ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   WOOT goin to test drive !! FINALLY (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/woot-goin-test-drive-finally-1349/)

turrbo 02-17-2002 10:55 AM

WOOT goin to test drive !! FINALLY

wooohooo found a z locally heres the ad:
74 260z, lt blue, straight 6- 280, 4 spd, new : alt, battery, stereo, rims, tires, shocks. very clean 25mpg. $4500.

i called and its some gal with a kid, shes moving and it sits in her garage she drives it like once a week if that. has a 280 block but is carburated. she apparently bought it from a collector who repainted and rebuilt it.
anyhow im meeting her in an hour ill post how it goes !!!!

turrbo 02-17-2002 01:03 PM

Re: WOOT goin to test drive !! FINALLY

test drive results:
well the lady is kind of a nut wouldnt ever shut up, not sure if this was to distract me or shes just nutty.
anyhow the engine compartment and tranny looked absolutely spotless, very clean. had some rust in front of the windshield and a spot or 2 on the fenders.
had nice wheels and tires, sound system w/ 6 speakers and an amp, but the interior was basically old and worn. everything worked cept the clock and choke.
car was straight had a few dings here and there. when i jumped on it on the freeway it puffed black smoke and the exhaust had an odor to it (too much fuel?).
the engine is apparently a L28 but has carbs, has plenty of power.
seems kinda high for 4500, i offered her 3500 and she said no hehe. so we kind of agreed on 4000, i told her id figure out my monies and think about it overnight.
any opinions?

rigez 02-17-2002 06:58 PM

I think you $3500 is more than fair for a car that is puffing out black smoke. Time for a rebuild on that puppy. How bad is the rust? Clocks always die and chokes are easy to fix. Ask her if it passes the smog test.

$4500 yeah right....I might be jaded because I just bought a 76 280 for $450. It has rust in the doors some light rust on the front fender and major rust on the left rear qtr panel but the engine runs strong. I've already picked up to doors to replace the old ones for $53 bucks and have a line on a rear qtr panel.

I say push for $3000 and settle for $3500.

turrbo 02-17-2002 08:24 PM

no smogs up in my area, its 74 anyhow so exempt.
Isnt black smoke overcarberation(sp)? only does it if i floor it, otherwise not at all.
rust doesnt appear bad, none in engine compartment or underneath that i could see. what i really liked about the car is under the hood, absolutely spotless i mean u could eat off the engine it was so clean, everything was painted, polished or chrome. well at least now i drove one, if this isnt the one for me im definately getting a Z one way or another, love at first drive :)

Skaitan 02-18-2002 11:24 AM

Black smoke says to me that you're jetted too rich in the carbs. If it was *blue* smoke, then we'd have another problem, but black can be fixed easily. I'd say that 4 might be steep (I'd have to see it personally), but if you really want it and it's really the car for you, work out a deal that you can live with.

The Beast is back and badder than ever!

gfkeph 02-19-2002 02:02 PM

If you didn't buy it yet, then pass on the 4 grand. There are many Z's on collectorcartrader.com for 4 grand that sound like they would be better than the one you're checking out. I bought my 78 280 no rust car in AZ for 3500. Needs some work, but much better doin it on a no rust car than one with "some" rust. Dude...check out the floor panels and the frame rails before you buy.

turrbo 02-19-2002 03:40 PM

yeah i didnt buy it, i think for 4g i should be able to get a real nice one, and since then have found a garage that works on and sells only z cars ...im gonna go check them out.

Skaitan 02-20-2002 02:13 PM

Good plan man, go for the best you can find, don't get one until you find the "right" one. You'll know when you see/drive it. :)

The Beast is back and badder than ever!