 12-18-2005 08:22 PM

280ZXR???? are you making that up?? Or is that for real?? Arn't type R's Honda??

RodMoyes 12-18-2005 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, not made up. It's a real car made for the 1979 model year only as a means to homologate the large "whale tale" rear wing for racing. They came in one color choice and option package only. They are very, very rare. Bleach has pictures.

Rod.

280ZXR pictured below.

SHADY280 12-18-2005 08:34 PM

My Silver/black Car Is Not The One In Rods Picture It Is An 82. Apparently Its A Rare Paint Scheme, But The Car Is Too Far Gone Body Wise So Everything Is Gonna Be Stripped And The Body Scrapped Complete Interior For Sale Black And Gray (mostly Black)

Lost Vegaz 12-18-2005 08:35 PM

Wow, I definatly like that wing.

Bleach 12-18-2005 10:03 PM

dude, its not a type R, its a 280ZXR. The original ZXR; not a stupid Yamaha copy of the name.

Yes, those are very very very very very rare. Hence, that was a joke. :D

I once saw a 2-seater slick top 280ZX painted in silver with one of those rear wings and those type of wheel covers in my area. It was missing the sticker package... I always wondered about that one...

jfairladyz 12-18-2005 10:44 PM

Unfortunately the ONLY thing the 280zxR had going for it was that it was rare. Well I guess the all black interior and paint scheme was a plus. But performance wise, I wouldn't say it very much deserved the "R" monicker at all. To me it was kinda like a special edition Miata: Thow on a limited color scheme, change the interior a bit and slap a badge on it that makes it sound better than it really is. No disrespect toward the ZXR, but in my opinion it's over hyped. Just rare, thats all. No REAL benefit to owning one except to say you have one. :rolleyes:

RodMoyes 12-18-2005 11:07 PM

OK, so it wasn't any faster, and it didn't handle any better, and it had less power than an 81-83... Bu why you gotta be like dat J ????? The limited production run was neccassary in order to homologate that wing for racing... Without the ZXR, the 280ZX would not have become such a prolific and enduring race machine. Paul Newman and the like would not have won so many races in that car and the legendary track performance of the 280ZX may have never been. I find it amazing that 3 years after the 280ZX was out of production, and 3 years into the Z31/300ZX's life, the 280ZX was still the car of choice and NATIONAL CHAMPION... How you like the ZXR now?

Rod.

daddsun 12-18-2005 11:35 PM

To answer the question of whether there was any specific model 280ZX with an all black interior: no. I will give you some ideas of where to find such an animal. If you take the '79 model year any "GL" (using Nissan's trim level code) with factory hubcaps being a big clue and certain colors such as: silver, light metallic blue, white, or red may have come with an all black interior. Typically these models would have also had manual (roll-up) windows and usually no power steering. The base model 2+2's would have in some cases had a black interior as well but without the tall backed bucket seats. For 1980 it gets a little strange because more models were being produced with the t-top option for 2 seaters (2+2's wouldn't get the t-top option until 1981) meant that the base model would see small production numbers. The color combinations also changed slightly as Nissan wanted to keep each year a little bit different. For instance you might see a white 280ZX with hubcaps and roll up windows but it might have had an all red interior.

Then we come to 1981 and this is where my strangely equipped 280ZX comes into play. In '81 in the factory brochure there is a picture of a gray 280ZX with the beveled side molding and hubcaps. In my case my car was equipped with an all black interior with roll up windows. There was no power steering and no rear window wiper. The car also did not have the ten function check between the speedo and tach. It also had the older analog style radio and just like the old S30 Z cars, only the driver side outside mirror. I have only seen this weirdness replicated in the same gray color and I am not aware of any other color offered with those delete options in other colors.

Enclosed are a few pics:

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1732.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1729.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1727.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1722.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1211.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums...n/Dscn1210.jpg

bnj 12-19-2005 08:26 AM

wowowowow nice car! are those rikens? or some other random mesh rim?

Bleach 12-19-2005 09:11 AM

Very good info, thanks! I noticed your car had that strange side moulding that I have never seen before. I figured maybe you put it on custom. That certainly is a strange option package. in 1981 most all of the 280ZX's had the full power steering. (no rack) I didn't know any by that time came with manual steering. Very nice car you have there, and possibly quite a rare option package. Good job at keeping it all stock. I love the wheels too. Hard to find that type in 16" size.
(see "Widest Tyre size" thread in the suspension section for info on his tires and wheels)

RodMoyes 12-19-2005 09:55 AM

Hey daddsun, That is a very good looking car! I can't believe how nice the interior is. My quest for a nice all black interior has led me to the ends of the Earth. I still have a couple little pieces that elude my grasp after 2 years and 11 months of searching. They have become the "Holy Grail" of Z car parts for me. I have also noticed that virtually every car I find in a wrecking yard with factory black interior has roll up windows... almost like black was the "Budget" interior option. These days, you have to pay extra for all black because it's considered cool. Anyway, nice car. Probably not a whole lot of nice 280ZX's rolling around Maryland. You may have the nicest one in the state!

Rod.

jfairladyz 12-19-2005 10:30 AM

Now Rod, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the ZXR. It had it's purpose, which was exactly what you explained. But the simple fact that its only rare because Datsun only needed to sell a few wings just doesn't do it for me. Sure, what the sales of that car led to is legendary. The ZX went on to be super succesful in its racing career. But the car itself just wasn't very special. Only it's limited numbers are special. Now a Paul Newman racecar is another story and I'd love to own that little peice of history :D And in all fairness, Nissan could've just opted to make the wing an option and still probably sold more than enough cars with it in place to meet SCCA requirements. I'm not knocking the car, or what it did for the Z. I'm just saying that the car itself is not special enough for ME to dedicate my life to finding one (not making any implications here). Now had Datsun made an engine change or something along those lines to make the CAR better, that would be another story. Of course, to also be fair, the ZXR's are pretty much the last of the ZX's that you're going to find in cherry condition and still in their original untouched form. Most anything else is likely to have been abused, weathered, and just generally tore up. I guess that would make it worth it if originality and great condition are on the list of must haves. Lots of nice ZX's out there. But just as nice and all the original trimmings as from Datsun, not too many ;)

And that is a beautiful car above. Great shape if I do say so myself. A dash that aint cracked and seats without rips, now thats about as rare as a ZXR, if not more so :D

Bleach 12-19-2005 12:15 PM

Ya, wouldn't it be cool if when they came out with the 280ZX Turbo that they called it a 280ZXR or something like that? :)