ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/)
-   -   Went out to start the car this morning and there's (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-260z-280z-s30-forums-9/went-out-start-car-morning-theres-705/)

ratedZ 08-26-2001 12:52 PM

Went out to start the car this morning and there's

Disregard my first post as I have new findings...

Hey guys...don't know if everyone has read my post about my start up problem so I'll explain the problem. My Z just started doing this at start up. It seems to do it more when it sits for a few hours in the sun. I went out this morning to start my 83 zx turbo to see if it smokes and to see what color the smoke was. I turn the key on and it starts and dies. I turn it again without gassing it and it starts with a puff of white smoke then clears out once it starts to idle. Not a lot of smoke just a puff. So I turn the engine off and re-start it again...it starts right up with no smoke. I do this again a couple of times and again it starts up with no problems and there is no smoke to be seen. Why is it doing that? Like I said it only seems to do this when the car sits for a few hours...I know my Z runs a little rich but even at wide open throttle it doesn't smoke...only now it started with this start up thing. There are also times when I would have to turn the engine and pump the gas a few times to get it started and it seems to blow out more smoke when I do it this way. Other than this problem the car runs fast...the water in the radiator looks good and I never have to re-fill it so I don't think it has to do anything with the gasket...it does burn a little oil but seems to be ok as I keep it checked. It idles good and it has not suffered any on the power department. Could it be sensors going out giving the ecu a bad mixture reading or is it something worse??? I need help guys...seeing a puff of white smoke when I start my Z makes my stomach turn. Thanks.

ratedZ

ratedZ 08-26-2001 01:12 PM

JUST HAD A THOUGHT would a bad turbo do this?

I was just thinking and doesn't a bad turbo make a car smoke? Well my turbo is on it's last leg and it resonates real loud while boosting...I have the replacement but didn't change it yet. It has been making the resonating sound for some time now and I think it's about to die. I remember reading about bad turbos making your car smoke...would that have anything to do with this problem. Don't know I'm just throwing this one out there...

ratedZ

ratedZ 08-26-2001 02:43 PM

OK it's been about two hours and I re-started it

...and it did the same thing. I tried starting it the first time and it didn't start...soo I turned it over again and fired up with a puff of smoke. Just keeping you guys updated.

SleeperZ 08-27-2001 01:22 PM

Re: Went out to start the car this morning and there's

White smoke to me means water or water&coolant. Since it only puffs when it's been sitting, either there is some condensation happening in your intake or exhaust, or you have a small leak from your water jacket into a cylinder. It still could be the head gasket even if you don't notice the level going down, because it might not be that much, just a teaspoon or so. Maybe you could let it sit for a while, then pull the plugs and see if you can smell coolant, or shine a light to see it.

I seriously can't think of anything else, I've never heard of bad mixtures or any other fluids that make white smoke. I overheated a Honda of mine once, and that's what it did - but my leak was so large, the engine would hydrolock occasionally.

'78ZXT

ratedZ 08-27-2001 04:14 PM

Re: Went out to start the car this morning and there's

Thanks for your help...I'll let it sit for a day and see if it I get any coolant on the plugs. I did take it to a Z shop though and they inspected everything and they said that everything was ok. As for the smoke their blaming it on bad gas. They told me to use mid grade fuel from Texaco and let them know if the problem persists. Personally I thought it could be the valve oil seal...but they said it's not. I'll take their advice for now as they are a good Z shop and I'll also check for coolant. Thanks for your help.

i8anTm 08-29-2001 08:34 AM

Re: JUST HAD A THOUGHT would a bad turbo do this?

i havent had that with my z (thank god) but did have the same thing with an old chevelle. turned out to be 2 things. valve guide for the smoke,(1 puff and gone) and the single stall on the cold start was attributed to the butterfly on the carb. turns out that good ole pollution and humidity was making it sticky. a good scrub on the edges of the butterfly with carb cleaner and a scotch brite periodically took care of that. (might try that on the throttle body butterfly.. it is cheap and easy) still have the 1 puff start (last time i saw it that is....... step son driving it and is in college)...would be a good motor for the z even with the puff. just a thought

dave