240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

What the hell is wrong this time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:32 PM

What the hell is wrong this time?

Hey guys and gals,
Ok, yesterday I was driving my 280 and I noticed that when I downshifted, the engine seemed to shudder. I thought that was odd. So today after work, I tried to start the 280. After a little coaxing, it started and I started to warm her up. I then tried to put her in gear, but it wouldn't go into gear. Finally after some strong-arming, she went into gear and then the engine died. I couldn't get it started, so I went inside, had a beer, and tried it again. Same thing, it started, idled for a few minutes, and wouldn't go into gear. What gives? The only difference I can tell is that it is a hell of alot colder today than yesterday. HELP.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:29 AM
The Evil Twin

Something could be wrong with your clutch. I'm not sure what, but it may not be disengauging properly... seems strange that you were able to drive the it the day before though. Try putting the clutch pedal all the way down and then moving your foot off to the side to let the pedal slam upwards. Do this a few times while the engine is idling. Then try to get it in gear. Oh, and don't have too many beers before driving home!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:50 PM

I'll try that. Could the cold weather have anything to do with it? Also I was wondering what I can do to make it easier to start her when it gets cold?

Terry
Old 11-14-2003, 02:58 PM
the Dude

check to see if your slave cyl. is sticking, sounds like it's not engaging the clutch all the way, and your motor stalls out
Old 11-14-2003, 04:44 PM

Alright, I did what you suggested above, but no luck. But I did notice that when the car was not running, I could easily shift into all 4 gears and reverse. But when it started, no dice. Could this be the tranny?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:07 AM

Well, I put the car in gear while it was turned off, then I started it and it is definitely the clutch that is gone. I am going to have it towed later in the week for repairs. I don't have the time nor the knowledge to fix this myself. I did have another question regarding downshifting. When I down shift to slow, the car seems to shudder as I am letting out the clutch. What is this?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:41 PM
I have a present for you...

One more thing before you take her apart. You could have water condensed in your clutch fluid. When it gets cold enough it will freeze. When you press the clutch in it will damage the seals in the master and slave. Your clutch does sound like it's gone south but since you have to have the work done I'd hate to see you pay for something you might not need. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:50 AM
The Evil Twin

I suppose you could look under the car and actually pry or press on the clutch fork. This is the metal tab that sticks out from inside your transmission. The clutch slave cylinder pushes on this. maybe have someone in the car press the clutch pedal up and down and see that the slave cylinder has good movement too and pushes the clutch fork.

If it doesn't move then your problem is lots of air in the clutch line or a bad cylinder on one end or both.

Carefully, you could pry the fork back and see if the car goes in gear. Be very careful if you have the car up on jacks, running, and someone under the car prying on the transmission! You didn't get this suggestion from me if something bad happens!