240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Is it worth it? (New To Forum)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Is it worth it? (New To Forum)

Hey guys,

I am interested in buying some form of 240-280z. I have been searching for a long time, just looking for something cheap that I can work on and build myself. Money is a factor in purchasing it, but I will be doing ALL of the work myself. I have the required tools and such, and I know I can find the required knowledge. This would be my 2nd Z, behind a 96 300zx Twin Turbo. Okay that being said, I would like to know if you all think this car is worth the money.

1983 280zx Turbo

Its pretty beat up I understand. Thats not an issue for me. The car needs a head gasket, a new radiator and alternator. The bad is the glass. The 2 passenger windows were busted out, along with the rear glass. I see I can get the 2 passenger windows on ebay for about $120USD. But nothing for the rear. It comes with the hood and rear bumper. The interior isn't in great shape from what I can see, I'll try to keep this updated as I get more info about it. If you all will post questions I'll find out the answers. I believe its stock motor/120k miles with a stock auto tranny.

Just wanted to know your alls opinion as if to if it would be worth it. I don't want to spend over what it would be worth in the long run. Just want a Z to cruise around in and beat it up. Seems like this would be a decent starting option. Just to make it clear, this car will be a cruiser, not many miles put on it. Just something to have fun in. I don't plan on painting or doing a full restore. Just a running driving project. Thanks a lot guys

Starting Price is: $350

Last edited by EHutton; 04-22-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 AM

Wow, that's rough. Not sure I'd make that thing a driver. Have you gotten a close look to see what the rust situation is?

Hatch window glass is hard to find. You will likely end up at a junk yard.

If the head gasket is blown, there might be even more damage inside.

You said that money is a factor. I don't know to what level you want to bring this car to but IMHO (emphasis on opinion), if you go forward, plan on a long term project, working on it as funds become available. Problem with this approach is losing interest. So many projects get abandoned and much of the work and money spent is just flushed. Be sure this is something you want to do.

My own experience, fully restoring a 260Z required two cars (about the same shape as the one you are considering), three years of intensive work and well over $30K to complete. Yes, it is gorgeous and sometimes wins its class in local shows.

At $350, that's more the price of a parts car and that might be a good buy cuz you can probably sell lots of the parts and make some more money for a better purchase.

EDIT: OK, I re-read your post. If you just want to drive a beat-up Z, it might be OK but you can probably find something running for less than what you'll have to invest in this one. The big risk will still be the drive-train (motor, tranny, diff). Can the motor be turned? When did it last run? Find out what the rust situation is. I can't read the plate so I'm not sure where your are (rust state?). Look underneath and make sure it is safe, i.e. frame rails are OK, suspension is OK, no holes in gas tank. Check the fuel lines for leaks and so on.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 04-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Wow, that's rough. Not sure I'd make that thing a driver. Have you gotten a close look to see what the rust situation is?

Hatch window glass is hard to find. You will likely end up at a junk yard.

If the head gasket is blown, there might be even more damage inside.

You said that money is a factor. I don't know to what level you want to bring this car to but IMHO (emphasis on opinion), if you go forward, plan on a long term project, working on it as funds become available. Problem with this approach is losing interest. So many projects get abandoned and much of the work and money spent is just flushed. Be sure this is something you want to do.

My own experience, fully restoring a 260Z required two cars (about the same shape as the one you are considering), three years of intensive work and well over $30K to complete. Yes, it is gorgeous and sometimes wins its class in local shows.

At $350, that's more the price of a parts car and that might be a good buy cuz you can probably sell lots of the parts and make some more money for a better purchase.
I found a few eBay listings for the glass. Looking at about 220$ plus shipping for the three. Not sure if they'll sell fast or not but I'll have to look into it. I haven't even gone to look at it yet, still awaiting some more info before I do. I know it's in rough shape though. As for losing interest im good. I owned my Z for a while and I would work on it daily. This is what I love to do. I don't want to do a full restore, but I want a running and driving car. I don't mind how the outside looks a Z turns heads either way. As for the price I figure if I buy it and it's not worth it I can part it out or sell the hull for scraps.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Yeah, check my edit. I missed that you stated what level you were after. I updated my post at the same time you were responding.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Yeah, check my edit. I missed that you stated what level you were after. I updated my post at the same time you were responding.
Okay got some info,
Gas tank was cleaned last year. So it's in good shape.
Rust is just the typical Z rust
Shocks are in decent shape not great
Good Tranny
Runs and drives
Just installed lower gasket kit, but needs upper gasket kit to run.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 AM
Pez

You can easily make your $350 back by parting it out, or you could make that money back by getting it running and reselling it.

I have no regrets about buying my Z or even what I paid for it, but if there is one thing I wish it is that I paid more to start with a better one than the one I have.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy that one, you will get it running and have a great car to keep you out of trouble and you will have no regrets. If it were me though, I would look for better bones to start with.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pez
You can easily make your $350 back by parting it out, or you could make that money back by getting it running and reselling it.

I have no regrets about buying my Z or even what I paid for it, but if there is one thing I wish it is that I paid more to start with a better one than the one I have.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy that one, you will get it running and have a great car to keep you out of trouble and you will have no regrets. If it were me though, I would look for better bones to start with.
Yeah that's what I figured. Even if I buy it and decide that it's an easy flip for a profit and I can find something better. But I don't really want good bones right now. I want something I can just work on. But at $350 I'm sure with a good motor/tranny I can make money
Old 04-28-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by EHutton
Yeah that's what I figured. Even if I buy it and decide that it's an easy flip for a profit and I can find something better. But I don't really want good bones right now. I want something I can just work on. But at $350 I'm sure with a good motor/tranny I can make money
Heck, maybe with a good motor/tranny you can keep looking for another car with a blown motor/tranny.